How big are these maps?

Alpenwolf

Georgia 14.8 GB (15,952,080,896 bytes)

NTTR 33.8 GB (36,381,687,808 bytes)

Strait of Hormuz 22.3 GB (24,038,408,192 bytes)

The latter likely to get bigger as airports, airbases and so on are added.

• Like 1

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Thanks for the input.

I should've had been more accurate in my question. Was referring to the geographical size. It says that the Normandy map is 267 x 348 kilometers but no such information regarding the rest.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Oh whoops, I do beg your pardon, I just had that in mind from seeing others ask how much drive space to expect to be eaten.

NTTR 605 x 605 km

Normandy 267 x 348 km

Strait of Hormuz 550 by 550 km

Georgia 500 x 500 km*

*this one I did a little googling and got that from a forum post, not sure how accurate. As for the top two I got those from an ED tester's post in a thread, which was below someone stating the size of SoH, which was not contested.

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

From what I hear from guys who own the NTTR map it's the smallest! Hmmm...

Yes, that seemed odd too, I think that perhaps the figure I got for NTTR may have been the overall size, including the low fidelity coverage. As each region could be considered to have two sets of coverage dimensions.

Georgia 14.8 GB (15,952,080,896 bytes)

NTTR 33.8 GB (36,381,687,808 bytes)

Strait of Hormuz 22.3 GB (24,038,408,192 bytes)

I can't seem to find it now but I'm sure I read that the SoH map was more like 110 GB to download/install ?

It is specifically due to this number I read (somewhere on DCS Website) that I haven't purchased this map because it would only leave me with 10 GB of space on my already half-filled SSD.

Can someone please clarify the True File Size ?

Furthermore, does anyone know if it is possible to Uninstall a Map OR redirect where a map is installed ?

If it came down to it, I'd gladly Uninstall Normandy to create space to allow me to install SoH "IF" the file is as large as I thought.

EDIT>> Actually I just found what I was looking at in the Recommended System Requirements section where it states "Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD)". On the other hand for the MINIMUM System Requirements it says "Free hard disk space: 60 GB".

So why the discrepancy ? Where did you come up with 22.3 GB for SoH Map ?

That is a HUGE difference in required Drive Space.

Edited by SnowTiger
Added Information

SnowTiger:joystick:

... redirect where a map is installed ?

Move the map folder to another drive and create a hardlink. Plenty of generic instructions out there.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

These are generic figures given for someone who wants to install the whole DCSW plus chosen module/map, not the numbers for the particular module itself. You can see all products in the ED shop have this 60/120 or 120/120 mentioned in requirements.

For the actual sizes, always check out what people write on forums.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks allot for the replies and clarification on the matter of File Size.

I have been a tad upset for a while thinking I wouldn't be able to install SoH without buying another/larger SSD. It appears my concerns were not warranted.

Thanks again.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Oh whoops, I do beg your pardon, I just had that in mind from seeing others ask how much drive space to expect to be eaten.

NTTR 605 x 605 km

Normandy 267 x 348 km

Strait of Hormuz 550 by 550 km

Georgia 500 x 500 km*

*this one I did a little googling and got that from a forum post, not sure how accurate. As for the top two I got those from an ED tester's post in a thread, which was below someone stating the size of SoH, which was not contested.

NTTR is the biggest? Wow I didn't know. I have all of them but Persian Gulf because it hasn't come out yet on steam. NTTR seems like the smallest one because.... Well it's boring. All flat land with mountains surrounding the cities. It seems like the smallest one, even Normandy seems larger because it has more going on down there. Georgia seemed large when I first got this game, now all the maps seem pretty small actually.

I can't seem to find it now but I'm sure I read that the SoH map was more like 110 GB to download/install ?

It is specifically due to this number I read (somewhere on DCS Website) that I haven't purchased this map because it would only leave me with 10 GB of space on my already half-filled SSD.

Can someone please clarify the True File Size ?

Furthermore, does anyone know if it is possible to Uninstall a Map OR redirect where a map is installed ?

If it came down to it, I'd gladly Uninstall Normandy to create space to allow me to install SoH "IF" the file is as large as I thought.

EDIT>> Actually I just found what I was looking at in the Recommended System Requirements section where it states "Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD)". On the other hand for the MINIMUM System Requirements it says "Free hard disk space: 60 GB".

Because eds information isn't accurate. All their maps said 60 GB, it's like it was a boiler plate number they just threw in there to fill the space on the website.

I don't know if they changed any descriptions since I bought, but I own NTTR and Normandy. Those were both listed as 60 GB required. They're both installed now, that should be at least 120 GB for the two maps alone. My entire SSD that is dedicated to DCS is 250 GB. The entire amount being used for the install with the maps is 105 GB. That includes the game and all the other modules I've purchased. They're clearly not accurate in the listing of requirements for the maps at the very least. I would expect the map to be in the 20+ gb size and it will grow as they add to it. I don't think it'll get too much bigger than that though. I have no idea why ED overestimates the required space by such HUGE margines, perhaps they want to give themselves room to add to the maps so they COULD potentioally get to these ridiculous sizes, but what developer in their right mind would do that? "What? A piece of DLC exceeds or takes nearly half of a hard drives available space? Our customers will just buy new hard drives, why optimize anything?" I don't for one second believe any of their maps will take that much space because it's unrealistic to expect your users to accept this and NOT seek an alternative that is more reasonable. Are we going to end up daisy chaining a hundred SSDs together because we'll eventually need an entire one PER DLC?

• 4 months later...
The following link is an online-map with the maps from a selection for flight combat simulators and flight combat games:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1nEGqkqYUGBipkmMq-NSwixdUHmU

It allows easy comparison and you can toggle on/off the different layers to look for specific features.

Thanks, that's quite nice. Some info is maybe outdated - the PG map recently got the Kerman airbase added but in this it looks like the city is 200 km north of map edge.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

For the DCS maps, the shaded areas illustrate the detailed areas of the map. The rest of the map will be process-generated, so completely generic. Kerman airbase may be hand configured, but probably just the airbase itself, and it may not be as detailed as other airbases inside the detail area.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yes, the difficult part of judging the maps in DCS is there is no hard boundary, the detail just stops.

For example, in NTTR, there should be Los Angeles in the lower left corner of the map, but since it's outside the detailed area, there's nothing there.

Also when looking at that google map, keep in mind that because of how map projection works, the area around the equator is smaller than areas closer to the poles, so you can't just compare the size of the rectancles. But you can export the map to kml and watch it in 3D in Google Earth.

The smallest DCS map in terms of detailed area is actually the Normandy map.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You guys scared me for a moment... just bought a brand new 500 GB SSD :lol: Now ED scares me a bit - the drive is almost full already... Interesting how maps take so much space, PG seems to indeed be a tad over 30GB - aircraft modules take almost nothing in comparison, I don't have many yet!

Would think there's a benefit if almost the whole map can fit in your memory too... are we talking of video or main RAM here?

Interesting approach with the level of detail, could make a lot of sense. I read some info that the detail levels are actually low - medium - high. Is there an easy way to view which areas are which in the mission editor?

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Obvious next question from the kids: how large is the usable low-quality area of these maps? And what happens when you reach the edge of the map, the game just reverses your flight direction so you bounce/tilt back at the edge? Never tried to do that yet :D

But what if I have to go and pee during the flight? I'm flying the P-51 of course :pilotfly:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1