[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] A-G radar mode – will there ever be one?

karpiyon

You are forgetting the the other sim had that A-G radar working from day One.

And they only had to improve it

They have not really improved it. It is still the same extremely simple radar in it, using cheats and cutting corners because simulating the radar is not a easy task, it is similar like a building a dynamic campaign.

You can always go with your fan game where they simply use the ground terrain texture and unit ID's at the known distance from the aircraft and render white blobs on radar scope. Yes, you get a working from day one but it is cheat because it doesn't care anything about trees, nothing about terrain features, nothing about unit concealments, angles, types etc. It is made just for enjoyability to learn the specific behavior. And that is what ED is exactly avoiding now with their A-G radar, making it actually mattering a lot that where the ground units are, what kind terrain there is, what kind elements etc there are.

As real A-G radar is not all seeing, all powerful, perfect like in your liking other "simulator" that doesn't even simulate the radar.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Cripes! I'm comparing when the other sim started which had the radar and when ED started the F-16. Do I really have to explain that?

From the context (someone criticising ED for taking 5 years with no A2G Radar released) that ‘the other sim’ should be expected to have an A2G Radar as it has been around since 1998, which infers that you find it acceptable for ED to not have an A2G Radar after 5 years of work, but that sometime between there and 20 years is a point at which it would be expected.

May I ask therefore when would be the point in time at which it would be ‘too long’ for ED to deliver a ground radar?

• ED Team

Hi all

A reminder

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are not recommended as they can create personal friction with users who enjoy such products and potentially create issues with competitive manufacturers which is not helpful. We do not allow the reviewing of, or direct comparison of other competitive software here.

Please continue A2G Radar discussion, but without the comparisons. Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

From the context (someone criticising ED for taking 5 years with no A2G Radar released) that ‘the other sim’ should be expected to have an A2G Radar as it has been around since 1998, which infers that you find it acceptable for ED to not have an A2G Radar after 5 years of work, but that sometime between there and 20 years is a point at which it would be expected.

May I ask therefore when would be the point in time at which it would be ‘too long’ for ED to deliver a ground radar?

You'll have to show me where it says the F-16 radar has been worked on for 5 years. Isn't that what we're talking about?

Buzz

BMS falcon AG rader is so good,

Because it is extremely simple and cheating one. Something that should not be used at this era at all in any means.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Meanwhile ED has worked on a "prof of concept" to build the A-G radar technology into DCS engine. When has "promise" ED a date to deliver / release them?

So by that logic, we could not have A/G radar by 2030.... Is this the same "prof of concept" for several other pending matters like usable night lighting, dynamic campaign, fully functioning clouds that don't have MP issues????

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

Trying to bring this back to focus I will emphasis that I do enjoy DCS with all it's (many) limitations.

After reading the replies here I understand that development of A-G radar had started a long time ago and that there is no predication of when it will be available.

Yes it's not trivial to create a simulator but again, more than 5 years for this A-G radar is way too long.

Because it is extremely simple and cheating one. Something that should not be used at this era at all in any means.

You are missing the point.

5 years is an unacceptable period for developing the radar program.

Still it's all just code! Not real life radar.

People are writing code - they are not developing a real radar, which by the way takes less than 5 years to develop.

This dude sounds like a BMS troll.

Which is not the point.

The point here is that you should stop being so protective.

Sometimes, an outsider, or a XXX troll as you say, may see things some guys just take for granted.

I don't buy all this talk about the "engineers" working on the radar development.

They don't - these are programmers.

If you keep justifying them and be so sympathetic they will never deliver it.

For all the money people spent on this GAME i'd expect more.

Edited by karpiyon

Maybe it's taking so long because it's so difficult. Has anybody else done it so far?

If ED wanted to simplify it we would have it. Is that what you want?

I don't buy it - I tell you it takes less time to design the real radar - not the game version.

I't not that simple but it can be accomplished if you put the time and effort in it.

It should have been there if they'd put the resources.

Instead they rush on delivering more incomplete models.

Which is not the point.

Sometimes, an outsider, or a XXX troll as you say, may see things some guys just take for granted.

I don't buy all this talk about the "engineers" working on the radar development.

:thumbup: x1000

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

You'll have to show me where it says the F-16 radar has been worked on for 5 years. Isn't that what we're talking about?

No, we’re talking about the AG Radar that has been worked on since April 2015 (earliest wip pictures of it).

It was being developed for the Hornet at the time.

Which is not the point.

Agreed

No, we’re talking about the AG Radar that has been worked on since April 2015 (earliest wip pictures of it).

It was being developed for the Hornet at the time.

No, the conversation we were having was the other sims F-16 radar and the DCS F-16's.

I'm sure ED wants the radar done more than we do. He's not finishing it to just piss us off. There has to be a good reason. I'd like to hear it but that's up the ED.

Buzz

Then the conversation moved onto whether the A2G radar is fully simulated or ‘game’ simulated -

Either way 5 years to code a radar simulation seems excessive when we saw wip shots back in 2015.

As some people are so fond of saying, tech is built then added to planes. If the tech existed 5 years ago, why do we still not have it?

DCS started in October 2008 (Wikipedia - caution).

It is actually the continuation of Flanker1.5 ...

One of my favourite sim back in mid 90'

... IIRC, I bought it in 1995

It is as enjoyable gameplay as any game from 90's where you once learn that AI is cheating or you are cheating and the illusion is over.

Hi!

Could you please teach me about "AI cheating" ? (in Personal Message)

Regards.

Edited by BIGNEWY
fixed youtube

Sorry but...Did you not realize you were opting to buy into an Early Access Module?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10