GBU 38 Training

DWaldie

I can't speak to the A-10 IRL, but in other jets - you can't hear the bombs coming off at all. I mean think about it, even if you were only doing 200 kts - imagine rolling your windows down in your car at 200 kts and hearing just the wind noise and the jet engine noise. No way you're going to hear a KER-THUNK of a bomb being ejected off a rack though all that other noise.

You can definitely feel it though, especially a MK-84. But unfortunately, you can't simulate that in DCS.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I can't speak to the A-10 IRL, but in other jets - you can't hear the bombs coming off at all. I mean think about it, even if you were only doing 200 kts - imagine rolling your windows down in your car at 200 kts and hearing just the wind noise and the jet engine noise. No way you're going to hear a KER-THUNK of a bomb being ejected off a rack though all that other noise.

You can definitely feel it though, especially a MK-84. But unfortunately, you can't simulate that in DCS.

Be cool to put a “butt kicker” or “bass shaker” in, to simulate some of that. Certainly with the gun as well.. They can be integrated for a certain PC racing sim, wonder if they can be for DCS...?

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I tried it with "Hear Like Helmet" on and off and it only makes a slight difference with the engine noise. No difference with bomb release, either way it's almost inaudible unfortunately.

I wish they would bring back the sound. It might not be as realistic, but it made up for the lack of the tactile thump which occurs IRL.