How to land in an orderly fashion with AI?

I'm curious how everyone manages their AI wingmen on returning to base.

I've made a number of training missions using the Nevada map, and when returning to Nellis from the north, no matter how I order the wingmen around, or whether I fly straight in or via an overhead break, it's just a complete disorganised mess, with aircraft going everywhere. It happens with 2 and 4 ships flights, though it's obviously more noticeable with more aircraft.

Apart from just sending them RTB from 10+nm away, is there any way to arrive as a 2-4 ship formation and all land in an organised fashion?

Edited by norman99

Is "close formation" even still an option? I can never find it in the comm menu.

This wasn't really intended to be a bug report, just a question on techniques people use to arrive with AI wingmen, in a controlled and repeatable manner. I think it would gain a larger audience, and promote some discussion, if this was returned to the main board instead of hiding my question away in a bug sub forum.

Honestly, I have given up on landing in an organised fashion. I just tell them to anchor somewhere near the airbase, land on my own, and when I'm close enough to landing to know they won't crash into me I order them to RTB.

So basically AI behaviour is so porked at the moment, the only solution is to just get rid of them and do your thing solo? Wow. I thought there’d be more to it than that.

Pretty poor state for a product claiming to be the most realistic air combat simulator available.