DCS World 2.5.x Caucasus Terrain Textures

Mustang have you come across this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3869786&postcount=2333

From DCS Wags.

Hey everyone,

Earlier we mentioned that we have been working on DCS VR optimization. I have good news today! After much investigation and work, we traced the issue back to the terrain engine. We have since adjusted the terrain engine, and this has resulted in a 50% increase in VR performance! We will continue to test and optimize this further, but we hope to have this great improvement to you soon.

Thanks

.. ?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

v1.29 updated 5th April in first post, main focus being the workaround for removal of the polka-dot spots on the forests at the tree bases, the texture replaced with one that blends with the forest base and no longer has glowing spots in shadowed areas (all seasons)

Also adjusted the height of the mountain snowlines so they better match the distant textures.

EykPhiM.jpg

RjhxJVE.jpg

Edited by Mustang

Thanks again, Mustang for all you're doing for us to improve DCS.

It's terribly ordinary to say but what saying else better ?

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Mustang , I have just skipped through this thread and its seems you have put many many hours and muck of you blood, sweet & tears into this mod , most of the screen shots I saw look brilliant.

Have you textured any of the empty map areas ?

Thanks for your work , I'll have to give it a try.

Shad

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

• 4 weeks later...
To use OvGME u also have to repack the whole mod to the OvGME standard.

Would ya mind explaining what you mean by this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Would ya mind explaining what you mean by this?

Folder formatting

The first folder in the configuration mods folder is the name of the mod and is purely for use with OVGME only; the contents of this folder get placed into our :\DCS World (OpenBeta)\ folder. Do take care that some mods require you to build the path yourselves.

Let's say that we have a sound file that we want to replace our Master Warning sound with. First we need to find the Master Warning sound itself, which is at

:\DCS World (OpenBeta)\Sounds\Effects\Aircraft\Cockpits\MasterWarning.ogg Then we obviously need to have our sound be named MasterWarning and have the .ogg file extension, as OVGME will want to replace it when we enable the mod for it. Once we have done this, we can make a mod in the configuration mod folder that replicated the file structure as shown above: remember that the first folder is for use within OVGME, let's name it 'Master Warning Mod'. So we make the following file structure into the OVGME configuration mod folder

:\Master Warning Mod\Sounds\Effects\Aircraft\Cockpits and in it we place our own MasterWarning file with the .ogg file extension.

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/OVGME#Folder_formatting

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I'm a little confused about how the updates work, also about the DCS root folder vs. the saved games folder. For this specific mod, I have the terrain.cfg.lua file in F:\DCS World\Mods\terrains\Caucasus. Does this file get replaced each time I run an update?

If I were to create a folder called C:\Users\jonat\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\terrains\Caucasus, and place the terrain.cfg.lua file in there, would it be used instead of the one in the root folder and not need to be updated? Does DCS give priority to whatever is in the Saved Games folder, or does it not work like that?

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I don't think it works like that. As far as I know it gives priority to root folder content and only additional files from safedgames are used.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

First post updated, I have tuned and re-introduced the noise texture from the earlier v1.18 and integrated it into the most recent package with all it's improvements thus presenting v1.30 (I have left a link for previous v1.29 under the images if anyone still wants that version)

bmf3E0p.jpg

Hi Mustang. Thanks for that. Any insight into my question two posts up? Will updates reset my textures back to default?

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Hi Mustang. Thanks for that. Any insight into my question two posts up? Will updates reset my textures back to default?

Yes it will, whenever an update comes it will revert your DCS to a complete clean version so you'll have to re-apply the mod either directly or through a 3rd party program like JSGME.

Yes it will, whenever an update comes it will revert your DCS to a complete clean version so you'll have to re-apply the mod either directly or through a 3rd party program like JSGME.

Copy that. Just to clarify: This is true for the texture files AND .lua file, correct?

Hello Mustang,

A very quick reply to tell you a very BIG thank you !

I was really enjoying v1.18 in the past and now seeing it with all the improvements is a wonderful surprise.

Thank you for sharing your work so generously !

I don't think it works like that. As far as I know it gives priority to root folder content and only additional files from safedgames are used.

install in

\saved games\DCS <version>

as "xx:\Saved Games\DCS<version>\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\vfstextures\.."

and "xx:\Saved Games\DCS<version>\Bazar\Textures\.."

and they'll survive a DCS update.

You can also do still JSGMS or the OvGME clone, if you figure out how to point the source and the xx:\Saved Games\DCS<version>\..

if you want to clean them out for MP / IC login

(I have different Saved games subdirs named with "dcs_variant.txt" in the DCS instal folder, that are run with a "copy/overwrite" batch to switch profiles before start "Run")

Edited by majapahit

Mustang:

There's a file

graphics_readme.txt

in the "x:\DCS\Config" install folder

mentioned in it

".. New method for overriding options is to create (or edit) a file

C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

or

and place your changes there.

Note:

- autoexec.cfg settings will override the options set via GUI.

- Graphic options in autoexec.cfg should be prefixed with options.graphics.

- file encoding should be UTF-8 without BOM

Example autoexec.cfg:

-- add custom texture path

-- note the slashes!

table.insert(options.graphics.VFSTexturePaths, "c:/Users/<LOGIN>/Saved Games/DCS/MyTextures")

.. "

How about that?

(terrain.cfg.lua should still be put in "xx:\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\terrain.cfg.lua" probably)

Edited by majapahit

Still cant get the mod to work, Just get a black screen joining any server but 104th server. Tried the whole page file thing did not work :/

Remember, the server has to allow modified textures in IC otherwise you won't get in, the 104th allows this hence why you are able to join.

aPtMkeC.jpg

Ill double check :thumbup:

If you enter the server list when the shield up top is not green you're not allowed entry in all the servers that have a grren shield at the left.

You can click the shield which files appear to cause the exclusion.

If you enter the server list when the shield up top is not green you're not allowed entry in all the servers that have a grren shield at the left.

You can click the shield which files appear to cause the exclusion.

If you have terrain mod textures installed it may still show green shield, it'll kick you after you try to connect.

I've just installed and tested your new version Mustang.

I think that it's time to you to take holidays because this version is absolutly perfect and honestly, I can hardly see what you can do better now.

Really thanks !

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1