Any possibility for a Invincible class carrier?

104th_Maverick

I don’t believe so, the device in the nose of the GR.3 was known as the Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker, so whilst it could emit it was only in terms of ranging as far as I am aware. It would be pretty inaccurate (and dangerous in combat) to have to point the whole aircraft at the target I would imagine. The marked target seeker would be somewhat like LSS on the ARBS although without the camera, perhaps Pave Penny on the A-10A is a better match. The LRMTS was also used on the Jaguar and Tornado.

I’ve read Hostile Skies but it was a while ago, how is it worded? I thought that all GBU drops in the Falklands were ground designated. Happy to be wrong on all counts though!

Edit: just found this looking for more info on LRMTS, it has nice details on the Falklands GBU drops and says they tried to guide the bombs with the laser ranger on one occasion but it wasn’t compatible with Paveway (you would think they would have known that beforehand).

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1982/1982%20-%202627.PDF

I have see picture and read about the llaser guided bombs, and not always can they fly low, there was a Oerlikon skyguard that protect a 300meters bouble. the laser guided bombs was used during the ninght attacks.

Sharkey Ward has a bit of a mixed reputation...

Was interesting reading about the rivalry( not all good natured ) between the two carriers, and how the Hermes crews seem to get more out of the radar than the Invincible ones.

Well you call the Admiral an idiot and it does wonders for your career :D I believe the same system applies these days too, such is how sycophants do OK. Personally, anyone that stands up to be counted and knows their own mind has a great quality.

-----

As for the manner he conducted his warfare, I don't think it's worth judging humans who acted in life or death situations, from armchairs: The Herc and crew had a difficult task of resuplying equipment to Argentinian ground forces on the Falklands. There's simply no mandate for 'clipping wings, playing laser tag or deciding who won other than the ultimate sacrifice. Landing with a fire or not does not stop it's mission. Unfortunately war is decided by the killing of people. It does not decide who is Right. Only who is Left.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *