Speed Brake & Flap Switch - TM Warthog

Hey just wanted to give a shout-out to the devs and to jweisner for this -- works like a charm!

Now if only I could figure out how to do voice recognition for the ground crew portions of startup... (I assume the answer is Voice Attack but I've never done it before).

There is a whole litany of "Flaps" commands and I would like to understand what each of them does. After reading that part of the flight manual I was no wiser.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

There is a whole litany of "Flaps" commands and I would like to understand what each of them does. After reading that part of the flight manual I was no wiser.

In short:

There's a flap lever at the back of the throttle base, which looks like the flap switch in the A10C, this has 3 settings - full, thumb switch, and up. Basically you can set flaps full, let the thumb switch control the flap settings, or up (overriding the thumb switch positions).

Then on the throttle there's a thumb switch, which is a sliding boat switch, which has 3 positions - up, automatic flaps, and fixed.

'Thumb switch' on the lever and 'auto' on the thumb switch are the two main settings you'd use.

3-Position Flaps Control with TM Warthog Throttle

I tried and found something that works for me:

after copying the new file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" into its place I removed my earlier Flaps bings and created new bindings as below:

Flap Switch -THUMB SW/FULL --> JOY_BTN23 on my TM Warthog throttle (Flaps Down)

Flap Switch - UP/FIXED --> JOY_BTN22 on my TM Warthog throttle (Flaps Up)

Flaps now work like in the A-10C (middle position = take-off position)

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Speedbrakes 3-Position Control with TM Warthog Throttle

After putting the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua" from cofcorpse into its folder I added three lines beginning at line 83, in the section "Throttle Quadrant". The first added line is only a comment to facilitate finding the customization.

{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,                                    cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,    value_down = -1,                name = _('Speed Brake Switch - OUT'),                        category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},
{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,                                    cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,    value_down = 0,                    name = _('Speed Brake Switch - OFF'),                        category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},
{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,                                    cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,    value_down = 1,                    name = _('Speed Brake Switch - IN'),                        category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},
--added 2 lines HWF
{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,    up = control_commands.SpdBrk, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = -1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos OUT'), category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},
{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,    up = control_commands.SpdBrk, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = 1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos IN'), category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},

After this addition to the LUA file, I added bindings to the 2 new options as follows:

Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos IN ---> JOY_BTN7 (Speedbrake Forward)

Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos OUT ---> JOY_BTN8 (Speedbrake Aft)

Operation:

When I pull the speedbrake switch aft, the speedbrakes extend until I release the speedbrake switch.

When I push the speedbrake switch forward, the speedbrakes retract until I push the switch back to center position.

Works nicely for me.

LeCuvier

Man I wish I understood what all of this code means... I'll post this in hope of a little explanation/understanding to see if it's worth me learning to start messing with it...

Is the 3 position only available because Belsimtek have left us with those "IN/OUT/OFF" and all we have to do is tell the sim:

When Button X is pressed - run the command; when Button X is released - run this handy command that BST have implemented for us?

Man I wish I understood what all of this code means... I'll post this in hope of a little explanation/understanding to see if it's worth me learning to start messing with it...

Is the 3 position only available because Belsimtek have left us with those "IN/OUT/OFF" and all we have to do is tell the sim:

When Button X is pressed - run the command; when Button X is released - run this handy command that BST have implemented for us?

Not quite. The warthog three position switches work like two buttons in one. When the switch are forward, the switch holds down one "button", when the switch is aft it holds down another "button". When the switch is in the mid position the buttons are released.

The first 3 lines of code work in the following manner (not suitable for use with the Warthog):

1. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move out (does not need to be held down).
  2. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will stop (used to stop the movement of the brake at an intermediate position after pressing the out or in button).
  3. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move in (does not need to be held down).

The last two lines are compatible with the warthog's 3 position switches. Hoepfully with my description at the top it will make sense why:

4. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move out while the button is held. Will stop when the button is released.
  5. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move in while the button is held. Will stop when the button is released.

Thanks Squirrel.. I think we are on the same page but maybe I am bad at explaining...

Say BST made us:

Airbrake OFF

Airbrake ON

(ala FC3 aircraft)

then it is impossible to code the speedbrake to work as per the A10C or this mod for the Tiger?

Yes, if the original default.lua or the equivalent Warthog file has only these 2 commands (and that's the case in FC3 as far as I could see) then you cannot define the 3-posion flaps control as in the A-10C; no matter how proficient you are with LUA file editing.

There is a tutorial on the subjet under

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

in case you want to study more..

LeCuvier

I'll probably have a look. It can't be much more than using the commands from this and maybe a little jiggery-pokery to get the 3 position switches working for as many other aircraft as I can.

Seems to be a little lazy that it isn't incorporated already on a lot of modules since the Warthog is a pretty common setup in these parts :p

I modified some more controls for Warthog HOTAS. Also I modified the controls so that flipping a switch on HOTAS off won't register as UP in the game.

Controls added:

Guns, Missile and Camera Switch (works as a 3-way-switch)

Ext Fuel Cl Switch

Ext Fuel Pylons Switch

Crossfeed Switch

Right Boost Pump Switch (inverted, works best with ENG OPER switches)

Left Boost Pump Switch (inverted, works best with ENG OPER switches)

This also includes controls from previous user modifications and is JSGME ready.

F-5E Alternate Controls.zip

Edited by Jansgi

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 

G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz

Not quite. The warthog three position switches work like two buttons in one. When the switch are forward, the switch holds down one "button", when the switch is aft it holds down another "button". When the switch is in the mid position the buttons are released.

The first 3 lines of code work in the following manner (not suitable for use with the Warthog):

1. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move out (does not need to be held down).
  2. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will stop (used to stop the movement of the brake at an intermediate position after pressing the out or in button).
  3. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move in (does not need to be held down).

The last two lines are compatible with the warthog's 3 position switches. Hoepfully with my description at the top it will make sense why:

4. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move out while the button is held. Will stop when the button is released.
  5. When the button assigned to this command is pressed down, the speed brake will move in while the button is held. Will stop when the button is released.

I used CH products. Any idea if I implement 4 and 5 if it will work?

As of now I have "3 Positions" for speed brake. Out, In, and Stop. So if I only want to deploy the speed brakes a little, I have to hit my out button, followed quickly by the stop button. Kind of a pain. I was hoping to implement it so that the speed brakes stop when I release the corresponding OUT, or IN button on my throttle.

As of now I have "3 Positions" for speed brake. Out, In, and Stop. So if I only want to deploy the speed brakes a little, I have to hit my out button, followed quickly by the stop button. Kind of a pain. I was hoping to implement it so that the speed brakes stop when I release the corresponding OUT, or IN button on my throttle.

Yes it should. Instead of three buttons you'll need two: in, out. The brake will only move when you hold the button and will stop when released.

Referring back to my post dated "07-25-2016, 12:14 PM":

This should work with any joystick or throttle. You would either use two On/Off switches or one 3-Position switch which is electrically the same as two On/Off switches that are mechanically linked.

As you don't use a TM Warthog HOTAS you should make the modification in the file "default.lua", adding these lines after line 82 using Notepad++:

--added 2 lines HWF
{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,    up = control_commands.SpdBrk, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = -1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos OUT'), category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},
{    down = control_commands.SpdBrk,    up = control_commands.SpdBrk, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = 1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos IN'), category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},

The first line is a comment; not necessary but helps to find the modification. Replace "HWF" with your own initials

After saving the modified file you assign the two switches of your 3-Position switch to the new items "Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos OUT and "Speed Brake Switch 3-Pos IN".

Caution: If you had bound these switches to any input, you have to clear these bindings before modifying the file.

Thus the sequence:

1. clear existing bindings for the 2 switches

2. Modify "default.lua" (Recommendation: make a backup copy of the original file)

3. Start DCS and create new binding for the 2 new options

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

So to add to this for the Warthog. How would you set up the throttles so that the game recognizes when they're moved past the idle/off detent, so that I don't have to use the R.Shift/R.Alt + Home or End keystroke on the keyboard? Like the A-10C supports natively. I haven't actually tried setting any aircraft up like that so maybe it's easier than to do than I've thought.

The simplest way to use detents is to go into the throttle curves for each aircraft you need afterburner detents for, and check the slider box, open the throttles to the detent point, and then move the deadzone slider until the line and 2 dots coincide at the bottom of the graph.

You will need to do it for both curves, and then just click OK to save the settings.

It may take a little fiddling around to get the afterburner to kick in at exactly the right point, but it is a simple and effective fix.

Okay so that's simple enough for the afterburner, but is it basically the same for the idle/off detent then? I'm playing with a Vive and trying to find the keys while I'm starting the engines is a bit awkward.

Okay so that's simple enough for the afterburner, but is it basically the same for the idle/off detent then? I'm playing with a Vive and trying to find the keys while I'm starting the engines is a bit awkward.

Is this that, what are you looking for?

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

So to add to this for the Warthog. How would you set up the throttles so that the game recognizes when they're moved past the idle/off detent, so that I don't have to use the R.Shift/R.Alt + Home or End keystroke on the keyboard? Like the A-10C supports natively. I haven't actually tried setting any aircraft up like that so maybe it's easier than to do than I've thought.

There are places to set up Idle detent on/off in for the left and right throttle in TARGET.

JD

AKA_MattE

Is this that, what are you looking for?

I don't know German so I can't say for sure. Look like it's binding it to a button on the throttle though? I was wanting it bound to the throttle axis itself. Like the A-10C does natively.

There are places to set up Idle detent on/off in for the left and right throttle in TARGET.

JD

AKA_MattE

Ah alright, awesome. Thank you. I have TARGET but have not spent any time trying to figure it out yet. Looks like I'll have to start reading up on it.

BobFlex, the off/idle detent is just buttons being pressed when lifting the throttle from off to idle and vice versa.

So you need to find "Throttle (left) - OFF/IDLE" in F-5 control settings. click it and move the left throttle in and out of the detent a few times to bind the button. Same for the right throttle with "Throttle (right) - OFF/IDLE.

Hope that make sense.

BobFlex, the off/idle detent is just buttons being pressed when lifting the throttle from off to idle and vice versa.

So you need to find "Throttle (left) - OFF/IDLE" in F-5 control settings. click it and move the left throttle in and out of the detent a few times to bind the button. Same for the right throttle with "Throttle (right) - OFF/IDLE.

Hope that make sense.

Really? Well that's neat. I actually did try this once, but only moved the throttle itself like once or twice and it didn't register so I assumed it just didn't work like that. Good to know, Thanks!