What breaks?

I've had the Gazelle for a day now and written of a load of 'em. The problem seems to be that if the take off is anything less than dead smooth, i.e. a tiny bounce and a scrape of the skids (What else are they for?) the helicopter refuses to even attempt to get itself off the ground. The engine is still running but no amount of working the collective has any effect.

If, rather when, I make a smooth take off she is a sweetheart, but one that is very fragile.

What am I doing wrong? Because I can't find anyone else with the same issue. :(

At a guess either your collective is mapped backwards and its set to 100% the moment you take off which will break the helo. Also seriously flatten any joystic inputs you have using linear dampimg Nd not curves.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

No, it's not the collective or it's settings. I can do good take offs and landings. It's just if I do a less than good take off and bump the ground or scrape the ground.

I'm wise to 'make sure the collective is down before you spawn' thing.

Thanks for an answer though.

Take a look at the rotor blades when that happens, I think you'll see that they have broken off (not completely but they are shorter).

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Take a look at the rotor blades when that happens, I think you'll see that they have broken off (not completely but they are shorter).

I'll make a point of looking at them. Is it a bug?

EDIT: Top answer. :thumbup: The rotor tips were indeed broken. It's hard to see HOW they were broken, they didn't appear to have come into contact with the ground. Hey ho. :unsure:

Edited by Ron Attwood

I think you can overspeed/stress them, I've had this happen a bunch doing stupid stuff in the KA50 (though its either overspeed or rotor coliding haircut there). I recall doing it in the gaz when I first got it too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).