Life after beta, alpha, pre-alpha, post-beta (?) and so forth...

SkinnyCyclist

What will happen with the dual installs I have right now - DCS World 1.5 and DCS World 2/NEVADA Test and Training Range Map - when everything is released for real? Will there be some kind of merging of the two?

Windows 10 Home | ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Intel Core i7 7700K 4,2GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech G533 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes but when dcs-f18-2 comes out and you have to covert to DCS world 3.0 or 3.5. Then Str8 of Hormuz comes out and you have to merge 2.5 and 3.6. Then we go back to WWII and when that happends i think all the .'s are going to blow up and we have to start over!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 Monitors, 5 Video Cards, 90inch Flat Screen, Intel Bad Ass 2 @ 72.6Ghz, Atari Hotas!!!

...common sense would tell us that...
Thank you. Something that I probably lack.

Windows 10 Home | ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Intel Core i7 7700K 4,2GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech G533 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5

When the new engine and maps are all compatible with each other you will have one release version that is 2.5ish. If you don't like to test and debug you should only run the version 1.5.3 now. That version will be the one that will update itself to 2.5 when ready.

All versions called "Beta" "Alpha" and such is test versions where you most lightly will find a lot of problems.

Edited by HiJack

I would hope that we don't lose the ability to to participate in Open Beta testing.

I think the Open Alphs was only released to allow access to NTTR at the end of 2015. I would also think ED are unlikely to retain an open alpha release after the merge to 2.5. Just my $0.02 worth though.

When the Black Sea map is finally upgraded to the new engine, then the stable release version and the open beta will be updated to 2.5 and the open alpha will cease to exist. From that point on we will probably have two branches/installations in the future: The stable release branch and the open beta branch which probably will be kept alive to test new patches like it is the case now and has been before EDGE.

That's at least how I understand it.

Personally, I only use the open beta for about 2 years now and I'm fine with it. No alpha and no stable, just one DCS installation. I will wait for NTTR to be available in the beta/stable to play it.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We do not know, what will happen, with DCS in the future....

All we know is, he playes DCS, and he never looses....

He is called THE STIG !!!!!

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public