More radar questions

HoneyViper

I've noticed that when I bring the radar elevation down below the horizon line all the ground reflections start showing up on the display. This makes it impossible to search and track aircraft that fly below the horizon (ie when I am flying high). How are we supposed to search without all that interferrence? Is there a way to filter out the ground reflections? Surely it can pick up the doppler effect of moving aircraft over the non-moving ground.

Surely it can pick up the doppler effect of moving aircraft over the non-moving ground.

It's not a modern radar, what is the size of the target aircraft.

You are not expected to search for targets by yourself, rather be guided towards the target by GCI/AWACS and know the targets BRAA (Bearing, range, altitude and attitude).

For a similar sized fighter (co-altitude and hot), NASA tested a prototype (APQ-153) in 1974

• At 20,000 ft AGL, detection range was approx 9.25 Nm

• At 2,500 ft AGL, detection range was approx 5 Nm

I don't know what the range is in DCS.

Edited by Ramsay
spelling / typo

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You are not expected to search for targets by yourself, rather be guided towards the target by GCI/AWACS and know the targets BRAA (Bearing, range, altitude and attitude).

For a similar sized fighter (co-altitude and hot), NASA tested a pro-type (APQ-153) in 1974

• At 20,000 ft AGL, detection range was approx 9.25 Nm

• At 2,500 ft AGL, detection range was approx 5 Nm

I don't know what the range is in DCS.

Thanks Ramsay, makes sense. I think I found the NASA report you're talking about too.

I've noticed that when I bring the radar elevation down below the horizon line all the ground reflections start showing up on the display. This makes it impossible to search and track aircraft that fly below the horizon (ie when I am flying high). How are we supposed to search without all that interferrence? Is there a way to filter out the ground reflections? Surely it can pick up the doppler effect of moving aircraft over the non-moving ground.

IIRC the F-5 radar is a simple Pulse radar, that is not Doppler capable and hence has no look down capability (unless over the ocean or at very high altitude).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Follow-up question to this, I did the AWACS Hunt mission that comes with the module. I flew up with my flight of F-5Es, plus some other flights in the air at the same time. As we were flying towards the mission area, one of my wingmen who was alongside me said 'CONTACT BEARING 328 FOR 80'. My read of this is that he was telling us that he picked up a contact at 328 degrees 80nm away. But how could he have done that if the F-5E radar has a max range of 40nm?

Pretty sure it wasn't our AEW&CS either as he hadn't taken off at that point.

Follow-up question to this, I did the AWACS Hunt mission that comes with the module. I flew up with my flight of F-5Es, plus some other flights in the air at the same time. As we were flying towards the mission area, one of my wingmen who was alongside me said 'CONTACT BEARING 328 FOR 80'. My read of this is that he was telling us that he picked up a contact at 328 degrees 80nm away. But how could he have done that if the F-5E radar has a max range of 40nm?

AI are super human in some aspects. Quite annoying and immersion braking.

Ive even had wingman calls at 380km (was flying in the MiG-21 with AI wingman). So I just get of their frequency until I need them.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

That's the superhuman DCS AI...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

As we were flying towards the mission area, one of my wingmen who was alongside me said 'CONTACT BEARING 328 FOR 80'. My read of this is that he was telling us that he picked up a contact at 328 degrees 80nm away. But how could he have done that if the F-5E radar has a max range of 40nm?

The enemy's A-50 shows up on the F-5E RWR search 'mode'.

IRL one method would be to use triangulation to estimate range and bearing.

DCS's AI detection logic is simplified, so it 'knows' range and bearing when a contact shows up on it's RWR i.e.

It'd be more realistic if the AI just called out the RWR bearing i.e. 'CONTACT BEARING 328'

Edited by Ramsay
Add wish list item

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080