My engineering approach to a Hornet pit build project

Alex_rcpilot

*Latest Edit:

Now there's a site for this project and future projects: https://www.neoengress.com/

I've been wanting to do this for so long that I'm actually feeling a bit over-equipped. When the hog came out back in 2010 I almost went for a full pit. But plans grew too lengthy and life got in the way, I had to quit it.

Now after creating a diversity of peripherals for other people, I finally got to take a break and start building something for myself, something practical and less complex than a full pit.

The stuff I'm about to reveal in this thread is some work in progress for the past few months. I'll first present some background info on how I approached it in the first place, how it gradually came to this point, then keep you guys updated with some latest development if this looks compelling to you.

I'll skip the obvious pros and cons of having a physical pit, and just lay down some of my priorities real quick. My goal is to build a physical pit (sort of) which:

• has both input and output capabilities;
  • doesn't cost me my quality lifestyle to build;
  • still looks sufficiently badass and attractive, at least makes my girlfriend jealous for having my company during day time;
  • fits in a tight space against an ordinary computer desk;
  • comes off and stows easily when not used;
  • can be built one module at a time, each self-sufficient as a human interface device;
  • works with both conventional monitors and VR;
  • helps refine my engineering skills, inducing massive pleasure during the process of creation.

Like every 15 year+ flight simmer I'm already in possession of....you know the ordinary cliché, the first item on my list would be the main instrument panel, followed by the Martin Baker ejection seat and more. Here's a preview of my current front deck 3D model:

attachment.php?attachmentid=211005&stc=1&d=1559332514

I took my time and modeled every component to the details:

attachment.php?attachmentid=211006&stc=1&d=1559332567

Since I need those instrument outputs like the UFC and MDIs, this project is generally built around an LCD monitor taking advantage of the DCS legacy viewports. And for the standby instruments I'll just use Helios, Craig and Capt. Zeen have done a great job with it.

Turns out a great percentage of the MIP is covered with inputs, all of which I intend to make as functional, that's over 200 inputs scattered across 2 square feet, lots of which are encoders. Some of the indicator lights spread beyond the monitor's active area and also require dedicated hardware support. Now I do have a bunch of Arduino boards lying around in my drawers, but for something this compact and requires certain performance, I'd prefer making my own USB electronics from scratch. I use professional EDA tools and high performance microchips on a daily basis, so it won't be an issue for me.

With all the parts and efforts involved, there's a subtlety to the balance between cost and quality. I've been in the engineering domain for a long time and a great number of suppliers are also my friends, who offered to help me build fun stuff. Since this is gonna be my own toy, choices will be made based on all the resources I can get here.

I will try my best to make some of the designs also compatible with 3D printing so I can share the stl models which enable others to join. Nevertheless, my attention must still be focused on making RAPID progress. I should be able to post more stuff here every now and then. For now, I hope you guys liked the idea of it.

----------- Update by late June 2020 ------------

Phase 2 - Expanding into a full pit

It took me eight months to complete the MIP section which was "something practical and less complex than a full pit". All the displays and inputs were working. Before this project, it always felt like so inefficient having to freeze my head tracker before clicking on those MDI buttons. The physical MIP came in as such a big saver for in-flight ops.

However, with the release of the super carrier module on the horizon, a pair of vertical panels felt more and more desirable for me. These panels are likely the most densely mechanized areas in the pit and certainly deserve some serious design hours.

Besides, with the help of my friend William, more and more SJU-17 parts kept coming back from the factory, the ejection seat was also starting to take shape. I sourced a couple of electric cylinders so the seat can be easily adjusted by the touch of a switch. I see only one toggle switch by the left side of the seat in game, probably for height adjustment. I'll add a second one for an extra feature.

The second phase started back in Feburary with the design of the gear handle and wing fold handle. It gradually grew across both vertical panels and then expanded further back to cover both side consoles.

By the time of this edit most of the parts for the second phase have arrived, the vertical panels have been fully assembled and I'm ready to assemble the rest. New pictures should be available in the next few days as things are gradually put together.

----------- Photo of latest progress ------------

attachment.php?attachmentid=241749&stc=1&d=1593885338

A more realistic design is also ready, for skin and livery lovers:

1208033568_FullCockpit.thumb.jpg.048ff9e60017c22c42b5ab48dd2c7931.jpg

Overview.jpg.e30d1ca0eef9a8f55da66d500b37235e.jpg

295653198_PotModel.jpg.98b7678a2de29091d889a664b0a63ca4.jpg

Front_Section.thumb.png.7fea5960e1382754dee3064e8f802aad.png

Edited by Alex_rcpilot

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im definitely going to follow this thread, #subscribed. Good luck & God speed on your build!

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW

(Core i7-9750H, RTX 2070, 32 GB ram)

TM Warthog - TM T-Flight Pedals - TrackIr 5 - Cougar MFD

Modules

F-86F - T.1A - A-10C - M-2000C - UH-1 - F-5 - P-51 - SA342 - Spitfire - AJS-37 - AV-8B - F/A-18C - L-39 - MiG-21 - MiG-15 - KA-50

FC3 - CA - NTTR - Normandy - WWII AP - LotATC - TacView

Great to have you guys here. I only do what an engineer does, and business is my friends' part. For now I'm focusing on getting stuff built. If this project turns out to be desirable then I'd love to see more fellow gamers flying with my design.

More info on the plans:

Unlike some of the high fidelity projects I've worked on, this home pit is born to be a low-cost design. The real MIP is not only divided into six sectors, but also done on multiple depths. If you take a look at the photograph by Thebeev, those DDIs stand out from the IFEI layer by at least 8", obviously to make room for the knees. The AMPCD also protrudes from the base plate for easier finger access, but you don't want it as high as those DDIs coz then it would get in the way of the stick.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211038&stc=1&d=1559401437

It'd be damn awesome to adopt this ergonomic structure at home, but just the displays alone would add significant workload on both the peripheral and the computer side. I'm already running 4 monitors on my desktop and don't want to stress it by that much. It also costs way more cash and time to source separate LCDs and come up with solutions to conceal them behind adjacent panels. That's why I'm going with just two displays, one for the UFC and another for the rest.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211039&stc=1&d=1559401437

First step of course is to determine screen size. I had to cross reference lots of sources available on Google and come up with a rough estimate of how big the front deck is. TBH the geometry of the glare shield has made it a tough task for a glass pit solution. In order to keep those top corners of the monitor concealed I had to give up the idea of using Helios for the caution lights beside the UFC. Turns out a 28" monitor is just right to span across the left DDI and the SVVI, which also covers all the core instruments except for the UFC. The gear & flaps indicator lights have to depend on standalone electronics instead of borrowing pictures from Helios.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211040&stc=1&d=1559401437

If compromises had to be made for the UFC they'd better be worth it. So far it seems fine. I mean look at how the HUD base sticks out from the top edge, having the UFC elevated from the monitor's face level both solves the display problem and makes the geometry more "layered", all at the cost of one small additional display. Once I've picked the essential parts I could start designing the sheet metal enclosure and face plates.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211041&stc=1&d=1559401445

1494382975_courtesyThebeev.jpg.ef37693c2c1b7f7715f84ebc3d04c1a7.jpg

Geometry.thumb.jpg.13a80dcc150036ce6741296111cbdf70.jpg

IFEI.jpg.2bc8b3522e5eec3a9e1029eea3ac6edd.jpg

Displays.jpg.e4b7e5e291a4a7e6a440d16c81ae382c.jpg

Awesome design alex... look forward to seeing this project move forward. And probably borrowing some of your ideas.

I love the idea of something easily removable as I switch between racing and flight sims fairly regularly. I lack the design and engineering experience you have but my end goal is to have a something similar which has a single usb plug, a couple hdmi plugs and a power plug on the back or side with everything else enclosed inside.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Awesome design alex... look forward to seeing this project move forward. And probably borrowing some of your ideas.

I love the idea of something easily removable as I switch between racing and flight sims fairly regularly. I lack the design and engineering experience you have but my end goal is to have a something similar which has a single usb plug, a couple hdmi plugs and a power plug on the back or side with everything else enclosed inside.

Thanks and feel free to adopt the ideas. I'm building my pit slim because I also work with this rig a lot and often fill the desktop with all kinds of crap. Racing is also fun but my G25 has been on the shelf for some months, haven't found time to play with it lately.

I ran some numbers on the MIP and found that I need at least 17 axes and 230 button inputs for the front deck, it means I need to divide it into up to 3 different USB controllers. The way I count inputs is somewhat different from how the physical pit is perceived. For switches which each only requires one electrical contact but shows up in DCS as two positions, I will treat them each as two inputs. Some unconventional components are treated as even more inputs. There's a module in my firmware specifically written for this purpose.

A quick count can be done on a single Word page:

attachment.php?attachmentid=211175&stc=1&d=1559578765

3 physical USB controllers are hooked up to a self-powered USB hub from behind the MIP enclosure. Power from the hub's supply should be sufficient for all those back lights. The monitor has its own PSU, which means there should only be three cables sticking out from the back if I'm not missing anything.

Although the MIP appears to be leaning against the desk, it's actually capable of supporting the entirety of its own weight. The rack is detachable, and when it's folded it can be stored in a cabinet, on the attic, or simply leaned against the wall.

I will reserve, if I may, the following section of this post for some latest pictures as progress updates so new readers would immediately know which point I'm at without having to jump around in future pages.

Progress quick peak section (images updated randomly reflecting latest progress)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

attachment.php?attachmentid=211176&stc=1&d=1559578765

One of the 30+ PCBs which I've been designing for the past week.

attachment.php?attachmentid=212352&stc=1&d=1561053540

Center portion electronics

attachment.php?attachmentid=213308&stc=1&d=1562445645

Acrylic panels

attachment.php?attachmentid=217432&stc=1&d=1568844633

Backlight preliminary test

attachment.php?attachmentid=217525&stc=1&d=1569015224

UFC coming alive

attachment.php?attachmentid=218015&stc=1&d=1569725646

Prototype MIP and Lower console sections

attachment.php?attachmentid=224657&stc=1&d=1578559932

Supercarrier approach under the setting sun, June 26th, 2020 :pilotfly:

attachment.php?attachmentid=241116&stc=1&d=1593222668

1086478101_MIPIOs.jpg.f8633e2ab8e9bdc2cc7ddd3d90acee1c.jpg

Ergonomics.jpg.cc92b3e7d9fc83db749c5bf411359cff.jpg

224678261_UFC_KeypadPCB.thumb.jpg.83d38226f9c96e3ec3927a7755aee647.jpg

1467575119_HUDView.thumb.png.f8fd217c5a301cb3d7a933184c3d2eac.png

Edited by Alex_rcpilot

Love this idea!

I can't wait to see this come to life!

I am very interested to see how the Hornet works with a single large LCD for the bulk of the main panel displays.

It would be great to be able to simply swap out my Warthog front panel with a Hornet one!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Impressive Alex, following with interest I want to see you succeed here.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

I am very interested to see how the Hornet works with a single large LCD for the bulk of the main panel displays.

It would be great to be able to simply swap out my Warthog front panel with a Hornet one!

Hi RK, I've followed your A-10C pit project and it's a fantastic build. I wish I didn't give up on mine.

The Hornet is not a mono screen-friendly pit to start with. Customizing home cockpits is virtually all about trading off authenticity with cost. You've been there and done that, and I think you know it better than I do. Anyway, I hope I can complete this project soon so we may find out more about its potentials.

Watching with anticipation!!! Great Ideas here!

Impressive Alex, following with interest I want to see you succeed here.

And also thank you guys for your interest. I am determined to get this pit made fast, and please rest assured this project will move ahead steadily.

Enough has been written about how the 3D model became the way it is. And at this point I feel like sharing some news. For the past week I've sourced a whole bunch of components like switches, encoders and potentiometers for screening. New packages are still coming in as I'm writing this reply. The best candidates have been thoroughly measured and modeled for virtual assembly. This time I will be using off-the-shelf switches for almost all the instruments and panels, which will significantly reduce the overall cost. But in order to keep the overlay material on top of the screen as thin as possible, certian degree of customization still has to be made.

Using the new models, I was able to add more details into my 3D modules.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211861&stc=1&d=1560453237

All the pushbuttons are based on the same model, the only difference would be customized caps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211862&stc=1&d=1560453237

I've tried soldering a whole bunch of wires in a cockpit and it was a major pain in the butt. So I've decided every toggle and pot needs a small converter PCB. I'd rather source extra wire harnesses than having to confirm what each wire does before soldering it to a lead.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211874&stc=1&d=1560455370

attachment.php?attachmentid=211864&stc=1&d=1560453374

Ordinary sized selector dials and pots are too thick at the base to be soldered onto the same PCB as those tactile switches. Converter PCBs help get the job done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211865&stc=1&d=1560453374

The standby instruments are more slim than most other modules while still requiring fully functional knobs, and some low-profile solutions have been devised for that porpuse.

The next step is to re-model the base of the MIP screen mask so drawings can be exported for factories to start milling parts or bending sheet metal. I'll log back in another couple of days with more news.

1379600385_2019-06-14PCBAUFC.thumb.jpg.c43cb8369d785b73672c44f60b5bf535.jpg

462874554_2019-06-14PCBAHUDCTL.thumb.jpg.5f16df7bbb44ab5a0058960442521ffc.jpg

754856243_2019-06-14PCBAAMPCD.jpg.7be0a3f19655166bc28e587b3f3e636e.jpg

1493078003_2019-06-14StandbyInstruments.jpg.48e188b5072b468b2a5c4267ceac3149.jpg

1909919527_2019-06-14PCBADDI.jpg.10f2235b3c9db2a0ea4f85b9338a607d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is coming on so quickly and looks incredible! I'm in the middle of working out my own "cockpit" using a single 22 inch monitor, 3 cougar screens and some custom PCBs for the UFC. I'm planning on making mine a little more generic with cutouts for the cougars, some areas cutout for the UFC and some for general gauges to be generated using Ikarus. The problem I'm currently battling is how to minimise the height of the PCB and switch/encoders to make cutout for the ODUs not appear too deep.

Can I ask what type/brand of switches you are planning to use, and what caps? Are you doing custom stuff for this?

uc?id=11yfADBlrb63vfxvftprwMOfHeZPLcbCh

Andy

Can I ask what type/brand of switches you are planning to use, and what caps? Are you doing custom stuff for this?

Hi, Andy. I'm using a 6x6mm tactile switch with an LED in the middle. I tried looking for an official model number or mfg info but couldn't find any. All the sellers just keep calling it the way it looks.

For the DDI and AMPCD button caps I couldn't find anything off the shelf that resembles them, so I've decided to custom build them all.

Hi, Andy. I'm using a 6x6mm tactile switch with an LED in the middle. I tried looking for an official model number or mfg info but couldn't find any. All the sellers just keep calling it the way it looks.

For the DDI and AMPCD button caps I couldn't find anything off the shelf that resembles them, so I've decided to custom build them all.

Hi Alex, nice design. Would you be willing to let people use the design?

I've used the similar switch before: ALCOSWITCH FSMIJ63BPG04. This one is for green color. Let me know if you'd like the pcb footprint.

System spec:

Asus P9X79, Intel 3930K @ 4.6;

GeForce GTX 680 4gb; G.Skill 16 Gb (2x8Gb) DDR3 dual channel @ 1800mhz; Corsair H100; Corsair SSD; Cooler Master 1200W SilentPro Gold (80+).

HOTAS Warthog, Helios, SoftTH, CougarMFD, Dell Multitouch, LG 27", LG 42.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alex, nice design. Would you be willing to let people use the design?

I've used the similar switch before: ALCOSWITCH FSMIJ63BPG04. This one is for green color. Let me know if you'd like the pcb footprint.

Hi Wick. Thank you and it's really nice of you offering the footprint. I've looked up FSMIJ63BPG04 and found out it comes in a through-hole configuration. The one I'm using is a surface mount type, I could pick from a bunch of different colors for the LED when placing the order. I've drawn its 3D model as well as PCB footprint when I received it. And, yes, please feel free to build on top of my ideas.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I assume you'll be 3D printing all the button hardware? That's not something I have looked into before. Might be time to experiment with that a little. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

Hi Andy, I'm not planning on using 3D printing with most parts in this cockpit. 3D printed plastic parts actually cost more, and are generally less dense. Surface smoothness and lots of small details need to be sacrificed to get the desired strength.

I've printed plenty of parts with different models of industrial 3D printers and sometimes experimental SLA printers. Frankly they are not my first choice for a densely populated instrument panel with sub-millimeter features everywhere.

There are a number of conventionaly processes and materials at my disposal. However, I'm still in the designing process and haven't decided what specific process to use for each part, but I will soon reveal the results of my actual build.

Edited by Alex_rcpilot

I've found some time to power up a few core modules for an initial test.

The breakout card is hidden behind the UFC board. Most of the core modules are connected through FFC cables, while the peripheral cards will be hooked up with PH2.0 cable harnesses.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213308&stc=1&d=1562445645

Most of the mechanical structures have gone through several more iterations during the past weeks, I must finalize the design on those PCB housing before having the rest of the PCBs fabricated. Since the main controller card is already complete, at least I can start writing the firmware and use the UFC for some debugging.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213309&stc=1&d=1562445647

IMG_9046.thumb.jpg.8740d1647ac73e366178d09ae831436c.jpg

IMG_9052.thumb.jpg.ec8fe3b8fd76e0941d5851d773ae2859.jpg

This is awesome!

A little advice, you might want to consider lowering the total height of the front console by 3". As someone with a pit, you'll find considerable head/eye strain if you dont have the monitor line up to a comfortable eye height over time. Your gauges/UFC/DDIs/etc are very important, but even more so is eyes outside the pit. You also do not want to be too far from your monitor either (as an attempt to keep it in a comfortable viewing angle), you'll find it more difficult to spot targets and wish you were closer.

Currently, my main monitor is the focal point and the UFC/DDIs are just a small eye glance down.

This is awesome!

A little advice, you might want to consider lowering the total height of the front console by 3". As someone with a pit, you'll find considerable head/eye strain if you dont have the monitor line up to a comfortable eye height over time. Your gauges/UFC/DDIs/etc are very important, but even more so is eyes outside the pit. You also do not want to be too far from your monitor either (as an attempt to keep it in a comfortable viewing angle), you'll find it more difficult to spot targets and wish you were closer.

Currently, my main monitor is the focal point and the UFC/DDIs are just a small eye glance down.

Hi Guppy, thanks for the advice. I've checked the line of sight in the model and there's indeed some obstruction by the HUD base between the head and the monitor. The mannequin used in the model measures only 5'8″ tall. good thing is both the monitor and the seat are adjustable. I didn't bother modeling the actual monitor I'm using, so I've made a duplicate of the same 28" monitor as the one sandwiched inside the front console.

The front console is designed to fit universally with commonplace computer desks and it's the first piece to be deployed in the setup. The monitor or potentially other forms of visual system should then be adjusted accordingly. Finally, when my friends drop by and try this setup, there's an electric cylinder integrated inside the seat for them to adjust with the flip of a toggle switch. I think it should solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Alright guys, I've been gone for a while, yet by no means have I let this project slide. Consider the following pic an appetizer for what's coming next.

Oh sweet lord, that looks amazing.

I spot a cheeky F16 ICP sitting in the background as well ;)

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai