DCS updates on steam...

MikeMikeJuliet

Hello all.

I currently have DCS on Steam and I have opted in the beta updates branch. Usually the updates get there a couple of hours or a day or two after the standalone releases and that is all fine for me.

As of late though DCS standalone has been updated a couple of times (both 1.5 and 1.5 open beta) but none of those updates have been pushed to Steam. This is especially frustrating now that 1.5.3 open beta introduced the Hawk EFM last saturday and it doesn't seem that anything has happened on that front on Steam. Additionally I haven't fiund any source of information about the Steam updates at all. The news section on Steam does not provide info (other games usually post their change logs there) and from what I've seen there is no separate thread for Steam updates here either.

Why is this? And does someone know when the Steam version is updated next? Is there a place to find that info?

I know ED is focused on the standalone and that is fine, but I feel this as lack of support toward the Steam users.

Thanks in advance,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I think there is a huge difference between a lack of support, and promptly updating Steam.

Without entering into yet another debate about whether Steam is better than direct downloading, the simple truth is that Steam is, and probably always will be well behind ED when it comes to releasing updates.

The solution is simply to transfer all your modules from Steam to stand alone if you want earlier updates. Otherwise, you'll just have to accept the delays and carry on. What is certainly not happening is that Steam is being neglected, it is just how the system works.

• ED Team

The steam open beta has updated, or it has on my version.

showing 1.5.3.52724.74

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think there is a huge difference between a lack of support, and promptly updating Steam.

Without entering into yet another debate about whether Steam is better than direct downloading, the simple truth is that Steam is, and probably always will be well behind ED when it comes to releasing updates.

The solution is simply to transfer all your modules from Steam to stand alone if you want earlier updates. Otherwise, you'll just have to accept the delays and carry on. What is certainly not happening is that Steam is being neglected, it is just how the system works.

I don't want to go into such debate either. I understand and accept that the Steam version is lagging behind somewhat and as I said I have no problem with that. I know the kind of obstacles there are in using different platforms and I'm not in a mad dash to get everything the second it comes out.

What I wish I had is information when the Steam version doesn't update at all for a while, as did happen (at least to me) within the last 30 days. Now I'm unable to confirm if the update has happened within the last 24 hours since I'm away from home... again this would be easier if we had an outlet for information regarding the Steam updates: Like a simple "steam version will update within 3 days" or something of the sort within the the news update posts or something.

Thank you for your input.

• 1 month later...
The changelog can be viewed in this thread - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147601

It has to be read in conjunction with the independent developers change logs for details about some of the modules however - M2000C and Hawk are both currently undergoing a lot of detail changes, and so is the SA342M Gazelle.

The problem is not what changes, but rather when the updates are pushed on Steam.

At this point in time, I've been waiting now for 2 and a half weeks for DCS to be updated to Open Beta 1.5.4. ED has not given any information when the Open beta will be pushed to the Steam open beta branch.

What is the point in having an open beta steam version, if the open beta only updates with every stable update? Could ED kindly provide just 1 line of text in the 1.5. update notes as to when the steam version updates?

Thank you.

Exactly why I don't use the steam version.

Yea, I get that really well. I'm not an impatient person, so for me to wait for an update is not really the issue. The issue is that there is a lack of communication for the steam version by ED. I'm all good waiting for 2 or 3 weeks to get my update, if someone just came and told us "hey, all *this* will be updated to the steam version in 3 weeks".

If the open beta is left unattended on steam for such long times, why have it at all.

All this said, this is NOT a thread about which version is better. It's just to point out that some attention to the issue is needed.

Yea, I get that really well. I'm not an impatient person, so for me to wait for an update is not really the issue. The issue is that there is a lack of communication for the steam version by ED. I'm all good waiting for 2 or 3 weeks to get my update, if someone just came and told us "hey, all *this* will be updated to the steam version in 3 weeks".

If the open beta is left unattended on steam for such long times, why have it at all.

All this said, this is NOT a thread about which version is better. It's just to point out that some attention to the issue is needed.

I second this.

ED should little more communicate with the Steam customers as well.

And this is that standalone customers shouldn't act cocky and recommend people to abandon the Steam, as ED has chosen to distribute and sell their product via Steam as well and hence it is same thing as standalone fans would say directly to ED to pull DCS from steam.

That said, it is ok for many steam user to just get the updates little later, or even get the modules released few weeks after standalone, but it is just unacceptable to be left without any information when, or at least why something has been delayed. Just a few words "The update comes in a week" or "The update is pushed to version x.y.z to be stable". And then if there is a "Open Beta" then push it anyways, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work as it is "beta" and people needs to understand that beta means things gets broken sometimes and it is not a synonym for "sooner release" as it is now.

Beta should be always be installed side by side with stable branch so the experienced people can test new features, give feedback to developers what is broken or other problems existing. Not to play new features as first.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

ED should little more communicate with the Steam customers as well.

And this is that standalone customers shouldn't act cocky and recommend people to abandon the Steam, as ED has chosen to distribute and sell their product via Steam as well and hence it is same thing as standalone fans would say directly to ED to pull DCS from steam.

That said, it is ok for many steam user to just get the updates little later, or even get the modules released few weeks after standalone, but it is just unacceptable to be left without any information when, or at least why something has been delayed. Just a few words "The update comes in a week" or "The update is pushed to version x.y.z to be stable". And then if there is a "Open Beta" then push it anyways, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work as it is "beta" and people needs to understand that beta means things gets broken sometimes and it is not a synonym for "sooner release" as it is now.

Beta should be always be installed side by side with stable branch so the experienced people can test new features, give feedback to developers what is broken or other problems existing. Not to play new features as first.

I've said these words 2 years ago, but they(formers and moderators) just repeated valve stolen money from ED and just move to standalone patch again and again.

These guys don't care about steam user.

#steamuserlivesmatter

LOL

I've said these words 2 years ago, but they(formers and moderators) just repeated valve stolen money from ED and just move to standalone patch again and again.

These guys don't care about steam user.

#steamuserlivesmatter

LOL

And yet those standalone defenders doesn't remember anything about business, where Valve will deliver the servers, bandwidth, electricity, backups, security, user forums, statics, key management, license management, cloud save synchronization (would be great for example controllers profiles!) and many other things.

What the developers really needs "only" to do, is to send files to Valve and everything is automatically then distributed and updated to customers by changed files. It is like copying files to USB stick (if developer wants to do it that easy way) and Valve takes care of anything else.

That is reason why Steam is so great for indie developers as they can just upload files and it is automatically uploaded to users immediately or couple hours later. Do that with the ED own standalone system, where ED needs to maintain everything by themselves, it takes money that is already in their business counts. And why ED store price is not just the profit for ED, but they need to cut everything else out from it first. And I could think off, that Steam will add profits to ED, or being at least on par as their own system does.

And for end user who use Steam as well, it is just far more easier and faster to use the steam (hence one reason why steam users hate U-play or Windows Games as they are using own account launchers etc).

I am accepting that I get only max -30% sales through steam and that is for Euros, while if I would buy from ED, I would use their -50% sales and benefit from the Euro > Dollar conversion, and then even get the bonus dollars for next purchase, meaning I would pay far less to ED through their store than I would through Steam, meaning I am supporting ED far more by this way. And if I want to support ED, then I would buy full price modules and even gift some to other random people that way who wouldn't otherwise buy those.

But being as Steam user, it is just not respectful not to get updates, not to get notifications, information or news. It would just be copy-paste from ED own newsletter or patch log to Valve system and press a button to send it.

And then there are sayings that we can't get beta modules to DCS Steam because Valve doesn't allow it. While everyone other developer can do it, like the ARMA III just got the Apex DLC that is in the beta and only available when you opt to beta.

It is just a question how does the developers want to treat their different customers, and I would say the basic task is to just at least communicate with the customers and fans, by informing what is happening, what is coming etc. Like ED could just post the new official trailers, videos etc as news to DCS at Steam.

So either keep Steam as much as possible on same level as ED own store, or then just jump off from Steam and try to survive without most popular digital gaming distribution channel and community.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Do not turn this into a Steam/ED Business Practice Debate.

That being said, there are ED Reps on Steam Forums.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Why not charge extra $ for Steam Early Access?

I would gladly pay an extra $5 or $10 to be able to play 2.0 and NTTR now on Steam. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

ED: "Hey, you can buy <Insert Module> Open Alpha on our store for the regular price of $49.99. But you can also purchase it on Steam if you want for an small extra cost of $5. When it's released, the price will return for its original value."

I think it's about time for ED to review their policy on Steam Early Access of their products.

Open a poll, talk to your customers.

The extra cost would make everyone happy, right? ED wouldn't be losing money and Steam users wouldn't have to wait a year or so until the release of the module.

Win-win situation, am I rite?

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

^That would definitely not go over very well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

My experience so far with the non-steam and steam version has been crap. If the 2 versions cannot not be synced then just pull the steam version off. All it does is cause confusion.

I've owned the non-steam version for years on a different computer. I also have another computer for my Vive games. Since it was there on steam I decided to download it and see how it looked with the Vive. The only issue is all the addons I bought for the non-steam version will not work on steam.

So I said screw it, deleted the steam version and downloaded the non-steam version on my Vive computer. Added the keys and nothing works. Can't choose instant action or anything.

After you pay so much money for their software you'd think they would make it simple to sync up their products. I have to spend hours reading posts on what works and what doesn't with which versions. It sure doesn't make me want to buy anything else from ED. Not impressed at all.

So I said screw it, deleted the steam version and downloaded the non-steam version on my Vive computer. Added the keys and nothing works. Can't choose instant action or anything.

which standalone version are you running? 2.0 or 1.5?

the 2.0 will only run with the NTTR

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

After you pay so much money for their software you'd think they would make it simple to sync up their products. I have to spend hours reading posts on what works and what doesn't with which versions. It sure doesn't make me want to buy anything else from ED. Not impressed at all.

It is very simple to sync your modules with DCS World.

Just go to the module manager, and it will automatically bring everything up to date.

There are however 2 versions of DCS World right now due to the roll out of support for DX11. One version is currently unable to run the latest map - the NTTR range map - and the other map - Caucasus - is being updated to work with the new system, and also to recieve a make over - therefore, in order that the new map could be released to the public, an interim Alpha version of DCS World was released.

You have occasionally to wait for a module to be made available on one or other version of the system, but that wait is generally never more than a week or two - the time it takes to release the updates to both versions.

Just because you don't understand the system, doesn't make it a bad product. Put simply, if you use the release version of 1.5.4, you will have everything but the NTTR map.

Asking a simple question on this forum will save you reading lots of posts too. You just have to go about things the right way, and you'll get the answers you need quickly and easily. Is it perfect - no. Is it the best possible workaround given the issues - probably.

The other issue regarding module releases on Steam is down to a policy of the Steam franchise, and beyond the control of ED. The answer is to make a choice between waiting, or getting them early - that choice means either Steam or stand alone. Steam gets updates later.

Edited by NeilWillis

• 3 months later...

Does any dev, tester, or someone otherwise involved have an idea when the 1.5.5 update is pushed to Steam? Last friday the Open beta did not patch there, and now even the stable update is missing. I'm fully aware it takes some time for DCS to follow suit on Steam, but that's normally a case of an hour or two, not days...

I've heard speculation it would be because of the problems with the F-5 release. I'm okay if the update is delayed, but I'd like to hear information. We are again left wondering on the status of the Steam update.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet