HORTON Ho229 v4+ by Polychop Simulations

borchi_2b

I have no desire to see an experimental aircraft that only ever flew as a glider made in DCS. There is no way to hold it to the dcs standard and it would just be a "what if" plane better suited for other sims.

It didn't just fly as a glider. The V2 flew with both jet engines 3-4 test flights. ;-)

Just getting the facts straight.

Edit says: Shagrat beat me on that one :D

Edited by Kappi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Horten Brothers continued its work in Argentina in the 50s.

Clen+Antu.jpg

They even designed a Supersonic Interceptor that never reached the prototype stage. While Kurt Tank was developing the Pulqui, later also dropped (for 38 F 86 Sabres offered by the US if the development was droped (and Peron deposed). Tank moved to India where his talents were more apreciated, while teh Horten Bros. remained here building Gliders...

• 1 month later...
It didn't just fly as a glider. The V2 flew with both jet engines 3-4 test flights. ;-)

Just getting the facts straight.

Edit says: Shagrat beat me on that one :D

exactly...

the V2 did.... but not the V3, and certainly not the V4+ versions , latter of which are paper planes.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is this project still alive? On ice? Cancelled?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Cancelled I guess, this aircraft was never in use anyway

Thanks, but I can do guesses on my own. I was hoping for verified information or an official statement...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 year later...

.....and a year after do we have to seriously understand that this project is dead?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 1 month later...

A few Ho-229 articles have hit my social media feeds over the last few years, mostly from the Smithsonian as they work on the V3 restoration 

I fully understand the reluctance from some quarters to have a Ho-229, but as NineLine frequently states... it’s about interesting aircraft and this certainly is. (If nothing else, simulation is all about doing something that can’t be done in real life)

Did the v3 ever fly?  There are no RLM / German records, but based on the restoration work it does seem likely that the airframe was at least ground run at some stage as scorch marks were found beneath the engines.

Personally, I find it inconceivable that either the existing airframe or a contemporaneous replica was not run as part of post war research - so the scorch marks might have been from US based trials even if the airframe wasn’t tested in Germany...

Also, oddly, this thing was captured in 1945, but didn’t turn up at the Smithsonian until 1950 or 1952 🤔.  Four years in US storage with nobody crawling all over it - seems pretty unlikely...!  

As a minimum you’d expect that a full technical assessment would have been completed to evaluate the design and construction, perhaps more likely with that information feeding into US designs rather than the airframe being flown itself

https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/horten-ho-229-v3/