Pitch behaviour in CASE 1 carrier landing

Goa

HI alll,

I am trying to properly land on the carrier by following Matt's youtube video for CASE 1, when i set put the flaps to FULL, Landing gear down, hook down, hook bypass carrier, etc etc, and then trying to land the nose of the aircraft will always pitch up and applying trim is not always responding.

Plus, is there anyway to reset the trim to catch the ball??

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

In slow flight regimes, you find the controls reversed - throttle for height, stick for speed.

So the way to proceed is to get the aircraft into the on-speed AOA by trimming in level flight while reducing the speed to achieve stability, then leave the stick alone in pitch, and use the throttle to establish the desired rate of descent.

Watching the available videos on YouTube will give you all the necessary information regarding the correct approach pattern and in particular the correct altitudes.

The ball will only be visible close in, and also only if you are close to the correct height.

In slow flight regimes, you find the controls reversed - throttle for height, stick for speed.

So the way to proceed is to get the aircraft into the on-speed AOA by trimming in level flight while reducing the speed to achieve stability, then leave the stick alone in pitch, and use the throttle to establish the desired rate of descent.

Watching the available videos on YouTube will give you all the necessary information regarding the correct approach pattern and in particular the correct altitudes.

The ball will only be visible close in, and also only if you are close to the correct height.

Thank you so much, what do you mean that controls are reversed?You mean that I have to use the throttle to mantain correct AoA instead of stick, right?

As for the "Ball" , is it the one visible inside the bracket , right?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Throttle controls rate of climb/descent, stick controls speed and therefore AOA.

If you pull on the stick the aircraft will slow, and the AOA will change. If you throttle up, you'll climb.

Also, make very careful throttle changes as the engines will take a long time to spool up if you cut power too much.

Trim is so important, actually. I've done a few carrier landings but only today trimmed it properly. It's night and day. Whenever I have a problem now, I keep telling myself to trim it out. No wonder those flight instructors always talk about trim. :P

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

get your trim right on 8.1 as shown in Jabbers video (

), he explain in detail the correct way to get the important marks of a CASE I landing.

its difficult at first to get the right trim setting fast, but once you're there, you dont even pitch, just control with the throttle and fly the ball.

Here is a quick video in calm weather showing just how hands off in the pitch is when trimmed for onspeed, I show the controls in the visdeo.

To get a 3 degree glide slope, use your tacan and be 1500 feet and 5 miles (level and onspeed) before hitting the glide slope. Practice this under less pressure so you know what to expect when doing case 1.

Watch how I just use the throttle to go down the glide slope. I do play around with the throttle showing how it with still stay onspeed, E bracket staying with the flight marker.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Here is a quick video in calm weather showing just how hands off in the pitch is when trimmed for onspeed, I show the controls in the visdeo.

[...]

Watch how I just use the throttle to go down the glide slope. I do play around with the throttle showing how it with still stay onspeed, E bracket staying with the flight marker.

You can see from the watermark indication (W on the HUD) that the plane pitches down when you reduce power, and pitches up when you increase power, in an attempt to chase the trimmed AoA numbers. I believe this isn't correct.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

You can see from the watermark indication (W on the HUD) that the plane pitches down when you reduce power, and pitches up when you increase power, in an attempt to chase the trimmed AoA numbers. I believe this isn't correct.

Think so, this video was a test.

I posted this video in Curly's thread to look at and also posted some pictures.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The problem is that pitch trim doesnt seem to work properly, i have to keep pressing and pressing the bind button for pitch trim (actually is binded on my hat on warthog stick) as the response is too slowly...is that normal?

The problem is that pitch trim doesnt seem to work properly, i have to keep pressing and pressing the bind button for pitch trim (actually is binded on my hat on warthog stick) as the response is too slowly...is that normal?

You generally don't need to trim with the flaps up, where you point is where the aircraft will go with it's FBW. Trim when the flaps are down for onspeed AOA.

You generally don't need to trim with the flaps up, where you point is where the aircraft will go with it's FBW. Trim when the flaps are down for onspeed AOA.

Thanks, I was in fact referring about trimming with flaps in FULL position, the trim response is too slowly.

I wonder if anyone is experience this behaviour.

Trim is so important, actually. I've done a few carrier landings but only today trimmed it properly. It's night and day. Whenever I have a problem now, I keep telling myself to trim it out. No wonder those flight instructors always talk about trim. :P

Can you just briefly describe what your are actually doing regarding trim ?

After delievery of ordnance and when returning to the carrier I push this kinda "autotrim" button on the left console and she flies just perfectly smooth and trimmed out..

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Thank you so much! After watching this video i nailed it down.

My problem was i kept acting on the stick after the hornet was already trimmed to ball.

So i could not figure out why the fpm kept moving back and forth.

To get a 3 degree glide slope, use your tacan and be 1500 feet and 5 miles (level and onspeed) before hitting the glide slope. Practice this under less pressure so you know what to expect when doing case 1.

Can you just briefly describe what your are actually doing regarding trim ?

After delievery of ordnance and when returning to the carrier I push this kinda "autotrim" button on the left console and she flies just perfectly smooth and trimmed out..

What I do for any landing (in quicker succession for carrier landings, of course) is

- put gear down, lose speed,

- flaps half, adjust trim "nose up" slightly to balance the jet,

- flaps full, adjust trim further "nose up" until I'm happy with the picture (usually pitch at 8° and velocity indicator at 0°.

The nose tends to drop down, so I compensate that with the stick or simply let it drop until I got the trim under control and can hold altitude without any pitch input. Usually I end up between 125kts (light jet) and 145kts (heavy jet) with ~8° AOA.

After that it's just cruising it onto the deck using throttle input to adjust the glide angle.

I've made a little video to show the difference between landing setups w/o and w/ trim. I think the difference is quite noticeable if you look at the controls. Also I found the trimmed approach to be more stable overall. Workload is a lot easier, IMO!

Edited by Slant

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!