F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 01:55 AM   #81
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

It's nice but it won't be cheap. The Warthog is already an F-16 stick. I see no reason to change it.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #82
Tazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteHype View Post
I came across this from a post on ED somewhere.

http://realsimulator.com/html/f16sgrh.html
I've seen that too. Although initially excited, I'm not optimistic at all about the price, considering the price of the other products... I'm often checking though, just in case...
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #83
Tazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
It's nice but it won't be cheap. The Warthog is already an F-16 stick. I see no reason to change it.
Warthog has a tendency to break though, when used with a force sensing mod, as many have documented. The realsim one, has eliminated this weakness.

Last edited by Tazman; 06-14-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Wrong verb tense
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #84
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Warthog had a tendency to break though, when used with a force sensing mod, as many have documented. The realsim one, has eliminated this weakness.
Yes, with force sensing it has a problem, but it was never designed to do that. Shapeway makes the part that breaks. I'm not sure it will hold up to force sensing?

The problem with force sensing is it's a commitment to the Viper. I also like the P-51 and it wouldn't work well for that.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #85
Cupra

I like the Realsimulator things, but their force sensing part is worthless with this big size

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz| ASUS Sabertooth Mk2 | ASUS R9 290 4GB | DDR3 16 GB RAM | Windows 10 Pro | BMS 4.33U4 | DCS World 2.2 | Thustmaster HOTAS Cougar | Thrustmaster Cougar MFD | TIR 5 + Track Clip Pro
Cupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #86
Supmua

I've been using my Warthog grip with FSSB R3 lighting base as my main for almost 2 years now, nothing is breaking as far as I'm concerned and it remains my favorite combination of stick and base.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #87
CybrSlydr

So, I've also made a post in the PC hardware section about a HOTAS, but I figured I'd talk to you folks here as well since you probably didn't see the other one.

Quote:
Hi folks! I gotta admit, this F-16C module they're working on has me more excited for DCS in a long time. I was an avid Falcon 4.0 pilot back in the day, back when the Cougar HOTAS came out. I had a huuuuuuge desire for one of those but never got one - mostly due to the cost.

Now we have this module coming out and I want to get a HOTAS. Here's the problem.

I don't like rudder pedals.

lol If I did, I'd probably save up for the Warthog HOTAS and get some pedals, but I've grown to love the twist rudder. It's so much more convenient and takes up a lot less space.

To that end, it looks like my only real option is the Logitech X56 HOTAS. The few reviews I can find about it say that it's lacking in build quality - and I want something that's durable.

So, do you folks know of any boutique builders of HOTAS or something similar that has a rotational axis built in?

Any input is helpful!
In that thread, someone suggested a 160000M with a Virpil throttle to obtain my twist rudder desire.

Is there a way to mod a Cougar to have the twist axis?

Appreciate your folks help!
CybrSlydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #88
Kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
So, I've also made a post in the PC hardware section about a HOTAS, but I figured I'd talk to you folks here as well since you probably didn't see the other one.

In that thread, someone suggested a 160000M with a Virpil throttle to obtain my twist rudder desire.

Is there a way to mod a Cougar to have the twist axis?

Appreciate your folks help!
I'm not sure if you can mod the cougar for twist. Maybe with the right base?
Instead of the X56 you could try to find an X65F, it has force + twist. The joystick doesn't move at all though. Just through pressure. Takes a bit to get used to but is very precise.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #89
CybrSlydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteHype View Post
I came across this from a post on ED somewhere.

http://realsimulator.com/html/f16sgrh.html
I'm very much interested in this. Video shows it has yaw control!

Wonder what the price will be?...
CybrSlydr is offline   Reply With Quote