How to use dedicated server(s) with Tacview real-time telemetry

EDIT: The instructions in this post do not apply for Tacview 1.8.5 and above. See our wiki here for up to date instructions: https://tacview.fandom.com/wiki/User_Guide_–_DCS_World#Using_Tacview_with_DCS_World_Dedicated_Server

Hi everyone,

DCS World dedicated server can be used with Tacview real-time telemetry, even if you have multiple instances running on the same computer.

First, ensure Tacview has been installed on each server. Copy-paste the contents of

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\DCS\

to

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\YOUR_SERVER_NAME\

for each server.

Or, make sure your server name starts with DCS, for example you could call your server DCS.server1. Then re-run the Tacview installer and Tacview will install itself there. In a future release we will improve this so Tacview will automatically install in the dedicated servers' custom folders.

Secondly, access the

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\YOUR_SERVER_NAME\Config\options.lua 

file for each server and add this under plugins if its not there. ["tacviewPlaybackDelay"] = 0 indicates real-time telemetry.

["plugins"] = {

["Tacview"] = {
		["tacviewBookmarkShortcut"] = 0,
		["tacviewClientTelemetryPassword"] = "",
		["tacviewCompressionLevel"] = 0,
		["tacviewDataRecordingEnabled"] = true,
		["tacviewDebugModeEnabled"] = true,
		["tacviewHostTelemetryPassword"] = "",
		[b]["tacviewPlaybackDelay"] = 0,[/b]
		["tacviewProfilingPeriod"] = 600,
		["tacviewRealTimeTelemetryPort"] = "42674",
		["tacviewRecordClientsSessionsEnabled"] = false,
		["tacviewRemoteControlPassword"] = "",
		["tacviewRemoteControlPort"] = "42675",
		["tacviewTerrainExport"] = 0,
	},
},

If you need help just let me know and please attach your dcs.log file for each of your servers.

Edited by BuzyBee
Information is out of date
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am conducting a standard installation of Tacview on my Dedicated Server. It does not appear to be generating the options.lua data or moving the Mods or Scripts folders into the DCS profile either. Is this a known issue? Also, is there a location like a discord or something that people can discuss these kinds of issues?

CPU: i9-12900K @ 4.9Ghz

M/B: MSI MEG z690 Ace

RAM: 128GB

Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X

VR: Varjo Aero

• 3 weeks later...

I can connect to the Server Realtime Telemetry fine from the localhost, I can't connect to it outside of the system. That is both with the windows firewall enabled and disabled.

ok, worked it out. Apparently if you have an IPv6 address for the DCS Server, IPv4 will not allow the connection for TACView.

So, if you have IPv6 setup for your DCS Server you must connect using the IPv6 IP. (if you are on the same LAN as your Server)

Edited by OzDeaDMeaT

ok, worked it out. Apparently if you have an IPv6 address for the DCS Server, IPv4 will not allow the connection for TACView.

So, if you have IPv6 setup for your DCS Server you must connect using the IPv6 IP. (if you are on the same LAN as your Server)

Good info! Actually this is our first confirmation that IPv6 works with Tacview. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Setting up my first DCS dedicated server today. I'd like to use Tacview on it. I own an advanced license through Steam. This is installed on my DCS client which is a different PC. In order to install Tacview on my server must I purchase a 2nd license? Thank you.

Setting up my first DCS dedicated server today. I'd like to use Tacview on it. I own an advanced license through Steam. This is installed on my DCS client which is a different PC. In order to install Tacview on my server must I purchase a 2nd license? Thank you.

Hi,

Each license is "per workstation" or "per user" so if you are the only user of the license you may use it on multiple PC's.

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 7:15 AM, BuzyBee said:

Hi,

Each license is "per workstation" or "per user" so if you are the only user of the license you may use it on multiple PC's.

Hi, I am suspecting Tacview to be maxing my CPU (i7-7700K) on my DCS Server. Is there an easy way to temporarily disable Tacview for troubleshooting, wihtout uninstalling it? Thank you!

▀▄▀▄▀▄ DCS: Air Assault Operations ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Having problems removing the 10 minute delay.

I've added the ["Tacview"] section under plugins in the options.lua file.

In that, I changed ['tackviewPlaybackDelay"] = 0

When clients connect, they are still subject to the 10 minute delay.

Running DCS OB 2.7 dedicated server and exports are on.

See my attached options.lua file.

What am I doing wrong?

-Wraith

---EDIT---

I solved my own problem.  Was not the options.lua.  I didn't realize you had to copy c:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\DCS folder contents to Saved Games\DCSxxx

This puts the hook in place so now the server and tacview can talk to each other.

Hope this helps someone.

-Wraith

Edited by wraith70
Problem Solved

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, BuzyBee said:

Hi everyone,

DCS World dedicated server can be used with Tacview real-time telemetry, even if you have multiple instances running on the same computer.

First, ensure Tacview has been installed on each server. Copy-paste the contents of

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\DCS\

to

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\YOUR_SERVER_NAME\

for each server.

Or, make sure your server name starts with DCS, for example you could call your server DCS.server1. Then re-run the Tacview installer and Tacview will install itself there. In a future release we will improve this so Tacview will automatically install in the dedicated servers' custom folders.

Secondly, access the

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\YOUR_SERVER_NAME\Config\options.lua 

file for each server and add this under plugins if its not there. ["tacviewPlaybackDelay"] = 0 indicates real-time telemetry.

["plugins"] = {

["Tacview"] = {
	},
},

If you need help just let me know and please attach your dcs.log file for each of your servers.

Edit: disregard. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

• 2 months later...

unfortunatly everytime i am trying to start the server after inserting

["plugins"] = {

["Tacview"] = {
	},
},

to [%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\YOUR_SERVER_NAME\Config\options.lua] the server won't start.

I am using the latest version of TacView with the latest Version of DCS.Server.openbeta.

There is an error telling something like "failed to load Tacview .... Not authorized"

TacView recording is being started without the TacView entries under plugins as described above. It seems that standard configuration is being loaded from tacview.dll.

Is there a way to edit this file? Withoutn changing tacviewPlaybackDelay to 0 I wqon't be able to use realtime telemetry

Thanks for help

Edited by SlooFooD

System: Z390 AORUS MASTER, i9-9900KS @ 5.2Ghz AllCore, AORUS RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB, 2x2 TB 970 Pro, 64GB GSkill F4-3600C17-16GTZR, Custom WC Loop (2x420 Rads), TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5 (Pro), ASUS X34P & Virtual Cockpit for iPad (A10C/F18C)

modules: F/A-18C, A-10C, F-16C, FC3, CA, SuperCarrier, BlackShark2, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H Huey