Military and Aviation News Thread (NO DISCUSSION)

topol-m

Poor creature... :(

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Hopefully the Iranian scientists have the common decency to have a way to euthanise it before it dies from asphyxiation, dehydration, or starvation (and not just say they have one, like the Soviets said with Laika). This not being a one-way trip is infinitely preferable though.

A oldie but goodie

I'm losing it, not yet not yet, you're only 2G's :megalol: start at 39 seconds

Edited by Cali

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

G's are something else...

When I felt it during Air Combat USA I had the exact same reaction to it.

Pulling 2 Gs is not the same as pulling 2 Gs in a commercial airplane as a passanger of a 747.

It really is surprising. Then when I was hitting about 3-4 I asked how many we did expecitng hte answer to be somewhere beyond 5-6, my instructor just turned to me and said "nah... that was just 3. something..."

I did the look of shame. But hitting 5-6, ohhh boyy. That's an elephant sitting on your body. Slightly disorienting. But still ok. The worst was trying to look left and behind me on those high G turns... Neck really friggin hurt after about 15 of those, but you don't even start to hit tunnel vision on those low G's. At least I didn't, I know Linebacker didn't either.

Edited by ralfidude

I did 6.5 g's on my ride, it wasn't too bad, I wanted to try 9. I get car sick if I'm not driving on curvy roads and very bad sea sickness. That was the only thing that stopped me from trying to do 9g's.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I did 6.5 g's on my ride, it wasn't too bad, I wanted to try 9. I get car sick if I'm not driving on curvy roads and very bad sea sickness. That was the only thing that stopped me from trying to do 9g's.

Try 3g in an ex-Tyrell F1 car while on the ground.:D

787 batteries are now cleared to fly but not with the plane.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-787-grounded-batteries-fly-092808391--finance.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — At the time the government certified Boeing's 787 Dreamliners as safe, federal rules barred the type of batteries used to power the airliner's electrical systems from being carried as cargo on passenger planes because of the fire risk.

Now the situation is reversed.

Dreamliners worldwide were grounded nearly three weeks ago after lithium ion batteries that are part of the planes led to a fire in one plane and smoke in a second. But new rules exempt aircraft batteries from the ban on large lithium ion batteries as cargo on flights by passenger planes.

In effect, that means the Dreamliner's batteries are now allowed to fly only if they're not attached to a Dreamliner.

Try 3g in an ex-Tyrell F1 car while on the ground.:D

Did you do that?

Did you do that?

Yup. Rockingham International F1 experience. More is possible but pulling over 3g at 0ft worrying about grip and walls is different to doing it mid-air above 5000ft. I believe the pros achieve about 6g at Suzuka.

Edited by marcos

Yup. Rockingham International F1 experience. More is possible but pulling over 3g at 0ft worrying about grip and walls is different to doing it mid-air above 5000ft. I believe the pros achieve about 6g at Suzuka.

I'm sure it is a lot different, but I'd rather pull 6.5 in the air than 3 on the ground. Flying a fighter jet is something that can't be put into words.

Linebacker had the pleasure of doing 9 G's in the back of an F-16. Said it was seriously no fun doing it with the goddamn helmet mounted sights adding a few pounds on your neck. I fully agree.

That's awesome that he was able to do that. That's a once in a lifetime experience that he'll never forget!

Also worth noting that G is a different animal when you control it. I've only done exactly 5 and no more at the controls (aircraft was limited) but that's enough to drain a little color from your vision. It's a cool experience.

I fully agree, it was much better when I took control of the jet.

I'm sure it is a lot different, but I'd rather pull 6.5 in the air than 3 on the ground. Flying a fighter jet is something that can't be put into words.

Driving an F1 car is something that I can put into a word, but it's not repeatable. I'd rather be in the air too. Seems safer somehow.

I had never experienced degradation of my vision or GLOC during any high G manoeuvre, so when I finally got the chance to do it safely (ie. someone else at the controls), I just sat back, relaxed, and let the G suit try and save me. Wasn't like the classic "tunnel vision" or looking through a straw (for me anyway), but started to fade in general. Still haven't GLOCed though, the g-suit / AGSM is a pretty good combination.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old(ish) news but the A-10 is getting the Scorpion HMIT (Helmet mounted Integrated Targeting) system.

http://raytheon.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1601

The U.S. Air Force has awarded Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) a $12.6 million contract for Phase 1 integration and qualification of the Helmet Mounted Integrated Targeting (HMIT) system for Air Force and Air National Guard A-10C and F-16C Block 30/32 aircraft.

HMIT will be a "heads-up" system that displays crucial information in high-resolution color imagery directly in the pilot's field of vision. Information displayed will include weapons-cueing, targeting and situational awareness information, including data from on-board and remote sensors. The system will track helmet movement to display accurate imagery regardless of the direction the pilot's head is turned, and it will be fully compatible with U.S. military-standard airborne night vision systems.

Raytheon Technical Services Company LLC (RTSC), the prime contractor, is teamed with Gentex Corp. to produce the system, based on Gentex's Visionix Scorpion™ Helmet Mounted Cueing System. The program includes five one-year production options, with a potential total value up to $50 million.

"The HMIT contract is a natural extension of our work designing and integrating advanced electronic display systems into fixed- and rotary-wing military aircraft," said RTSC Customized Engineering and Depot Support Vice President Wayne Iurillo. "The purpose of these new display systems is to give pilots the information they need, when and where they need it, so they can accomplish their missions. We've proven we can do that quickly, reliably and cost-effectively, with minimum downtime and minimal modification to the aircraft."

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Testimony/2011/April%202011/040111stenner.pdf

Edited by marcos