How much is the MI-8 helping?

Hey pilots!

I can fly the KA50 very well and love it, but I am not that good with the huey and dont like it that much...

I know I am able to fly the ka50 because of the koaxial rotor and the Autopilot. The MI8 also has a nice Autopilot, is it more stable as the huey? For example with heading hold and so on?

Thanks!

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Mi-8 is harder to fly than the Huey IMHO. It has the most realistic FM of all the DCS chopper's FMs and is more complex system wise. It does not forgive easily your mistakes even-though you can land pretty hard before you are actually breaking something compared to other DCS choppers. But forget where the wind is coming from and make an approach with a little too much VSI, and you'll brutally VRS with little chance to recovery. Forget about the altitude or temperature, you'll overtorque and stall your generators or ice your engines very easily. Auto rotations are OK though, but it's pretty much OK for all choppers in DCS except for the Gazelle.

The Mi-8 is a very challenging bird to fly. As different to the KA-50 flight model wise as the huey is. The autopilot is not an autopilot as such but has assists for pitch roll and yaw. I recommend getting it as it is a fantastic chopper but its difficult to master. There are some videos in my sig might give you an indication of what to expect:)

Sniped x2 :p

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Both Mi-8, Ka-50 and Huey are great helicopters.

The Mi-8 handling qualities without stabilization (some kind of SAS) are quite similar to those of Huey, although it's a bit more stable due to its weight.

With stabilization on, it a bit more stable during hover, but you still have to manage anti torque.

In cruise with stabilization on in roll/pitch, yaw and altitude, it is quite stable and you don't have to touch the controls.

Regards.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Thank you for your opinions! Still not sure if I should trie... dont want to spent that much money as i did on the huey, but not flying it :P

Will see at the next sale maybe

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Mİ-8 is much more stable than huey. you can let the stick go after trim it, but you can not do it with the huey more than a few seconds. it tends to lean left or right immediately after you take your hands off from the stick.

second main difference between these 2, although huey is worse on handling, it is easier to recover when it is in vortex ring state. so you can approach and land more confidently with huey. once you enter vrs with mi-8, most likely you will end up crashing.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 1 month later...
Hey pilots!

I can fly the KA50 very well and love it, but I am not that good with the huey and dont like it that much...

I know I am able to fly the ka50 because of the koaxial rotor and the Autopilot. The MI8 also has a nice Autopilot, is it more stable as the huey? For example with heading hold and so on?

Thanks!

Greetings Rhino,

As a general rule, conventional helicopters (single large main rotor, small horizontal tail rotor) are very challenging to fly. The Mi-8 is no exception--although unlike the Huey, it has an autopilot, so once you have it trimmed out nicely, you can set the 3 autopilot channels for pitch & roll, yaw, and altitude, and take your hands off the controls just like the Ka-50. When flying around and maneuvering though, you leave the autopilot off in the Mi-8, unlike the Ka-50, where you use Flight Director mode.

Also, unlike the Ka-50, you must use the yaw (tail rotor) control all the time, so make sure you have a good set of rudder pedals. I'm just using the thumb stick on my Cougar throttle right now, I need pedals!

All in all it's a really great module, very detailed and nicely done. The flight model is very convincing. Just don't get it stuck in VRS as someone else mentioned! :)

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Join a virtual squadron to get the most out of the helicopters! The Mi-8 can fullfill a lot of roles in missions and flying her is great fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Hey pilots!

Thanks!

It's always so interesting for me to see the differences between people's perceptions of things.

I personally love the Huey much more than the Mi8. I don't really like the way the Mi8 handles all that much. Some guys call me crazy for this. To me, the Huey is a much easier chopper to fly. I cannot see what Mi8 enthusiasts see in that chopper. Quite honestly, I prefer the Gazelle to the Mi8.

I'm not particularly a fan of the weapons systems in the Mi8. Due to my lack of practice with them I can never really do anything effective in combat. And because I don't really bother with them I get easily confused by having to go between pods, pylons, and all of that stuff.

I do fly the Mi8 from time to time but I certainly prefer the Huey over it. And again, it's a preference thing. It has nothing to do with the module itself.

It's funny that what one guy finds great and comfortable, another person finds annoying or uncomfortable. And neither is right or wrong. They just see it from a different angle. It's just how we are put together.

That's why I never respond in those "What should I buy" threads. Who am I to say what a total stranger will like or dislike. As it always gets clearly illustrated here in the forums, no two people are alike.

Adding to what Zimmer said, I personally find the huey to be mushy, unresponsive, and underpowered. The Ka-50 is a high tech rocket ship, but it has very bad visibility and flies too twitchy for my taste.

Is the Mi-8 objectively better than any other chopper? No. But whenever I get in the cockpit, I feel very... comfortable, if that makes any sense. It's like being back in my own house after spending a week on vacation. It's cluttered and it's ugly, but it's home.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Huey - 60s Corvette. It can handle fairly well, not the fastest around, but you can manhandle it, drift it around, and have a lot of fun.

Mi-8 - Cadillac. It's big, carries a lot of inertia, feels very smooth and comfy, good for longer trips, not the most nimble, but has good power and is quite luxurious. My current favorite helo of them all.

Gazelle - Go Kart w/ a motorcycle engine. Very touchy on the controls, doesn't go crazy fast, but extremely nimble. You can get in a lot of trouble horsing around with it, and it's tiny.

Ka-50 - Floating A-10C. Lots of systems to learn, more focus on fighting than flying with the autopilot controls. Carries a ton of boom boom, but not a lot of thrilling cyclic work.

My answer: Get them all

It's always so interesting for me to see the differences between people's perceptions of things.

I personally love the Huey much more than the Mi8. I don't really like the way the Mi8 handles all that much. Some guys call me crazy for this. To me, the Huey is a much easier chopper to fly. I cannot see what Mi8 enthusiasts see in that chopper. Quite honestly, I prefer the Gazelle to the Mi8.

I'm not particularly a fan of the weapons systems in the Mi8. Due to my lack of practice with them I can never really do anything effective in combat. And because I don't really bother with them I get easily confused by having to go between pods, pylons, and all of that stuff.

I do fly the Mi8 from time to time but I certainly prefer the Huey over it. And again, it's a preference thing. It has nothing to do with the module itself.

It's funny that what one guy finds great and comfortable, another person finds annoying or uncomfortable. And neither is right or wrong. They just see it from a different angle. It's just how we are put together.

That's why I never respond in those "What should I buy" threads. Who am I to say what a total stranger will like or dislike. As it always gets clearly illustrated here in the forums, no two people are alike.

I agree, it is a preference thing and whilst I am the opposite to you, I think it depends on what you value as an individual.

When the Hip came out I really thought: why? Why? What do I need a Hip for?

I was having great fun with the Huey and I had the awesome KA-50 for true war work. But from the very moment I sat in the pit of the MI-8 I loved her. I do not know why, I just loved sitting there using Track IR to scan up down and across that roomy pit. It took me a while to spool her up and then I finally flew her and she was just great from day one of release.

Then the systems started to be learnt, lots of switches for a lot of basic fundamental kit that when used right got you to whole load of places..... boy was she loaded with kit.

To me, the MI-8 is just a damn good helicopter at what she does.... you wanna get a whole hunk a junk somewhere? Then I can lift it and I can navigate anywhere within 200 - 500 metres.

The MI-8 has no beauty but without doubt she is the machine that gets it done!

I think that was the appeal of the MI-8 for me from the get go, as an engineer, it was simply the tool that ticked far more boxes than the Huey. Eventually it left the Huey in the dirt.

For fun I got the Gazelle and KA-50, for heavy lift and superb weapons delivery I got the MI-8.

I really gotta wonder what DCS will learn me next when it comes to the next chopper that I just don't want!

I really am looking forward to it!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

OP if the Huey frustrates you then you need to tame her.

not with autopilot.

but by getting in her 5 times a day and taking her to heaven and back.

i promise you, a few weeks of that and your relationship will improve. :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 2 weeks later...

As of this moment the Huey is my favorite helicopter, but the MI8 flight model is just fantastic and who knows when I get better at flying it my preference may change.

The MI8 is way more difficult for me to actually fly than the Huey, which is without doubt the easiest of the 3 helicopters I have so far flown. The KA-50 is brilliant, though a little bit narrow visibility wise which can actually make the games graphics look worse in VR when flying vegas.

I love the Huey because it suits my style of go in dumb with guns blazing. Fantastic VR experience but attempting this style with the MI-8 won't get one very far and you tend to end up exploding on account of the acrobatics that you would have got away with in either the Huey or black shark. Still hilarious though...

For this reason I have the most fun, in the later two -the Huey especially- but this doesent mean I think these are the best helicopter modules and in fact I strongly suspect that the Mi-8 is indeed the best.

Kinda like the Viggen is not my favorite plane module as it doesent suit my style of play, but it's one of my absolute favorites just in how it feels and flies alone. MI8 has a wonderful feeling and when you hit a bounce and spin up into the air like a top... well in VR especially it does make you think good god what a fantastic flight model!

To be honest I love each helicopter module with no real favorites anymore and actually using the mission editor will load up my missions with each helicopter on client and switch from one to the other as I attempt/fail my homemade missions.

The other day I realized how much I had forgot how brilliant the black shark was simply because I had spent all my time flying the UH-1. Point is don't get too fixated on one, give them all a fair rotation and you'll probably find yourself loving the one you liked least at the beginning, the most in the end, just as it often is with people.

Trust me though learn how to tame the black shark and the UH-1 will seem so much easier, I was very surprised giving that it has no auto piloting just how easy I found the Huey to be but of course this was really on account of how much I suffered and learned with the BS.

My biggest challenge is going back to planes, I just love helicopters too much!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

As of this moment the Huey is my favorite helicopter, but the MI8 flight model is just fantastic and who knows when I get better at flying it my preference may change.

The MI8 is way more difficult for me to actually fly than the Huey, which is without doubt the easiest of the 3 helicopters I have so far flown. The KA-50 is brilliant, though a little bit narrow visibility wise which can actually make the games graphics look worse in VR when flying vegas.

I love the Huey because it suits my style of go in dumb with guns blazing. Fantastic VR experience but attempting this style with the MI-8 won't get one very far and you tend to end up exploding on account of the acrobatics that you would have got away with in either the Huey or black shark. Still hilarious though...

For this reason I have the most fun, in the later two -the Huey especially- but this doesent mean I think these are the best helicopter modules and in fact I strongly suspect that the Mi-8 is indeed the best.

Kinda like the Viggen is not my favorite plane module as it doesent suit my style of play, but it's one of my absolute favorites just in how it feels and flies alone. MI8 has a wonderful feeling and when you hit a bounce and spin up into the air like a top... well in VR especially it does make you think good god what a fantastic flight model!

To be honest I love each helicopter module with no real favorites anymore and actually using the mission editor will load up my missions with each helicopter on client and switch from one to the other as I attempt/fail my homemade missions.

The other day I realized how much I had forgot how brilliant the black shark was simply because I had spent all my time flying the UH-1. Point is don't get too fixated on one, give them all a fair rotation and you'll probably find yourself loving the one you liked least at the beginning, the most in the end, just as it often is with people.

Trust me though learn how to tame the black shark and the UH-1 will seem so much easier, I was very surprised giving that it has no auto piloting just how easy I found the Huey to be but of course this was really on account of how much I suffered and learned with the BS.

My biggest challenge is going back to planes, I just love helicopters too much!

Nicely said.

This is a real dilemma in DCS; how do we find enough time to fly all these superbly modelled choppers with all their glaring individual personalities caused by all their different mechanical attributes and design philosophies.

Each DCS Chopper is sooo different from the other that it simply makes chopper flying in DCS a true delight!

It is so easy to start picking favourites but still, the discarded airframes are always calling out to you like an old flame that needs revisiting..... for me, its the Huey that was discarded and yet she still calls to me with her substandard turning ability and her superb hovering ability. Her lack of negative G tolerance but her lovely handling qualities. Her demanding of attention at all times.

Hmmmm do I need to get my Huey hours up?..... Of course just to keep up with the latest updates!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

As one above said, the Mi-8 is my living room :)

For me it is the best module of all I own, demanding to fly at first but like a wife you know for 30 years after you get to know her, still a bitch in some aspects but OH BOY she can be very rewarding.

I dont think that you will regret it.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Mi-8 is harder to fly than the Huey IMHO. It has the most realistic FM of all the DCS chopper's FMs and is more complex system wise. It does not forgive easily your mistakes even-though you can land pretty hard before you are actually breaking something compared to other DCS choppers. But forget where the wind is coming from and make an approach with a little too much VSI, and you'll brutally VRS with little chance to recovery. Forget about the altitude or temperature, you'll overtorque and stall your generators or ice your engines very easily. Auto rotations are OK though, but it's pretty much OK for all choppers in DCS except for the Gazelle.

so did they modelled engine icings ??

I purchased the Hip a few days ago. I really like/love flying the Huey and can manage most maneuvers quite well now. I thought for some reason the Hip would be easier to fly probably because it's larger and seems more stable. It wasn't a nightmare to fly but it was certainly a shock to find out how easy it was to get into a vortex ring state. It's just different and I have to adapt.

In VR it looks incredible inside the cockpit and I can't wait to get stuck into all the systems.

Yeah she will bite your arse real quick when it comes to VRS and a lack of concentration at slowdown.

Once understood this machine is super reliable.

• 4 weeks later...

this should answer you

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

might be something with my trim logic, but shes very stable. until you decide to push the nose forward... bucking like a horse...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.