ESAc_matador

Would you buy fictional maps?  

928 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy fictional maps?

• Yes
    • No

YES

NO

I love to se our "mother earth" from the sky, but for combat and navigational purposes... would not be great to have even fictional maps??? The task to create it should be much easier, and the possibililities infinite!

So, would you buy a fictional map if it has all your geographical requirements?

I am sorry, I dont know how to make a proper poll

Absolutely NOT.

Edit: Why don't you just create a poll?

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Plus one for fictional maps, way better all round I think. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

As DCS is a simulator realized in meticulous detail, it's only fitting that the maps are also as accurate as possible, the foundational standard being that they are real world locations.

That's my opinion.

• Like 3

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Semi-realistic please. No need to be ultra realistic by all the roads, railways, bridges, hills etc. As long you get the general area right and then randomly generate the towns, roads etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

What is the point of fictional maps? Aren't there enough regions of the real world to be replicated? What would you do regarding navigation and mapping? Seems to me this is an utterly nonsensical suggestion.

So no!

And why couldn't you have done this as a poll if you want to do market research? I suspect you haven't really given this much thought at all have you!

• Like 1

Nah.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As long you get the general area right and then randomly generate the towns, roads etc.

+1 Not a bad idea at all. Would speed up the creation process as well, so this is something the devs should actually look into IMO.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

No for me.

I actually would like the present maps to be even more realistic. I want them to be consistent with WGS84 so it would be possible to export position data to my phone, preferably in-game suport for GPS export (NMEA). Not for cheating, only to be able to fly and have real world maps.

(I do this all the tim in X-plane and Prepar3D)

And it would make it possible to combine several adjacent maps for the same flights/missions if there ever will be adjacent maps...

Edited by Holton181
  • Like 1

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

What is the point of fictional maps? Aren't there enough regions of the real world to be replicated?

The point is or should be: it is much easier to create a fictional 500x500 miles map, than recreate real ones. Arent people asking for tools like Create airports?? Buildings??

What would you do regarding navigation and mapping? Seems to me this is an utterly nonsensical suggestion.

Arent guys making its own TACAN or Beacons?? it is not that difficult to make your own charts... i dont feel it is nonsensical at all. in fact, In our squadron, we added couple of TACAN in northern Caucasus... Or made our own aproximation Charts for certain airports.

And why couldn't you have done this as a poll if you want to do market research? I suspect you haven't really given this much thought at all have you!

Again... because I dont know how to make a poll... (mentioned already twice).

However...

If realism is what bothers you... I wonder, how do you play then in Normandy with our spits or Bf109K... There is a good mixture of airframes, which is really "unrealistic". If think, that if you make a concession, by flying a "fictional" war, why are you so bother by flying a fictional map. IF you bring A10s to Caucasus, it is as much fictional as any new map. A fictional war (which is what all Campaigns are about) in a fictional land, does not affect the realism of an airframe or the simulation. There are other really good simulators (ground) that explored fictional maps, and people are more than happy with that. I am really surprised actually with most of the answers!

I would prefer to get few maps every year, between realistic and not. Than one every3 years...

In any case, thank god, in case there are fictional maps, you can take or leave it at will.

Edited by ESAc_matador
  • Like 2

whether the map is real or fictional, we will all put it to fictional use....

which means i don't care either way

a post nuclear war map could be fun.. blown down forests, smashed cities and craters.

think post nuclear war survival in helicopters and planes.. killing each other for each others beans.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

whether the map is real or fictional, we will all put it to fictional use....

which means i don't care either way

This, for me. I love the maps we have, and appreciate the time and effort that goes into creating them but I've never flown over the Caucasus region in real life, or Nevada, or even Normandy, they could all be fictional maps and I wouldn't know any different. (Did grow up on the Isle of Wight though and the Normandy map representation of that is pretty poor! :) ).

So, yes, I would probably pay for fictional maps.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

The point is or should be: it is much easier to create a fictional 500x500 miles map, than recreate real ones. Arent people asking for tools like Create airports?? Buildings??

Arent guys making its own TACAN or Beacons?? it is not that difficult to make your own charts... i dont feel it is nonsensical at all. in fact, In our squadron, we added couple of TACAN in northern Caucasus... Or made our own aproximation Charts for certain airports.

Again... because I dont know how to make a poll... (mentioned already twice).

However...

If realism is what bothers you... I wonder, how do you play then in Normandy with our spits or Bf109K... There is a good mixture of airframes, which is really "unrealistic". If think, that if you make a concession, by flying a "fictional" war, why are you so bother by flying a fictional map. IF you bring A10s to Caucasus, it is as much fictional as any new map. A fictional war (which is what all Campaigns are about) in a fictional land, does not affect the realism of an airframe or the simulation. There are other really good simulators (ground) that explored fictional maps, and people are more than happy with that. I am really surprised actually with most of the answers!

I would prefer to get few maps every year, between realistic and not. Than one every3 years...

In any case, thank god, in case there are fictional maps, you can take or leave it at will.

So you'd be able to create a sectional chart, with all the terrain features, airport approach plates, elevation details and all the other essentials for VFR as well as IFR navigation?

Nothing to do with reality, just about making use of real world data to fly realistically on a DCS World map. Check out all the documentation easily available on-line for pilots.

I can't see creating a fictional map would be any less labour intensive than taking real relief scans and making them into usable terrain.

Regarding the polls - just scroll down to the bottom of the window when you create a new thread. The poll stuff is all pretty self explanatory - unlike how terrain and maps work together work it seems!

Edited by NeilWillis