A7 Corsair

shar321

No new modules till the current ones are actually finished/up-to-par*.

*whatever that actually means.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 8 months later...

God I hope. This team had a rough start, possibly due to the very ambitious projects they started with, but I love all three of there modules. And the F-14 doesn’t really work without the A-7. So hopefully we’ll get to see it some day. It a favorite of mine, and would be a day one buy for me.

Yeah we're up to (off the top of my head) F-15E, Mig-23, A-29, Sea Harrier FRS 1, Mirage 3, Mirage 2000-5, OV-10 (I think?), A-7, AV/8B+. That's on top of finishing the Harrier and Mirage, and adding additional assets to be used with the Mig-19 (including the Mig-19S), and the AI Falklands assets (which I realize are made by other people). By the time all those happen, the flagship DCS module will be the F-35 :P

Yeah we're up to (off the top of my head) F-15E, Mig-23, A-29, Sea Harrier FRS 1, Mirage 3, Mirage 2000-5, OV-10 (I think?), A-7, AV/8B+. That's on top of finishing the Harrier and Mirage, and adding additional assets to be used with the Mig-19 (including the Mig-19S), and the AI Falklands assets (which I realize are made by other people). By the time all those happen, the flagship DCS module will be the F-35 :P

Yeah probably. It strikes me as rather disorganized, but if they are just making 3d models at this point while their coders get the M2k/harrier/mig19 done, well, thats fine. Would be cool if they got these in as AI assets first if thats easier.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So I didn't realize how capable the A-7 was until just googling it. I thought it was just a big bomb truck but it could carry shrikes, harms, gbu-8's, paveways, mavericks, walleyes. it would be pretty useful to have and it would go well with the F-14. It's disappointing though that with how many projects razbam is working on it will practically take forever if they are working on it.

Edit: That wasn't meant to be rude but there's easily a decades worth of modules in progress right now.

Edited by Jester986

So I didn't realize how capable the A-7 was until just googling it. I thought it was just a big bomb truck but it could carry shrikes, harms, gbu-8's, paveways, mavericks, walleyes. it would be pretty useful to have and it would go well with the F-14. It's disappointing though that with how many projects razbam is working on it will practically take forever if they are working on it.

Edit: That wasn't meant to be rude but there's easily a decades worth of modules in progress right now.

Yeah The Sluff was pretty capbable striker. The Intruder was better though.

I actually did some digging on that because I was wondering why did these two coexist in the navy? Are they not redundant? What I came up with was the A-7 was intended for close air support and "see the target, kill the target". While the A-6 wasn't quite as good at that type of work it was much better at pinpoint all weather day or night strikes. So if its a target of opportunity you send and A-7 and if its preplanned you send the A-6. The F-18 was able to take over the A-7's role earlier than the A-6's and thats why the 6 stayed in service longer.

I actually did some digging on that because I was wondering why did these two coexist in the navy? Are they not redundant? What I came up with was the A-7 was intended for close air support and "see the target, kill the target". While the A-6 wasn't quite as good at that type of work it was much better at pinpoint all weather day or night strikes. So if its a target of opportunity you send and A-7 and if its preplanned you send the A-6. The F-18 was able to take over the A-7's role earlier than the A-6's and thats why the 6 stayed in service longer.
The A-7 was supposed to be the Navy's Light Attacker replacement for the A-4 Skyhawk while the Intruder took over the Nuclear Deep Strike role for the A-3 Skywarrior,it's predecessor.Both roles are now fulfilled by the Hornets and Super Hornets of today.

AFAIK the A-7 had one of the first HUDs worldwide and CCIP which enabled their pilots to drop bombs in CAS environments with an accuracy that has never been seen before.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I just noticed that Silver Dragon has referred to the screenshot as "A-7 AI" in his roadmap thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4175999&postcount=1649

I thought this was supposed to be a playable aircraft? Unfortunately I don't have discord so I can't check the source as RAZBAM doesn't post these things on the forums... :mad:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I actually did some digging on that because I was wondering why did these two coexist in the navy? Are they not redundant?

You are not that far off. The Navy had the same idea with the Grumman Air Wing, which had 2 A-6 squadrons instead of the standard one A-6/two A-7 squadons. But this was ultimately only implemented on the Kennedy and the Ranger. I think this was due costs, the Intruder being just much more expensive. The USAF followed a similar high-low mix with the F-15/F-16.

I think it is correct that the Corsair, due to its HUD with CCIP/CCRP, was the more accurate daylight bomber of the two. Even the early Hornets did not surpass the Corsair in dumb bomb accuracy, only matching it (while carrying less bombs, less far).

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know by chance whether the radar in the A-7 (D and E variants) had a basic air to air capability? I know its in no way a fighter, and that it carried the AIM-9 only for self defense, but I mean for gun ranging or lead computation?

Regards,

Snappy

I just noticed that Silver Dragon has referred to the screenshot as "A-7 AI" in his roadmap thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4175999&postcount=1649

I thought this was supposed to be a playable aircraft? Unfortunately I don't have discord so I can#t check the source as RAZBAM doesn't post these things on the forums... :mad:

I have no clue why Silver Dragon listed it as an AI aircraft.

Both Prowler and Zeus have stated that it is their wish to bring the A7 to DCS as a flyable module and that what pushed it back in line is the absence of an air to ground radar by ED.

Yes it is long down the line, but they seem determined.

I wonder where did AI came from too. As far as I know, it doesn't really tie-in to any existing or upcoming theater or Razbam module.

It would tie in very well to Heatblur's projects (F-14, Forrestal, A-6) as well as to M3's F-8 Crusader.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have no clue why Silver Dragon listed it as an AI aircraft.

Both Prowler and Zeus have stated that it is their wish to bring the A7 to DCS as a flyable module and that what pushed it back in line is the absence of an air to ground radar by ED.

Yes it is long down the line, but they seem determined.

I put them as AI, meanwhile RAZBAM not confirm "active" module working, not only a 3D model as actually has show.

Remember them:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260540

It would tie in very well to Heatblur's projects (F-14, Forrestal, A-6) as well as to M3's F-8 Crusader.

Yeah but I don't see them building AI assets to tie in with another 3rd party unless they have something planned.

Looking at SilverDragon's reasoning behind putting it as AI, I'm not entirely convinced it is an AI, yeah it MAY be an AI asset for Falklands for what-if scenarios but that feels kinda odd. After all, we do know that there are other things intended as modules they have/had under work aside from what appears in that list. We've seen some A-7 wip stuff shared by them before too over the years.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Yeah but I don't see them building AI assets to tie in with another 3rd party unless they have something planned.

Why not? It doesn't have to tie in anywhere in the first place. RAZBAMs Mirage, Harrier and MiG-19 doesn't tie in anywhere special either. The Corsair can fit in wherever needed like all the other aircraft do too.

Tornado3 small.jpg

RAZBAM already did A-7... but for FSX while ago... that is why they have all the assets in place to do one for DCS... but they need to clear up the Que first

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Why not? It doesn't have to tie in anywhere in the first place. RAZBAMs Mirage, Harrier and MiG-19 doesn't tie in anywhere special either. The Corsair can fit in wherever needed like all the other aircraft do too.

The question isn't why not, but why?

Think about it, why would you create an AI asset that is usually not sold (aside from whole WWII ordeal), if they aren't a tie in to one of your products?

I am not arguing that Corsair does not fit DCS, far be it from me, "this doesn't fit into DCS" is what I always argued against loudly, and Corsair is one of the aircraft I'd be interested in the most.

On the contrary, what I'm saying is that if it doesn't fit with anything currently done by Razbam, it is more likely being done as a future module rather than just an AI asset.

Not that this is a very meaningful discussion to already have anyway, razbam already have a lot in the pipeline considering both existing modules to complete and other announced and contracted modules waiting in line.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

The question isn't why not, but why?

Think about it, why would you create an AI asset that is usually not sold (aside from whole WWII ordeal), if they aren't a tie in to one of your products?

Oh, you're talking about AI assets. That's different of course, as they do indeed not make a lot of sense if they don't tie in. But AFAIk the A-7 should be a playable module.

Tornado3 small.jpg