Question.: F18c reverse taxi on carrier

delevero

DCS: Tow Tractor

Awesome product - Well worth the US$ 9.99 ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I misspoke. I intended to say that I would want to be taken to the engine start location, i.e. no backing up reqd, then can startup and taxi per normal. Maybe with deck crew directing me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It raises the question how involved is going to be the hangar-to-hangar evolution? Do you spawn in the engine on spots or elevator or hangar deck? Where does the airplane go when you land? Agree that some kind of visual direction is needed. They are there for a reason in reality.

It raises the question how involved is going to be the hangar-to-hangar evolution? Do you spawn in the engine on spots or elevator or hangar deck? Where does the airplane go when you land? Agree that some kind of visual direction is needed. They are there for a reason in reality.

I think, as we are the virtual pilots, we should spawn where the pilot climbs into the aircraft.

I've never served, and have only very limited knowledge of flight deck ops, but I would imagine the pilots climb into their cockpits at the engine on positions, after the tug has towed the aircraft there for sequencing. That point, at the engine on position, should be where we spawn in the cockpit, IMO.

P.S. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about where the pilots meet the aircraft.

I think, as we are the virtual pilots, we should spawn where the pilot climbs into the aircraft.

I've never served, and have only very limited knowledge of flight deck ops, but I would imagine the pilots climb into their cockpits at the engine on positions, after the tug has towed the aircraft there for sequencing. That point, at the engine on position, should be where we spawn in the cockpit, IMO.

P.S. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about where the pilots meet the aircraft.

There are times when a pilot will get into an aircraft that is already started; the vast majority of the time their jet is cold and dark.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

There are times when a pilot will get into an aircraft that is already started; the vast majority of the time their jet is cold and dark.

Thanks for the feedback. What I meant was, I think we should spawn with the aircraft in the flight deck position where the engines are started, but in a cold and dark setup. I probably wasn't very clear, but the option to spawn "hot" could be useful for those occasions you memtioned

Thanks for the feedback. What I meant was, I think we should spawn with the aircraft in the flight deck position where the engines are started, but in a cold and dark setup. I probably wasn't very clear, but the option to spawn "hot" could be useful for those occasions you memtioned

You can't have a cold and dark setup with the engines already started...

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

You can't have a cold and dark setup with the engines already started...

I read it like that first off, but I think he means spawning at the position where you would start the engines, not spawning with the engines started.

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

A simple solution would be the best. No need for a towing simulator. Just a simple F8 ground crew option with push back commands like: push back 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, ..., "untill stop" and "stop" would work.

That would work for the Hornet but would not be possible for the Tomcat at least not in real life, I worked on Tomcats for years and you can't get that many people to push it back because of the large intakes and weight.

Hawkeye

VF-213 XO

VCVW-11

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

http://www.vcvw-11.com

Heatblur F-14 SME

On recovery on an actual carrier the plane typically taxis to the six pack and then shuts down and is towed to it's squadrons parking area, for instance, Tomcats were almost always parked on the fan tail, from there the pilot would come out start his aircraft and taxi itself out to the catapults for launch and finish all OBC, and flight control checks . They can't do all checks in the parking area because there wings are typically still stowed.

Hawkeye

VF-213 XO

VCVW-11

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

Heatblur F-14 SME

That would work for the Hornet but would not be possible for the Tomcat at least not in real life, I worked on Tomcats for years and you can't get that many people to push it back because of the large intakes and weight.

Hawkeye

VF-213 XO

VCVW-11

I don't he meant it like that - just as a menu deck crew command to move the aircraft back.....in whatever way they choose :)

JJ

I don't he meant it like that - just as a menu deck crew command to move the aircraft back.....in whatever way they choose :)

I wasn't sure because we litterally would push back Hornets on the deck all the time, they were light enough to do it but one of the few planes that could be actually pushed back.

Hawkeye

VF-213 XO

VCVW-11

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

Heatblur F-14 SME

I wasn't sure because we litterally would push back Hornets on the deck all the time, they were light enough to do it but one of the few planes that could be actually pushed back.

Hawkeye

VF-213 XO

VCVW-11

Ok I see what you mean - yeah the Tomcat is certainly in a different league in this respect.

JJ

I read it like that first off, but I think he means spawning at the position where you would start the engines, not spawning with the engines started.

That's what I meant. Spawning where you would start the engines, but in a cold and dark jet. The carrier version of Takeoff from Ramp in the ME. Sorry for the confusion.

Hawkeye

VF-213 XO

VCVW-11

Quite interesting info :thumbup:. Yeap, English is obviously not my native language :). The idea is just to have a menu command that would make the plane moving back in some magical way.

By the “ground crew” I just meant the menu section to add such command to (as I guess there is no “flight deck crew” section as for today). If the plane is actually being pushed back by a crew or a tug wouldn’t necessarily have to be animated. Just leave it to the simmers imagination ;). Kind of like the "connect ground power" request where (aside of one module) DCS does not show any GPU being actually connected to the plane.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Quite interesting info :thumbup:. Yeap, English is obviously not my native language :). The idea is just to have a menu command that would make the plane moving back in some magical way.

By the “ground crew” I just meant the menu section to add such command to (as I guess there is no “flight deck crew” section as for today). If the plane is actually being pushed back by a crew or a tug wouldn’t necessarily have to be animated. Just leave it to the simmers imagination ;). Kind of like the "connect ground power" request where (aside of one module) DCS does not show any GPU being actually connected to the plane.

Typically we would do push backs in between traps, to get them out of the way of incoming A/C

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

Heatblur F-14 SME

Typically we would do push backs in between traps, to get them out of the way of incoming A/C

Yep, usually, because turn geometry just wasn't quite there and the nose stuck out past the foul line( or the pilot or handler screwed up the turn..haha:shifty:).

Also, tugs were mainly only used in between opps to tweak AC parking spots and to move them to and from the elevators. The only time used during opps were for emergency purposes, say to get an AC out of the way that had no pilot in it. Usually, it was for larger AC like an E2, COD or a 14. Like Hawkeye above said, 18s could be pushed back by hand.

Edited by walleye62

Yep, usually, because turn geometry just wasn't quite there and the nose stuck out past the foul line( or the pilot or handler screwed up the turn..haha:shifty:).

Also, tugs were mainly only used in between opps to tweak AC parking spots and to move them to and from the elevators. The only time used during opps were for emergency purposes, say to get an AC out of the way that had no pilot in it. Usually, it was for larger AC like an E2, COD or a 14. Like Hawkeye above said, 18s could be pushed back by hand.

Yep , I was in VF-213 when I was in the Navy, and we were always on the fan tail having to help with those push backs all the time, oh those were the days lol.

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

Heatblur F-14 SME

calls to 'Scottie' in the engine room (Star Trek).... give the carrier more power Scottie, into the wind, to push my shuttle pod back using wind..... Scottie: I can't give the carrier any more Captain', she'll blow....

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

thank you

Hi guys.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the many good, and funny comments to my origial tread about "reverse taxi on carrier".

I did not imagined today there would have been 45 posts, but never the less thank you for the interest.

And ofcourse I still hope to see some kind of reverse feature to make it a little more easy to park og to get unstuck on the carrier ;-)

I think this video illustrate pretty good, why it could be usefull to reverse or park a plane in dcs he he

Here's some surprising trivia for you folks paying attention. In my time with the Hornet, I never was in the cockpit during any towing procedures. All towing happens with the aircraft shutdown and no pilot (deck crew was is in the c/p sometimes). This was to minimize any risks when towing occurred.

The deck crew were trained how to work with a towed aircraft and not the pilots.

It is true that planes were towed during flight ops, I remember a few times seeing planes right next to me being towed around but they were planes unmanned and shutdown.

I remember this one time at dusk, I had just started the engines and was looking down when all of a sudden I had this feeling (out of the corner of my eye) that my plane was sliding back and was about to fall off the edge, when in truth it was the plane next to me being pulled forward. I can't tell you how much a jolt that was to my nerves because I was in no position to eject if my plane fell over and would be in dire straights had that happen.

So basically once a pilot is in his plane, he is expected to maneuver to the cat position without any backing up. The flight deck management and crew did a terrific job of making sure the planes were in the right position to minimize any traffic jams or awkward positions to require backing up. Plus the hornet did a great job of turning around with little forward movement required.

Could a towing occurred with the pilot in the jet?, sure but it was rare.

I don't remember having crew do a quick pushback for my plane but I am sure it happened especially when the flight deck's non-skid treatment wore off during deployment making the planes much trickier to drive around the deck.

Edited by neofightr

Great post Neo! It's great to hear from an actual pilot. The question is how should ED simulate this for us? I personally would like this as realistic as we can simulate.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Great post Neo! It's great to hear from an actual pilot. The question is how should ED simulate this for us? I personally would like this as realistic as we can simulate.

Yeah but just remember they have limits with the engine. Who knows how much extra coding would be required to simulate a bustling flightdeck.

Who knows maybe it will eventually be an add-on pack for the standalone carrier module. Time will tell.

My priority whishlist for them is to produce a really detailed carrier module that focuses on the unique aero physics of landing on the ship along with the grading system used by pilots.

Having a bustling flight deck with realistic landing and t/o ops would definitely be the icing on the cake.