[AS INTENDED]SUU-25 not functioning correctly

phantomknight321

Good Afternoon,

I noticed this quite a while back, but it was recently brought up on reddit and it has reminded me to bring up a bug report about it. Currently, the SUU-25 launchers do not perform correctly. Here are some notes from a reddit user that better explains some of the strange behavior: “...I've played a bit with it with limited success.

If you select them on the Stores page and pickle, nothing will happen, BUT if you click on the delivery method button (the one on the left, where you get the CCIP/CCRP/AUTO for other weapons, mouse only, HOTAS button doesn't seem to work for this weapon) they'll all suddenly release. All of them. Which is a shame because your AFAC load goes from being capable of providing 45 minutes of illumination (170sec per flare * 8 flares per pylon * 2 pylons) to just under three minutes.”

Thanks in advance for checking into this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

• 2 weeks later...

I have run into this as well, and it is not mentioned on the official bug tracker. The above description is accurate: clicking to change the delivery method instantly drops all flares at once.

Also, the rocket illumination version do not cause the terrain below to glow, but this may be an ED item.

- Moody

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

If you want to report an issue please attach a short track replay showing the issue, it makes it easier for the teams to see the issue.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

If you want to report an issue please attach a short track replay showing the issue, it makes it easier for the teams to see the issue.

thanks

2 tracks to illustrate the problem.

They will only drop in DSL and you get no symbology. No settings change this behavior.

Regardless of settings, if you do a normal pickle press like you would for any bomb all 16 illum flares will drop within fractions of a second. See track 1.

You can get it to drop less than that if you try to tap the pickle as quickly as possible, usually dumping out 2-4. See track 2.

1 pickle press should equal 1 flare, regardless of how long you hold down the button.

SUU-25 bug 1.trk

SUU-25 bug 2.trk

Good Afternoon,

I noticed this quite a while back, but it was recently brought up on reddit and it has reminded me to bring up a bug report about it. Currently, the SUU-25 launchers do not perform correctly. Here are some notes from a reddit user that better explains some of the strange behavior: “...I've played a bit with it with limited success.

If you select them on the Stores page and pickle, nothing will happen, BUT if you click on the delivery method button (the one on the left, where you get the CCIP/CCRP/AUTO for other weapons, mouse only, HOTAS button doesn't seem to work for this weapon) they'll all suddenly release. All of them. Which is a shame because your AFAC load goes from being capable of providing 45 minutes of illumination (170sec per flare * 8 flares per pylon * 2 pylons) to just under three minutes.”

Thanks in advance for checking into this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you confirm this is still active in the latest OB release?

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

2 tracks to illustrate the problem.

They will only drop in DSL and you get no symbology. No settings change this behavior.

Regardless of settings, if you do a normal pickle press like you would for any bomb all 16 illum flares will drop within fractions of a second. See track 1.

You can get it to drop less than that if you try to tap the pickle as quickly as possible, usually dumping out 2-4. See track 2.

1 pickle press should equal 1 flare, regardless of how long you hold down the button.

This is the problem and it is still present after this latest patch. I do not want to speak for the OP but that old problem he describes does not exist anymore for me.

Please look at my tracks and explanation above. To sum up, no drop guidance is given and regardless of what settings you input all illumination flare drop simultaneously.

• 2 months later...

I ran the SUU-25 bug2.trk a couple of times and then jumped in ant took control.  It obvious there's an issueSUU25_5.png.aa83d2fe0b568852f15d36788a11, but impossible to say what, as there is no mention of the SUU-25  in the latest Pocket Guide. 
Does Razbam have any instructions as to how to employ this.

I could only get it to do anything in DSL mode.  It launched all flares. 

Setting was QTY:1  Mult:1  Int:__(Blank)

It launched   Qty: Looks like what ever it wanted per tube    Mult:2    Int:About 1 sec

Photos:  I loaded the pics in order of launch.

First launch was total of 3, then 5, then 7, and last 1.

Hope that helps

SUU25_3.png

SUU25_5.png

SUU25_7.png

SUU25_1.png

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

OB 2.5.6.59398

This weapon has no documentation nor are there any training missions associated with it.

In game setup: 

1. Custom Mission "suu-25.miz"
  2. Wings level, AFC engaged 

Actions to Perform to replicate:

1. Select Waypoint 2 and desiganate it as the Target Point as outlined in "AV8B N/A Harrier II Midlife Upgrade"
  2. Select S25 on stores page of the MFD
  3. Select Air to Ground ---  Observer 4 hash marks in center of HUD
  4. Select AUTO delivery   ---  Observer 4 hash marks in center of HUD
  5. Select Master Arm to Arm   ---  Observer 4 hash marks in center of HUD
  6. Approach T0 and release weapon  --- Observer no stores expended and no illumination of ground area
  7. Switch to CIP mode  ---  Observer 4 hash marks in center of HUD
  8. Approach T0 and release weapon  --- Observer no stores expended and no illumination of ground area
  9. Switch to DSL mode  --- Observer 4 hash marks in center of HUD
  10. Approach T0 and release weapon  --- Observer variable (Ran this 5 times and got 5 different results.  Last time all stores expended) amount of stores expended and illumination of ground area.

Track File is provided and follows Steps to be performed as stated above.

Custom Mission "suu-25.miz" is provided and is air start, contains 3 way points any of witch can server as target areas.

Maybe someone at Razbam can use the mission to demonstrate how to use this thing. and provide a track file.

suu-25.trk suu-25.miz

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [REPORTED]SUU-25 not functioning correctly
  • 4 weeks later...

So the flare pods are rarely used if ever and are designed to be dropped one at a time at pilots discretion. No documentation is available on this nor has SME used them before, only receiving instruction on how they should be employed. A carry over system from the earlier days when the TPOD was not available. As we are neither able to confirm or deny what should or should not be the correct behaviour fro the pods, the behaviour shal remain the same. Marking AS INTENDED and moving to RESOLVED.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [AS INTENDED]SUU-25 not functioning correctly

What's the difference to LUU-2B pods in the A-10 and F-14? Would it help to just make it work like them?

Edited by Alec Delorean
I was wrong :)

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

7 hours ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

are designed to be dropped one at a time at pilots discretion...

nor has SME used them before, only receiving instruction on how they should be employed

we are neither able to confirm or deny what should or should not be the correct behaviour fro the pods, the behaviour shal remain the same. Marking AS INTENDED

You just contradicted yourself.

If the SME was instructed to drop them one at time, isn't that considered to be the correct behavior? How can you say you can't confirm or deny the behavior after that? And if you really can't confirm the behavior, you're claiming it's working as intended?

This makes ZERO sense. Why even bother having an SME if you're not going to listen to them.

And wouldn't it just be common sense that the flares can be dropped one at a time just like every other munition on the Harrier? What tactical advantage is there in dropping every flare at once? Why does this even need to be checked with an SME just to fix it?

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 2

I just tested them, designated a target on ground via DMT and DESC, flew over it and dropped one by one in DSL mode over the area. Worked flawlessly.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

8 minutes ago, Alec Delorean said:

I just tested them, designated a target on ground via DMT and DESC, flew over it and dropped one by one in DSL mode over the area. Worked flawlessly.

Post up a .trk file.  I couldn't get to drop one by one in DSL mode.  It kept dropping random.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Justed tested this again. Mission editor, set time to 0:00, placed harrier at ramp, cold start. Loaded 2 SUU-25 pods from the bomb category. After lift-off choosed AG, ARM, stores: choosed the pods and pickle button drops always one flare on a chute at a time. It even switches to the next pod automatically everytime. I would say works as intended.

Edited by Alec Delorean