Flying through powerlines

WelshZeCorgi

This is a terrible real-life tragedy as an example, but in 1998 an EA-6B Prowler on a training mission in Italy flew into a ski lift cable, cutting it and causing the cable car and occupants to plunge into the mountain side below, killing everyone aboard the car. The Prowler returned to base slightly damaged and made a successful emergency landing.

Its hard to imagine how that collision didn't damage the plane more severely. But it did happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/04/world/20-die-in-italy-as-us-jet-cuts-a-ski-lift-cable.html

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For smaller planes (CE2, Yak52) it could look like this

maybe also like this

And I must say, there are some interesting videos on youtube :)

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

.... But I didn’t know helicopters could collide with wires, good to know.

Yes tested and works as expected. :music_whistling: :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

IIRC some Jets have dedicated cable cutter "blades" at the vertical stabiliser, so do some helicopters have them below and on top of the canopy.

I dont know if that is true, but I have read that soviet Jets had them not only for emergency/mishaps but for intentional cutting of power lines. If that is true, I don't know.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

IIRC some Jets have dedicated cable cutter "blades" at the vertical stabiliser, so do some helicopters have them below and on top of the canopy.

I dont know if that is true, but I have read that soviet Jets had them not only for emergency/mishaps but for intentional cutting of power lines. If that is true, I don't know.

Yep some helicopter got it, like french army version of the NH-90, you can clearly see the "cable cutter" at the top of the canopy

NH90348h.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make the reporting system great again!

The DCS Huey has two, one high on the canopy and one low

• 5 months later...
For smaller planes (CE2, Yak52) it could look like this...
I'm really curious "how" they rescued those planes! :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Sounds like a job for Viggens

Pretty sure I've eaten wire in a viggen. I've also done it in helos.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So I think in dcs you can break a helicopter flying through powerlines but a jet or ww2 prop cuts through that stuff like butter, no damage. Not sure that's realistic.

Well, after the latest updates, it's kind of exaggerated in the other way! The pole wires produce too much damage to planes now. Take a flying tank, A-10 or Su-25 (the most resistant examples) and fly through powerlines. You'll insta-explode! 100% damage every time, unless you may sometimes hit the wire with the fin/fins, but with any other plane part that you hit the wire with, will have you exploded!

One guy replied here with an example of an EA-6 Prowler which received damage from a powerline, and even though it's not designed to be an armored vehicle with wings, it still landed safely!

Good knowledge and common sense make the absurd run for defense.

Flying has always been a great interest for mankind, yet learning everything about it brought the greatest challenge!

Power line collision I think it would be supported in the damage model eventually? ... hitboxes would need to be very fine, hopefully not a big hit on perf.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...