if you do not want to break your neck to check your six in VR - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 12:43 AM   #71
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
if you combine the fighter pilots rule " never fly in a straight line for longer than 30 seconds"
with the rule " check six every 30 seconds" then what you do is drop your wing and turn to check six every 30 seconds..
no sore neck.
you are flying historically.
and you can check beneath you as well..

fly zig zagging to check behind you in the same way you zig zag when taxiing to see in front of you...

Bingo.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:40 AM   #72
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
In real world if you want to see well behind you, you turn your head...
Really? Wait I don’t understand... you mean my head can turn?! I never knew that! Hey I just tried it and it worked! I never knew how my own neck worked until it was explained in another text wall!
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #73
eaglecash867

Quote:
...in the same way you zig zag when taxiing to see in front of you...
That only applies to tail draggers.

Heh. Maybe that can be the next topic for the Princeton Debating Society. I hope not. LOL
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #74
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefuneste01 View Post
DCS is a game, if you play online you'll compete with trackIR users, if you play SP, well, that's your choice to play as you like.
This is a absolute valid reason for using other than 1:1 ratio.
Earlier in the thread the ability to look straight behind was given as the reason, in the context of not being able to look as far back as IRL, which isnt really true.

Quote:
if you combine the fighter pilots rule...
And when in a dogfight you do not fly mach 1.X so pulling G will give you a descent alfa. This moves the following aircraft from straight behind to a up behind position. The turning radius will move the follower further in the same line, and when you add a bit of roll when trying to evade you have the follower far away from straight behind and you do not need to twist the neck 180 degrees.
Gunnars Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #75
Gman109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnars Driver View Post
This is a absolute valid reason for using other than 1:1 ratio.
Earlier in the thread the ability to look straight behind was given as the reason, in the context of not being able to look as far back as IRL, which isnt really true.

And when in a dogfight you do not fly mach 1.X so pulling G will give you a descent alfa. This moves the following aircraft from straight behind to a up behind position. The turning radius will move the follower further in the same line, and when you add a bit of roll when trying to evade you have the follower far away from straight behind and you do not need to twist the neck 180 degrees.

I posted this as well, when in a one or two circle fight, you end up looking up more than back, especially if your opponent is across the circle from you (common in any BFM fight). You're usually rolled close to 80 or 90 degrees when turning against a threat across the circle, which means more looking up than back, but you can still have situations where you need to look back into your 6, it's just less likely versus a single threat you're engaging). I'll post my vid tomorrow, it CLEARLY shows that the Rift S/Reverb, when pointed in the exact same head position as pilots heads in the pictures and videos that have been posted in this thread, show on the monitor screen and in the headset screen, that they are NOT pointed in a spot where you can see a threat, where as in real life the pilots clearly DO see their threat with the same head position/direction. It's a full clock position or even 2 OFF from where a real life pilot can see in reality using peripheral vision.

I put a hanging model at 6 oclock, and demonstrate where I can see it from without VR in my chair, and then do the same in DCS, have a threat at 6 oclock, and show on the screen where it can be seen with VR HMDs, and the difference in head position from reality to DCS. It's a big difference...and VR HMD companies wouldn't be researching and spending $$$ on trying to replicate human peripheral vision in next gen VR headsets, if current VR headsets didn't have an issue with peripheral vision.

Primay DCS Systems x2: i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz. Gaming Laptop MSI GT76 Titan DT.

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF2Revb x2, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds
VR-Rift S x2, Index x1, Reverb x1

Last edited by Gman109; 02-19-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote