SW radio question

Jarlerus

Hi.

It's come up, in our flight Group, that the Ka-50 has, IRL, a third radio (Short Wave) that's not available in-game, and therefore not usable with SRS.

Only way is to activate Extended Radios in SRS, but we're not keen on activating this feature on ALL modules.

The question is: Is this radio coming for the updated Ka-50?

Alternatively (SRS question): Is there a way to only enable this feature for the Ka-50?

Thanks,

/Jarl

Never heard about a SW radio on board of a Ka-50 or other Russian helicopter. Do you have a source for this?

This is the evidence posted in my flight-group:

(I don't know anything about the Ka-50, so any explanation of this is very much welcome ^^ )

unknown.png?width=716&height=570

True that. Well, the Ka-50 has the R-800L1 and R-828 radio. The dial your picture shows is just the SPU-9 intercom dial, which is in use on a lot of Russian aircraft. Just having a label SW on that dial doesn't mean that the Ka-50 has a SW radio equipment. I guess that's why there is no radio on board.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

True that. Well, the Ka-50 has the R-800L1 and R-828 radio. The dial your picture shows is just the SPU-9 intercom dial, which is in use on a lot of Russian aircraft. Just having a label SW on that dial doesn't mean that the Ka-50 has a SW radio equipment. I guess that's why there is no radio on board.

Hello

Shortwave radio (SW) is mainly used to communicate internally with the Ka50 group.

Contradictory statements.

Does the Ka-50 have, or not have, a radio for communication within the Ka-50 group?

As I understand it from Kappi, is that the SPU-9 is OTS hardware that has an intercom setting, that is not used on the Ka-50.

As I understand it from Ghost_Dragon, is that it _has_ a SW radio-option that allows groups of Ka-50's to talk.

Which one is true?

//Jarl

Hello,

I'm talking about the use in the game.

According to the user manual, chapter 2-5

"The Ka-50 radio communications suite includes two R-800L1 and one R-868 VHF transceivers; an automatic data transmission system that updates ground controllers of the helicopter’s position and performance; the SPU-9 intercom system; the P-503B device that records any signals coming through the pilot's headphones; and the Almaz-UP-48 voice message unit (VMU) system that is capable of providing voice warning reports to the pilot of eleven types of flight emergency situations.

The Ka-50 is also equipped with an IFF transponder, the ARK-22 radio compass, and the A-036A radio altimeter."

Hello,

I'm talking about the use in the game.

According to the user manual, chapter 2-5

"The Ka-50 radio communications suite includes two R-800L1 and one R-868 VHF transceivers; an automatic data transmission system that updates ground controllers of the helicopter’s position and performance; the SPU-9 intercom system; the P-503B device that records any signals coming through the pilot's headphones; and the Almaz-UP-48 voice message unit (VMU) system that is capable of providing voice warning reports to the pilot of eleven types of flight emergency situations.

The Ka-50 is also equipped with an IFF transponder, the ARK-22 radio compass, and the A-036A radio altimeter."

Please help me: Does it say anywhere that the Ka-50 has a SW radio, in addition to the R-800L1 and the T-868 transceivers?

As far as I can tell, it does not - Therefore Kappi seems to be correct in that the SPU-9 is just an OTS piece of hardware, and there's not actually a SW radion in the Ka-50.

//Jarl

Edited by Jarlerus

There are 3 radios in the Ka50. The Short Wave is one of them, but it is using a fixed frequency with no possibility to change it. Use it for communication within a flight.

I'm looking for (any) proof of this claim.

Do you have any?

If it can be proven, a smaller question would be: Why did SRS move it from their normal sets of radios to the "extended radios" option?

//Jarl

There are 3 radios in the Ka50. The Short Wave is one of them, but it is using a fixed frequency with no possibility to change it. Use it for communication within a flight.

AFAIK, the "three radios" in the Ka-50 does not refer to any HF radio.

One of them (called VHF-1) is the R-828 VHF for comms with ground forces, since they normally operate in that freq band (20-60 MHz).

The other two of them are the V/UHF R-800L1 and R-800L2, they are used for voice-comm and for the datalink. The L1 is the VHF-2 listed.

And no, by "ground forces" I do NOT mean "ground crew" - you communicate with those guys over the intercom.

Do you have any?

If it can be proven, a smaller question would be: Why did SRS move it from their normal sets of radios to the "extended radios" option?

//Jarl

You should ask this in the Russian forums. That's where the developers hang out. They can answer your question with full authority.

Just use some translation site like google translate or Yandex to ask your question in both English and Russian. You can then translate any answers in Russian with same.

I've had a lot of hard questions about the Ka-50 answered there.

• 1 month later...

As a person interested in radio and radio comms I'll give some info, though possibly not a definitive answer...

1st a matter of nomenclature...

Waves (Short Wave, Medium Wave, Long Wave) are mostly analogous to Frequency (LowF, MedF, HighF, VeryHhighF, UltraHF, SuperHF).

Medium Frequency is 300KHz to 3MHz

HF is 3MHz - 30MHz, VHF 30MHz-300MHz, UHF 300MHz - 3GHz.

There are sometimes other defined ranges, but these are the most common.

As for US Military UHF starting at 2xx MHz it's technically VHF, but as it crosses into the UHF range, and to save confusion vs VHF airband we just call it UHF.

Higher a frequency, shorter the wavelength.

So Short wave is kind of same as saying that the frequency is high.

The term Shortwave most often used to refer to long distance broadcast radio stations & frequencies, typically in the range of 3MHz to 60MHz.

Now, onto the Shark, the R-828 radio is capable of TX/RX from 20MHz to 60MHz (channels programmed in the mission editor) thus this could be considered short wave, but it is said in the manual that is it the VHF-2 radio.

Weather the designation of VHF-2 is correct or not, I'm not sure, possibility exists there might be an error based on the following...

1) 20-60MHz is pretty much short wave

2) The Ka-50 is a modern (relative to the Mig15 for example) platform, and modern machines usually favor higher frequencies.

That said, some HF is reserved for it's good long distance / non line of sight properties for JTAC/FAC type comms or other ground<->air stuff (you see the folded up HF antennas on these guys backpacks).

Remember, this is all theory based on my civil understanding of radio comms and the operating characteristics of different modes and frequencies.

It's all feasible, but there is still a fair chance they have done it different and have a second SW (in addition to the VHF-2 that partially covers the top end of HF and bottom end of VHF wich could legitimately be called a SW unit and given the wrong position on the switch????).

If you find out for absolute sure from a rock solid source I'd love to know the answer!

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

Do you have any?

//Jarl

I am not trying to prove anything. The SW position was used as a third radio the moment a third party voice software was available for DCS and the Ka50. I talking about the first implementations of Univers Radio years and years ago.

I have no idea if this is realistic or not, it is just a commodity for multiplayer missions as the comm plan can often becomes a bit complicated when more than 4 or 5 flights are involved and it is nice to have a channel that you can use easily and quickly to chat with your wingmen. Since all modules have at least 3 radios, why not the Ka50. Now if this goes against anyone's sensitivity, he should feel free to disable the extended radios option in SRS or just not use the SW position in the cockpit for comms. I'd rather have too many choices than not enough.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello

In order for the SW radio to work, the "Radio Expansion" option must be activated on the SRS server.

Shortwave radio (SW) is mainly used to communicate internally with the Ka50 group.

Hello Ghost, do you have any kind of procedure to do that ? parce que hein, ça m'intéresse fortement c't'histoire !!!

++

The Ka-50 modeled in-game does not have a short wave radio. It mentions that on page 6-105 of the extended manual.

2. The intercom source selector dial for the SPU-9 has four settings: [LALT + LCTRL + /]

 “(СА)УКВ-2” (VHF-2) – Selects the VHF-2 R-800L1 radio.

 “УКВ-1” (VHF-1) – Selects the VHF-1 R-828 radio for communications

with ground units.

 “КВ” (SW) – Short waves band. Not used.

 “НОП” (Ground crew intercom) – used to communicate with ground crew through the wired telephone. When rearming or refueling at an airfield or FARP, you will need to select this setting to communicate with the ground crew unless the cockpit door is open and the rotors are not turning.

• 4 weeks later...

It does have a short wave on board :)

and i agree that would be another cool feature for the updated one :D