Tips and hints for a perfect landing

nessuno0505

New Huey pilot.

Equipped with Thrustmaster t.16000m flight pack (hotas + pedals).

No curves nor deadzones.

Use VR (oculus rift).

I can manage runway landings, but I Always stop and hover ahead of the runway numbers, that should be my Landing marks.

Tried oil Platform Landing in bad waether (in quick missions) 3-4 times without success.

Ok for transition lift loss: when I slow under 40 knots, I have to add collective and left rudder, that's ok. But the most challenging part for me comes before: I try to explain:

I should have to slowly and constantly loose speed and altitude during approach; the problem is that if I move cyclic back to slow, the huey GAINS altitude! And that's obvious, I should lower the collective too. But I find very difficult to match the right amount of cyclic back and collective down in order to loose both speed and altitude. Sometimes I loose speed but gain altitude, arriving over the oil Platform in hover but 500 ft and more above it, some other times i loose altitude but arrive too fast at the edge of the Platform, some other times I loose altitude too fast entering vortex ring state. Is it only lack of practice? Need help from more skilled pilots...

Edited by nessuno0505

the platform is higher than ground effect.

so you are entering a out of ground effect hover (OGE). if not over the platform.

then when you edge over the platform you get ground effect and enter in ground effect hover ( IGE).

which gives you more lift.

so you have to be prepared to reduce collective as you edge over the platform.

its the same with landing on high roofs.

so try coming into a stopped hover before the platform and then edge over onto the platform slower.

also if you are not used to weather then make sure you are pointed into the wind. this is very important in helicopters.

the mi-8 more than the huey but its still a lot easier into the wind. because it gives you translational lift. again what you may be noticing.

EDIT: if you land down wind you will enter VRS at higher speed.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

make sure you are pointed into the wind. this is very important in helicopters.

I go sailing IRL, so I should be able to understand where the wind come from... BUT: IRL i can watch chimney smokes, flags, waves direction. Is all this stuff implemented in DCS? And if not (it seems to me it's not, but I could be wrong), how can I understand from where the wind blows?

I go sailing IRL, so I should be able to understand where the wind come from... BUT: IRL i can watch chimney smokes, flags, waves direction. Is all this stuff implemented in DCS? And if not (it seems to me it's not, but I could be wrong), how can I understand from where the wind blows?

Maybe, wind just gives a relative airflow over the rotor giving a level of ETL. Wind is a bit off in DCS, especially windsocks and the way the grass blows and such.

This is separate to IGE/OGE but additive in effect.

The wind sock seems to be wrong, chimney smoke seems okay. Nuff said. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

coming to a stop in a helicopter is exactly the same as in a sailboat :)

get to where you want to stop and turn into the wind.

with the oilrig you need to remember the direction from the briefing.

once you get used to the power and pedals you will just windsock it :) I e approach and let the wind turn you into it.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Add a windsock to the area around the landing pad if there isn’t a flag near by

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 8 months later...

I've managed it :D:joystick:

you're supposed to hover - if even barely - and then land, not slide in.

Hover landing you can practice anywhere.

The 'flight envelopes' of a Huey a. >80 knts stay altitude b. 80 knts stay on altitude cruise c. 60-20 knts descending @ -500 f/min d. 20 knt anticipate 'sink', anticipate yaw e. 10 feet come to 0 knt hover with pitch, chk yaw d. 5ft come to 0 knt hover horizontal chk yaw e. touch down with minimal descent rate.

Read the manual, carefully, copter aerodynamics.

2 cts

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |