Really confused about Deferred Shading

I'm fighting a freezing problem in DCS. I've done everything I've read (at least, I think I have), but I'm reading things about turning off deferred shading.

I have an nVidia 1080Ti with latest drivers as of 11 May. I've gone through everything, I cannot find any settings that say "Deferred Shading". Am I missing it? Looking in the wrong place? Looking for the wrong thing? Is it actually a combination of a few things to make up DS?

I keep reading things that don't, to ME, explain very well. Everyione always seems to post with an assumption that everyone else already understands everything - Some of us don't. We try to RTFM, but sometimes either can't find TFM, or don't understand it, because again, we're not borne with the knowledge.

I've googled like crazy, and I find TONS of info ABOUT Deferred Shading, but nothing that says "Go here and look for this option, turn it on/off/change-to-this-setting"

B. "Swany" Swanberg

Gigabyte Designare, Intel i9 9900KF (3.6, OC'd to 5.0)

32GB Patriot Viper Steel (black, non-RGB)

OS installed on a Samsung Evo 970 1TB SSD

DCS installed on a Samsun Evo 860 1TB SSD

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

EVGA Supernova 720p 750w PS

3 Dell S2716DG monitors in Surround mode (7680x1440)

Oculus Rift S VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick

Thrusmaster Rudder Pedals

assorted button boxes/Arduino boards

All drivers always kept up to date (30 days old, max)

As a matter of fact, yeah, I am. I went to that when the release version just wouldn't work for me. So it's an in-game setting? If open beta doesn't have it, would explain why I wasn't seeing it! Thanks. I'll go look in the release version :)

**EDIT**

Yup, sure enough, it's in the release but not the beta. I don't have time to test it now (getting ready for a family get together for the wife). I'll switch back into the release and turn that off and see how the game goes.

Thank's for the tip razo+r, it's much appreciated!

Swany

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

So, I had a few minutes while the wife was getting ready. Turning off the deferred shading did NOT help. Crashed within minutes :/

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

The only performance issue with DS is that it causes a big performance hit with MSAA set to 4x or above.

If you haven't tried yet delete the FXO and metashaders2 folders found in Windows C. / Users / Your Name / Saved Games / DCS.

I'm fighting a freezing problem in DCS. I've done everything I've read (at least, I think I have), but I'm reading things about turning off deferred shading.

I have an nVidia 1080Ti with latest drivers as of 11 May. I've gone through everything, I cannot find any settings that say "Deferred Shading". Am I missing it? Looking in the wrong place? Looking for the wrong thing? Is it actually a combination of a few things to make up DS?

I keep reading things that don't, to ME, explain very well. Everyione always seems to post with an assumption that everyone else already understands everything - Some of us don't. We try to RTFM, but sometimes either can't find TFM, or don't understand it, because again, we're not borne with the knowledge.

I've googled like crazy, and I find TONS of info ABOUT Deferred Shading, but nothing that says "Go here and look for this option, turn it on/off/change-to-this-setting"

Just curious, why do you want to turn it off?

You have a GTX 1080 Ti, which should effortlessly run anything you throw at it at stellar framerates, even in VR. So why turn DS off? It's on by default in 2.5.1 and can't be turned off, it's an integral part of the sim now and not an option.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

The only performance issue with DS is that it causes a big performance hit with MSAA set to 4x or above.

If you haven't tried yet delete the FXO and metashaders2 folders found in Windows C. / Users / Your Name / Saved Games / DCS.

MSAA is set to 2x

Gave deleting those a shot, and the game did run longer, but then froze up again. Not sure if it was coincidence or not

Edited by Swany

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR

Just curious, why do you want to turn it off?

You have a GTX 1080 Ti, which should effortlessly run anything you throw at it at stellar framerates, even in VR. So why turn DS off? It's on by default in 2.5.1 and can't be turned off, it's an integral part of the sim now and not an option.

AD

Only because I ran across it in a forum that said to turn it off for troubleshooting to see if it helps. I agree with you wholeheartedly - While my machine isn't "uber", it's spec'ed out really well and shouldn't give me any issues, and it doesn't in any other game, only in DCS

Here's my post on the freeze itself

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208163

B. "Swany" Swanberg

EVGA 2080Ti 11GB

Oculus Rift S VR