Best Nvidia drivers for 2.5

As the title say what do you guys find to be the best ones. I am running a 1080 and did have the latest ones installed when 2.5 dropped but due to all the stuttering issues with 2.5 at launch i rolled back to 388.77. is it worth installing newer ones now as it seemed that disabling my second monitor was the cure to my lockups.

I have a GEForce GTX Armor 1070 8Gb GPU and experienced problems with the updated 399.xx driver. I reverted to the 388.13 and uninstalled 399.xx and conflict went away.

So many variables and changes these past three weeks it's hard to tell if the new driver was the problem or not. I'm leaving it 'as is' for now hoping everything will stabilize.

This is supposed to be fun.

3ab3fdb8ef200433e1c232ecb92cf88ee28540be0f2470d8f849f91ee3ab39cb.jpg.a4e8c9761f614e34a3685c00ee7ae819.jpg

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit

For VR 388.59 made huge Difference compared to newest drivers.

How so? What is the huge difference you speak of?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

How so? What is the huge difference you speak of?

Last couple of Nvidia drivers are having an issue with VR.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035590/official-390-77-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-1-29-18-/

From the 390.77 release notes:

-After PC is left on for extended period of time, HDCP may be lost cause HTC Vive/Oculus Rift to launch to a black screen. Rebooting PC resolves issue.

In my case, causes my Rift at times to not disengage and go into standby when closing Oculus Home. ( white light stays on in headset rather than turning amber).

Requires a reboot of the PC or restart of the Oculus Service to get it back.

I am running the 390.77 and use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service momentarily, and then start it again to get headset to go to standby when it happens to me.

I have not noticed any performance issue with these drivers though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Last couple of Nvidia drivers are having an issue with VR.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035590/official-390-77-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-1-29-18-/

From the 390.77 release notes:

-After PC is left on for extended period of time, HDCP may be lost cause HTC Vive/Oculus Rift to launch to a black screen. Rebooting PC resolves issue.

In my case, causes my Rift at times to not disengage and go into standby when closing Oculus Home. ( white light stays on in headset rather than turning amber).

Requires a reboot of the PC or restart of the Oculus Service to get it back.

I am running the 390.77 and use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service momentarily, and then start it again to get headset to go to standby when it happens to me.

I have not noticed any performance issue with these drivers though.

ohh heck, that explains a few misfirings when launching DCS in VR lately.....DANG!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

As the title say what do you guys find to be the best ones. I am running a 1080 and did have the latest ones installed when 2.5 dropped but due to all the stuttering issues with 2.5 at launch i rolled back to 388.77. is it worth installing newer ones now as it seemed that disabling my second monitor was the cure to my lockups.

I had issues with 390.xx driver, first attempt to install failed badly and was not operable on any level, in widows or for any gaming, this has not happened for years with previous driver updates.

Thorough clean out of all Nvidia drivers and software and started again with install, this time it appeared to install correctly, but another issue surfaced after running my system and then putting it to sleep mode, when brought out of sleep mode the windows desktop had glitched graphics all over the place and running very slowly, very quickly the video driver actually stalled and failed, requiring a total reboot.

So once again thorough clean out of all Nvidia driver and back to 388.71, all good again.

Boy that was a waste of time, I will wait for a couple more driver versions before I try an upgrade again.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

went back to 370.65 via DDU yesterday. Better overall. The latest one bugs the 2d desktop when mining btw. Also VR issues with the latest & greatest ( reported ).

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I updated to 390.xx the other day using DDU. First instance of DCS refused to show anything but black in the headset, but looking on the monitor is was tracking as it should. Redid the install using DDU and it has worked fine since. No decrease in FPS noted. Specs below :)

I went back to 388.71, after trying the 390.xx. Staying put for now.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

390.65 also acts up, grrhhh, if it happens again I am back to 388 for now.

VR worked with the apps included, had a kids Bday and they all went into my little cave playing VR. They really love it ;) But it hung up once in RoboCall ( no OC at all ) and isnt really overclocking friendly when you push the RAM by accident 1k Hz above the limit = Instant Freeze HAHA. No kidding, I think the 390s are not really ripe as of now, YMMV.

Wonder what it would take to have Nvidia take a shot at optimized drivers for DCS?

DCS is still changing way to much for that, at least not till after ED implements the Valken API and gets that optimized (Two weeks lol)

It may not even be need or have any more benefit having Nvidia optimization after Valken.

"NVIDIA has worked closely with the Khronos Group, the creators of Vulkan, throughout its development, and as of today all Kepler and Maxwell graphics card running Windows 7 or later, or Linux, are supported by Vulkan.

"This immediate support is already enabling developers to craft new experiences, with John Carmack, Oculus Chief Technology Officer, saying, “We have been using NVIDIA hardware and drivers on both Windows and Android for Vulkan development, and the reductions in CPU overhead have been impressive." Full article

This should make some real difference to DCS and how much bigger it can go, I imagine it being able to have quite large battles in SP and MP. Something had to be done, looking forward to it.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• 4 weeks later...

388.71 it is

Just tried 391.01 and immediately started to notice stutters and frame skips. OK, went back to 388.71 and all is well again - silky smooth, no glitches. Both drivers were (re)installed clean, i.e. all NVidia entries and profiles were deleted from the disk and the registry beforehand + a reg cleaning app run before applying the driver. I also let the sim rebuild all the shaders after each install just to stay on the safe side.

So yeah, I'm definitely going to stay with 388.71 from now on ;)

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

..........Something had to be done, looking forward to it.

Absolutely !

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a small note, but I did a comparison between a randomly selected 39xxx series driver and the 388.71, and the latter beats the former hands down. So it seems that this particular driver is for some reason a very good one for DCS indeed! Just wonder why exactly...

Just for a balanced opinion, I have to say results may vary and everyone should do a quick check on their particular PC.

I use P-51 Caucasus takeoff instant mission for quick fps comparisons (as it has good selection of hardware-raping stuff like clouds, low sun, civvy traffic nearby etc.) and looking at my notes from mid-March, 388.71 looses 4-8 fps in cockpit view (front-back-left-right) and 6-9 fps in F2 view compared to recent 397.93 with the same settings.

Mind you, my 388.71 notes were taken a couple of patches ago, so maybe it's just DCS getting somewhat better optimized lately, or the dreaded Microsoft security patches got the performance back to pre-Spectre hysteria on my Win7 config, but I don't plan to go back to these drivers. Might give them a try again from micro-stuttering-troubleshooting point of view, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yah Art, it all depends. But for my particular HW/SW setup, this driver seems the best so far. Should've said YMMV right in the beginning though, of course ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Searching for help and found this thread. Just bought a new GTX1080 after many years with AMD and wanted to know what the better driver for DCS is. Still 388.71 is the best for now? Don't wanna start a fresh install with several drivers reinstalls until finding the one working with DCS, you know.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice