DCS Normandy 1944 : Add Winter texture to the Wishlist

bghvip

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about a winter texture for Normandy, is this. By the time the winter of 44-45 arrived, the war had moved away from Normandy. Most of France was in Allied hands.

Now you could, of course, fly out of England and "make believe" that it's 1943 or '42. But if you want to be historically correct, you wouldn't be flying missions from a snow covered Normandy airfield.

I agree with hgvip. I’d say probably 80% of people don’t fly historically accurate missions, so yeah, bring all seasons to Normandy, have a nice change.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

The thing about a winter texture for Normandy, is this. By the time the winter of 44-45 arrived, the war had moved away from Normandy. Most of France was in Allied hands.

Now you could, of course, fly out of England and "make believe" that it's 1943 or '42. But if you want to be historically correct, you wouldn't be flying missions from a snow covered Normandy airfield.

if u want a historical correct mission, the devs would need to delete a couple of airfields on the map anyway as pointed out by a couple of members here. the current plane setting we have isnt historical either when its about normandy. so...winter cant hurt imo, as its impossible anyway to create historical missions on current normandy map.

if u want a historical correct mission, the devs would need to delete a couple of airfields on the map anyway as pointed out by a couple of members here. the current plane setting we have isnt historical either when its about normandy. so...winter cant hurt imo, as its impossible anyway to create historical missions on current normandy map.

With the P-40F we would have two Allied a/c that were operational in '43. Anyway a winter texture would be a bonus. The missions I am interested in take place from Jan - Jun '44 so ideally we could have two winter textures, one with snow and one that is late winter/early spring when there are no leaves on the trees but not much snow. Launching sorties across the channel in March with the air temperature 5°C and bright green fields with fully leaved trees is a bit of an immersion breaker.

Nineline has confirmed on several occasions that the map is feature complete. Our best hope is that Barthek or someone else like him takes an interest and makes a texture mod that covers the AGLs so we can choose to use them or not and gives us a winter texture.

Our best hope is that Barthek or someone else like him takes an interest and makes a texture mod that covers the AGLs so we can choose to use them or not and gives us a winter texture.

Indeed.

'Tis a shame that we have to hope for community mods for this though.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

winter textures would be a bonus indeed. BUT what i would really like to see, is the implementation of speedtree and with this the implementation of proper hedgerows typcial for this area. now we only have trees surrounding the fields. this doesnt look correct and not good either imo...

Speedtrees indeed AND the option to turn off all those ALG's. The map is great but locked into a very small time window....:(

Yes! I would dearly love to see:

1. The ALGs changed to a "removable" feature, and

2. Completing the "placeable" airfield asset in the mission editor so mission makers can add correct period airfields for specified dates.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

2. Completing the "placeable" airfield asset in the mission editor so mission makers can add correct period airfields for specified dates.

1+

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

+1

I also agree with the OP.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

+1 to both.

And by "placeable" airfield, this also means you can spawn there (i.e. cold start). I know there is a "grass field" object in the mission-editor, but you cannot start there... only land and then leave again (as per the recent Yak-52 example).

There is a mod that allows spawning anywhere on the map. Works in MP and only the mission maker needs to have it installed. Problem is you can’t refuel/rearm/repair and you get a loss every time you switch planes which is an issue if you care about your scoreboard / K/D. Also dcs doesn’t have proper ground physics for grass fields so many people struggled to take off when we used it on the fighting legends server (although this is easier with the recent patches).

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Not sure where it came from originally (got it from a Squadmate over the TS file browser) but I'm pretty sure its the same one as linked in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218086&page=2

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• 4 months later...

Greetings Developers,

I'd love to see the Normandy map extended to the North to either the 60th Lat or to Stamford.

This way we can encompass all of the region that the 8th occupied for bomber bases.

And while I'm speaking of bomber bases what software tools are needed to create these bases to get them in map?

Appreciate your attention and comments.

Respectfully

Snuffy