HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Fixed IPD and such a narrow FOV still...I can’t wrap my head around all the interest in this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Buckeye, I think I can speak for most on this thread, those that are looking at Reverb for different reasons can speak for themselves.

Some like a wide FoV. Others are looking for resolution. Horses for courses. Clarity over viewing angle is my primary concern.

Rift very rarely makes me feel as if I am wearing a diving mask, unless I deliberately look for it. I look past it. So in this respect, no problem.

Rift lacks resolution and now the wow factor of sitting in a cockpit is wearing off, this is becoming more apparent with cockpit textures taking huge leaps, and esp with ground objects and with the detail within the PG map. It will be nice to see skyscrapers not blurry from 6000ft above them.

Reverb ipd is not "fixed". It is changed through software and can accommodate my own 64mm required adjustment.

Even my overclocked 2080TI would fail miserably in driving the PD the Reverb is offering, in DCS and with a wide FoV. So in that respect, wide FoV is moot.

It would be nice to have both, but we will have to wait five years or so for the hardware, so we play the cards we are dealt with.

This is where the interest is coming from.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Does anyone know what the fixed IPD is of the HP Reverb and what it's range is through software adjustment?

I have IPD of 60mm. The IPD adjustment on my Vive goes down to 60.8mm minimum which is close enough but not ideal. Rift S is not an option being fixed at 64mm.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

• ED Team

shouldn't be a problem whatever it is, I would assume it can be changed in the registry past any set value, just like current WMR headset.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

I’ve read numerous places that there is no IPD adjustment and the company has said “the sweetspot is big enough, you don’t need to be able to adjust it.”

Guess we will need to wait and see, but if that’s the case, some people on the upper or lower end might be left a bit disappointed. Hopefully if they are taking that stance, there’s a software level adjustment for all users.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The software only adjust the world scale, it does not change the optics.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The software only adjust the world scale, it does not change the optics.

Right, it’s 100% a cost cutting measure and inferior to a true mechanical adjustment.

Sadly Oculus continues down their cost reduction for the masses path and is doing the same with the S: https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-ipd/

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Fixed IPD and such a narrow FOV still...I can’t wrap my head around all the interest in this one?

25 ppd...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

25 ppd...

110 FOV...

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Does anyone know what the fixed IPD is of the HP Reverb and what it's range is through software adjustment?

I have IPD of 60mm. The IPD adjustment on my Vive goes down to 60.8mm minimum which is close enough but not ideal. Rift S is not an option being fixed at 64mm.

Reverb is said to be 63mm with +/-8mm adjustment

Reverb is said to be 63mm with +/-8mm adjustment

Relevant for comparison sake: http://palmerluckey.com/i-cant-use-rift-s-and-neither-can-you/

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

63mm + 8mm software adjustment.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

110 FOV...

Buckeye. We get you like pimax.

All we ask is you stick to the facts when posting on this thread. You appear to be making it up as you go along.

"No ipd adjustment". WRONG.

"110 degrees FoV". WRONG.

Remember, people are reading this thread and others in order to make an informed decision about a significant financial commitment.

Peevish post finished. Let's move on with the thread. :)

I read your Palmer Luckey blog with interest. Palmer has my greatest respect for what he has done for us, a true genious. However, rightly or wrongly; he was fired by Oculus and that will affect his objectivity somewhat. Whether intentional or not, there will be a little "over egging of the pudding" in his blog. He certainly seems very bitter.

I do concur that a mechanical ipd adjustment would have been a far better solution, but again, you play the cards you are dealt. As it happens, my particular IPD is in the "sweetspot", as will be most people's, since it is the highest percentile value. However, it is certainly another thing to think about when making a purchasing decision.

If you have eyes like baby Stewie on family guy, you may want to give the Reverb a miss.

Pimax is out of the window for me because of the cost of the headset, plus the cost of the lighthouses on top. I can see more bang for the buck in the Reverb than the pimax. This may not be the case with current Vive owners.

Edited by Tinkickef

110 FOV...

Yeah, thats exactly how you get better PPD. More pixels in a smaller FOV. You want FOV and worse ppd (~17-18 ) go buy a pimax. The #1 thing I want out of a headset is better visuals, right now this thing is the most promising way to do that.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

"No ipd adjustment". WRONG.

"110 degrees FoV". WRONG.

He is right on both things though.

Software IPD adjustment will only correct the world scale and stereo effect. It won't correct image quality. You can already do "software IPD adjustment" in DCS, just play with it to see what it does. How much of a problem it will be, it's yet to be seen. That will depend on the device optics and personal preferences.

Reverb specs say 114 degrees diagonal FOV. That's in the same ballpark as other headsets except Pimax.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Actually sofware ipd could move the images around on the screens too. Thus far no one knows how its gonna work.

Actually sofware ipd could move the images around on the screens too. Thus far no one knows how its gonna work.

Gotta agree with that statement. None of us know for sure what the software-based IPD function is going to do. All we're doing is speculating based on the technology that we already know about, when its entirely possible (and very likely) that these HMD manufacturers have come up with something new. Its pointless for people to keep bickering about something that hasn't even been released yet, and a little silly to immediately write something off because of what we think we "know".

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

As I said, that fixes the stereo effect, so you won't have to unnaturaly cross your eyes. But if your pupils are not in the place where the lenses focus the light - good luck with fixing that in software.

Guys, it's not magic, it's optics. There are already many headsets with software IPD adjustments on the market (psvr and most wmr headsets). Go check out how they work.

The only variable here in layman's terms, is the size of "sweet spot", which depends on the lenses shape and size. It's quite possible that it will be a tad bigger than in current headsets, maybe at a cost of other things. But it's just something that requires attention, and needs case by case evaluation. Especially if your IPD is different than 63-64.

• ED Team

I have an IPD of 70 and use a dell visor which does not have a software slider that will adjust that high. I use the registry edit to change the value.

The sweet spot on the DELL Visor is very small and I have no issues, I don't see it being a problem for the reverb.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Nice...nice. But i have a but.. How in the hell can we have good FPS? In the Rift i have now 45 FPS straight with medium settings. I have quite a good system (see under). Plans to be upgrade..yes.

Rift s and Rift are the same FPS.

Can i hold the 45 FPS straight?! I am afraid not!

I think it drops to 20 FPS. not playable....or ?

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• ED Team

I am getting the same currently around 45, 30 on the ground, but it is smooth and I have no issues tracking or feeling sick.

I would look at it like investing in the future, ED have talked about vulcan and I would like to think once we do see it frames would improve for VR and make using the next gen headsets more viable.

I am very interested in reverb, I hope we see more reveals and eventually users with hands on reviews

That doesn't seem right. You should have more than 45fps with that rig surely...

45fps = ASW kicking in. What happens if you force it to be off?

Well it's buttersmooth + quality picture (i cranked the settings up to 4*msaa+ 16*AF). :D

I use OTT.

Well i know the CPU is holding back. I have plans for the 3700X, but i wait for reviews. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Haha! No wonder!

I've got a link to a video where someone who has tried the Reverb has been told by HP that a 1070 or 1080 would drive it if you dropped the settings. (

- 9min 20)

Going to hope that having a PD of 1 or less with settings lower would give a better pic than my CV1 with PD 1.5 and lots of quality.