Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

It was tight no movement at all. But it wasn't just the alignment of the lens to my pupils having to hold it...my CV1 is very clear I have no problems seeing writing on the DDI, menus etc...I expected much more from the 'S' and I felt I got a little more.

Also my peripheral clarity on the CV1 is better than the 'S' so I don't have to keep moving my head to keep the sweetspot where I'm looking.

Have you tried removing the cover to place the screen closer to your eyes? Maybe you have a big nose or somethings that is impeding a good distance.

I think new cover will come soon much slimmer that the one coming from oculus. I say this because it has been a comment i have heard from some reviewers.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I might have this asymmetrical IPD thing, as I see the right side often a bit fuzzy. I found the sweet spot by just nudging the right side up a bit, which seemed to help. There's me thinking I had a perfect shaped head and it was wonky all along.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I actually don't know my ipd but samsung odyssey says it's 62.5 or 63.5. Sometimes I move that dial with my hands by accident when I put the headset on. It's ashame they didn't do a physical ipd adjustment on the rift S. They didn't even use the alignment process they included in the first rift with the crosses it seems.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I can't even tell if it's doing anything on that software IPD setting, it looks no different to me whatever it's set to.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I can't even tell if it's doing anything on that software IPD setting, it looks no different to me whatever it's set to.

Me either. My IPD is up there too at 69.5mm. Setting it at that in the oculus setup makes no difference to any visuals that I can tell. Things are a bit blurry on the left side for me. Will be interesting to see what kind of aftermarket addons will come out for this thing since it's so spartan compared to the cv1.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Not him, but I used to use a mouse. I recently switched to an AHK script. I use modifier+hat to bind left/right click and mousewheel up/down. Then I bound the paddle on my throttle to center the mouse near the bottom of the screen, which also brings it up and makes it visible. Then I just use the head-tracking to move the cursor around. Works so well, and allows me to keep my hands on the HOTAS.

edit: Here's the script if you're interested.

JoyMultiplier = 0.1
JoyThreshold = 5
InvertYAxis := false
WheelDelay = 25
JoystickNumber = 1
CenterX = 1980 
CenterY = 1200 
toggleState := false

#Persistent

; Calculate the axis displacements that are needed to start moving the cursor:
JoyThresholdUpper := 50 + JoyThreshold
JoyThresholdLower := 50 - JoyThreshold
if InvertYAxis
   YAxisMultiplier = -1
else
   YAxisMultiplier = 1

; Start timers
SetTimer, MouseCursor, 10 
SetTimer, MouseCenter, 100

GetKeyState, JoyInfo, %JoystickNumber%JoyInfo
IfInString, JoyInfo, P  ; Joystick has POV control, so use it as a mouse wheel.
   SetTimer, MouseWheel, %WheelDelay%

Return  

MouseCursor:
if GetKeyState("Ctrl") {
MouseNeedsToBeMoved := false  ;
SetFormat, float, 03
GetKeyState, JoyX, %JoystickNumber%JoyX
GetKeyState, JoyY, %JoystickNumber%JoyY

; X-Axis
if JoyX > %JoyThresholdUpper% 
{
   MouseNeedsToBeMoved := true
   DeltaX := JoyX - JoyThresholdUpper
} 
else if JoyX < %JoyThresholdLower% 
{
   DeltaX := JoyX - JoyThresholdLower
}
else 
{
   DeltaX = 0
}

; Y-Axis
if JoyY > %JoyThresholdUpper% 
{
   DeltaY := JoyY - JoyThresholdUpper
}
else if JoyY < %JoyThresholdLower% 
{
   DeltaY := JoyY - JoyThresholdLower
}
else 
{
   DeltaY = 0
}

; Move Mouse
if MouseNeedsToBeMoved 
{
   SetMouseDelay, -1  ; Makes movement smoother.
   MouseMove, DeltaX * JoyMultiplier, DeltaY * JoyMultiplier * YAxisMultiplier, 0, R
}

}
Return

MouseWheel:
if GetKeyState("Ctrl") 
{
GetKeyState, JoyPOV, %JoystickNumber%JoyPOV
if JoyPOV = -1                                 ; No angle
{ 
   return
}

if (JoyPOV > 31500 or JoyPOV < 4500)           ; Forward
{ 
   Send {WheelUp}
}
else if JoyPOV between 13500 and 22500         ; Back
{  
   Send {WheelDown}
}
}
return

MouseCenter:
GetKeyState, Paddle, 1JoyR
if (Paddle == 0 or Paddle = 100) 
{
if (toggleState) 
MouseMove, (CenterY // 2), (CenterX // 2) - 1
else 
MouseMove, (CenterY // 2), (CenterX // 2) + 1
toggleState := !toggleState
}
Return

Left/Right click I bind directly in DCS.

I will give it a chance, thank you!
I don't have the F5 module but for most planes where I need to dial in radio frequencies or other devices that require direct input I do use the mouse to click the correct in-cockpit knobs or buttons.

If you are playing in Single Player mode you may want to try and use the Active Pause feature. Your plane will freeze in position but all your controls are still useable. It's a great training tool and I used it a lot when learning a new module. Just be advised that while you are paused, nothing else is! All other planes, missiles and vehicles will continue to move, track and fire on you while you are in Active Pause. The nice thing is you can also track and fire weapons as normal too. Only your plane is frozen in place, not your ordinance.

Madmatt

I will try this too. I also tried again a flight with F5 and find that with rift s this operations are more simple, before with cv1 the most difficult part was clicking the right knob and then check if the values are right so i lose a lot of time. But with the improved clarity i speed up this operations a lot :)

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Just flew another test mission and twice during play I got the flash of white static issue that others have reported. It actually kind of looks like the passthrough is kicking in for about 10ms or so. Im sure this has been reported to Oculus but have they commented on it yet?

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Just flew another test mission and twice during play I got the flash of white static issue that others have reported. It actually kind of looks like the passthrough is kicking in for about 10ms or so. Im sure this has been reported to Oculus but have they commented on it yet?

Madmatt

Are you sure that you aren't at your guardian zone limit? Mine is just before the desk so when i lean foward, the passthrought kick in. I use this "feature" to watch the keyboard while in dcs :)

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Me either. My IPD is up there too at 69.5mm. Setting it at that in the oculus setup makes no difference to any visuals that I can tell. Things are a bit blurry on the left side for me. Will be interesting to see what kind of aftermarket addons will come out for this thing since it's so spartan compared to the cv1.

Ditto on the IPD doing nothing, I played with it slowly going through the entire range and...nothing.

Ditto on the physical ability to move the lens, actually each lens should be able to be moved independent of the other.

Keeping the HMD tight around your head will help but it just takes the smallest movement to throw it off and have the 1 eye blurriness...I think your head may get sore after awhile from the tightness.

Same with me, never needed the IPD adjustment to get a sharp image. It´s a human factor.

Most people need IPD adjustment along the way few see sharply everything all the time.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Today i had a strange but annoying issue...i had the screens steamy after a while... probably in Italy it is already too hot for flying

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Today i had a strange but annoying issue...i had the screens steamy after a while... probably in Italy it is already too hot for flying
This happens all the time in my Odyssey and used to happen as well in the rift. Just wipe them with a very soft cloth. It's moisture from the environment and for example when you are breathing, air gets up on the lenses too. Sometimes if the headset is not right on my face the lenses keep getting fogged up.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

No worries, let me tackle your questions one at a time.

#1 PD - I assume you mean the Pixel Density. So, I believe at the moment I reset it back down to 1.0, but that's because I was doing some tweaking and comparisons. You will see the biggest improvement in quality going from 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3. Beyond that it becomes a matter of diminishing returns where the improvement in visual quality begins to lesson and impact to framerate increases. You will need to try for yourself but with a 1080TI anything more than 1.5 may be pushing things a bit too far.

#2. That resolution number is only the resolution of what is displayed on your monitor, also referred to as a VR Mirror display as its mirroring what you see in VR, Yes, you will most always have that being displayed when you play VR games. The reason you are seeing it say 1280x1024 is because that must be your monitors native resolution. Mine says 3440x1440 because I am using a bigassed 34" monitor and that is the resolution it runs at.

#3 Yes, that is normal. As to performance impact, there could be some overhead if your main monitor display resolution is larger that what the VR system is outputting, but in this case its simply rendering out at a lower resolution of what you are seeing in VR so you are fine. I could probably gain a few FPS by lowering my display resolution a bit, and sometimes do but since I alternate between VR play an Track IR, I just leave it at my native screen size then I don't have to screw with it. Again, for you, just leave it alone.

#4 No, that would sort of defeat the purpose of the 1 to 1 motion of your head and what is being displayed through the VR lenses. Checking 6 in VR is a chore because of much more limitd field of view than what you get in reality and you really have to crane your neck around to see. My recommendation...Swivel chair. :) As VR headsets evolve and increase their field of view levels, this will get better. I've heard that those playing with a Pimax headset and running at 150 degrees of FOV, checking 6 is very easy. With the Rift S, we are done to maybe 100 degrees, perhaps a bit less.

#5 I don't use any voice activated commands, rather I run with a Warthog HOTAS and use the excellent CTS application from HomeFries (check out the Thrustmaster subforum for details on this app if you use a Warthog or Cougar HOTAS) which really expands what my HOTAS can do. I also have 2 Thrustmaster MFD panels placed roughly where they would be in a real cockpit and through muscle memory can usually click the right buttons when needed...more or less. Apart from just a few select keystrokes (like Escape and maybe the keys to toggle on various outside views), I never use my keyboard while playing).

Hope that all helps. Really, all the graphics settings are going to be for you to test out. What is acceptable framerate and visual quality to me might not be the same for you. Use my settings a baseline, but don't be afraid to play with then to find your own sweet spot.

Good luck and welcome back to DCS!

Madmatt

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and clarifying a few things for me. I dont have the Warthog, but my X52 isnt too bad for programming button presses. I am having difficulty with the big learning curve going from the Hog to the Tomcat at the moment though!

Any idea what I can do to reduce the fuzziness of text on the DDI. It almost hurts my eyes trying to read it and I need to to get really close to make it legible.

Thanks once again.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Any idea what I can do to reduce the fuzziness of text on the DDI. It almost hurts my eyes trying to read it and I need to to get really close to make it legible.

Have you tried increasing the "Res of Cockpit Displays" setting?

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and clarifying a few things for me. I dont have the Warthog, but my X52 isnt too bad for programming button presses. I am having difficulty with the big learning curve going from the Hog to the Tomcat at the moment though!

Thanks once again.

Try reducing the brightness slowly till it sharpens.

The cockpit displays are at 1024 (but not sync every frame).

The brightness of the DDI? OK will try that thanks.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I always have a fan blowing air at my face which keeps them fog free 100% of the time. I just adjust the wind based on how hot I am getting but you dont need much to keep them from fogging.

A few Glitches

So, I'm pretty new to DCS and totally new to VR. Just got the Rift S. I originally had the "fog" problem and found out it was (as someone else noted) just heat/steam. I aim a fan at my face now and it's corrected. I still have a few issues....

One is that sometimes (seems random) the DCS menu screen (and ultimately the cockpit) appears to be 2 inches from my face. In the cockpit, my face is literally against the front of the canopy. Sometimes I'm shifted to the right... One time, I was actually viewing the plane from the center of the canopy - if i leaned right a few inches I was outside the cockpit. Mostly, though, when I start the game, I'm way too far forward.

Second issue is the "jitter". Everything is "shakey", i.e. a "tremble" of everything I'm looking at.

I have seen a few moments of absolute awesomeness but that is quite rare, unfortunately. I'm hoping that these are basic setup features - anyone else experience this or have advice?

I'm running an Alienware laptop. i9, 32GB ram, 1080 GPU.

Thanks!

Edited by FarmBuyer

So, I'm pretty new to DCS and totally new to VR. Just got the Rift S. I originally had the "fog" problem and found out it was (as someone else noted) just heat/steam. I aim a fan at my face now and it's corrected. I still have a few issues....

One is that sometimes (seems random) the DCS menu screen (and ultimately the cockpit) appears to be 2 inches from my face. In the cockpit, my face is literally against the front of the canopy. Sometimes I'm shifted to the right... One time, I was actually viewing the plane from the center of the canopy - if i leaned right a few inches I was outside the cockpit. Mostly, though, when I start the game, I'm way too far forward.

Second issue is the "jitter". Everything is "shakey", i.e. a "tremble" of everything I'm looking at.

I have seen a few moments of absolute awesomeness but that is quite rare, unfortunately. I'm hoping that these are basic setup features - anyone else experience this or have advice?

I'm running an Alienware laptop. i9, 32GB ram, 1080 GPU.

Thanks!

Maybe some tracking issue?

Is there enough light in your room?

By the way, to re-center the VR view use numpad 5

And any idea about your fps? Are you well around 40 or much below?

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Post your graphics settings, FarmBuyer. You should also grab Oculus Tray Tool. It has a performance overlay that can give you your FPS in VR. The Rift S's native refresh rate is 80Hz. If the game can't run at 80fps, it drops to 40, and the Rift extrapolates every second frame to generate an 80Hz image (this algorithm is called Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW)). This allows for pretty smooth performance even when you can't hit the native refresh. If you can't maintain 40 however, then you will get some pretty awful stuttering. DCS is VERY demanding in VR.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

You can also do like I do - as I don't like having to fumble with the keyboard after I have the headset on.

In the game controller settings, scroll down the aircraft listings toward the bottom, there you will see where you can bind both VR-Renter and VR-Zoom to button on your HOTAS.

Can also assign mouse functions to buttons as well in there.

So when I load up a mission for the first time after launching DCS, once in cockpit I just hit my button I assigned as VR Re-center and I am good to go for that session.

Be aware these assignments in the UI Layer are global, and not individual plane specific.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you for the re-center advice - will try that. Lighting could be an issue - it is a bit dim but I mean it is a lit room. I'm in a very small studio in the woods.

Let me ask - as far as lighting, I have some lamps I can direct but overall, they don't totally light the room. Should I point them at the wall that my desk faces to illuminate that?

As far as FPS, how do I check that?

Thanks Again,

Dooz

Thank you for the re-center advice - will try that. Lighting could be an issue - it is a bit dim but I mean it is a lit room. I'm in a very small studio in the woods.

Let me ask - as far as lighting, I have some lamps I can direct but overall, they don't totally light the room. Should I point them at the wall that my desk faces to illuminate that?

As far as FPS, how do I check that?

Thanks Again,

Dooz

I would indeed try the wall in front of you... but that's just a guess.

To show fps: left ctrl + pause

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Post your graphics settings, FarmBuyer. You should also grab Oculus Tray Tool. It has a performance overlay that can give you your FPS in VR. The Rift S's native refresh rate is 80Hz. If the game can't run at 80fps, it drops to 40, and the Rift extrapolates every second frame to generate an 80Hz image (this algorithm is called Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW)). This allows for pretty smooth performance even when you can't hit the native refresh. If you can't maintain 40 however, then you will get some pretty awful stuttering. DCS is VERY demanding in VR.

Will do! Is there a way to automatically pull gfx settings for posting? I will say this - day 1 (May 22) when I got the Rift S, I left my graphics settings as is (high/nearly maxed). When I was just now experiencing the "jitter/jiggle", I had lowered the gfx settings to "minimum".

So, I will check my FPS if I can figure out how..

Thanks again!