Stuttering 2.5 oculus rift

boedha68

I had the same stuttering problem show up about 2 or 3 days after I started running 2.5 on everything maxed out. The fix was to wipe my SSD drive, reinstall windows, Do a full download of 2.5 from DCS, and new installs of Teamspeak, SRS, VoiceAttack and Tacview. Now it is smooth and gorgeous at Max settings. I think my SSD was full and completely disorganized.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Shadows are absolutely BRUTAL on the frames in VR. That seems to be the biggest performance hit out of any setting I've tweaked. If they are on the my performance graph is always -70%, but my FPS is locked at 45.

Turning them off, my graph sits around 0%, plus or minus a few depending on where I look outside and my FPS goes to between 55 and 70. And that is with most everything maxed, MSAA at 2X and Anisotropic at 16X.

It sucks because shadows really enhance the immersion factor for me. But, man, that performance tradeoff!

Ha it's funny how shadows are so important to so many people. If I woke up in a world without shadows tomorrow I probably wouldn't realize till about a month later! I'm kind of the same in VR it's just not something that bothers me but clearly I am in the minority!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Ha it's funny how shadows are so important to so many people. If I woke up in a world without shadows tomorrow I probably wouldn't realize till about a month later! I'm kind of the same in VR it's just not something that bothers me but clearly I am in the minority!

hahaha shadows are totally overrated!

I really just enjoy the shadowing in the cockpit more than anything else. But I suppose when it comes down to it, if I'm trying to spoof a SAM or get a MiG off of my tail, I'm really not caring too much about how immersive the shadowing looks :)

The Gratuitous Showing Off Part

MB: MSI Z370 GAMING M5

CPU: Intel I7-8700 3.7ghz o/c to 5.0

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 4266

HDD: Mix of SSDs (Samsung) and Standard

Video Card: MSI 1080-Ti Gaming X

O/S: Windows 10-64 bit

Controllers

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals

VR System

Oculus Rift S

• 2 months later...
i7-8700k and single or SLI 1080Ti and FPS below 30 with default VR setting or any other custom. No matter is all set to highest or lowest possible, only the visuals suffer.

Same thing with two setups. Brand new setup the newer, just for DCS.

All other games and benchmarks runs as expected. Funny thing is that 4K all maxed out gives over 180 FPS.

DCS is so weird, i'm running around 45 FPS single and 25-30 fps multi-player with close to all high settings in DCS, this is with my i7-2600 stock, not OCed and EVGA 1070oc 8g, not much difference with your recent rig vs my 6-7 years old system, so odd. EDIT: Did the NVDIA adjusment in the setupp as shown on first page of this thread, and i'm about 45 dps even in MP now... still weird some people with most recent and stronger systems are having issues.....

Edited by Doum76

I have had the same issue lately, and found out DCS.exe only ran on core 0 and 1 in the Task manager-Details-(rightclick set affinity)

What i did was leave affinity 0 and 1 for system and 2 and 3 for OVRServer_x64.exe and the rest of your cores for dcs, you have to do this manually each time, but if it works get Process Lasso to do it for you.

This also works on another flightsim i'm not gonna mention the name of here ;)

i7 7820k @4.3

EVGA 1080ti

64GB HyperX FURY DDR4

ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2

TM Warthog Hotas

TM T-Flight

Dell U3417W

Oculus Rift CV1

Audioengine a5+

Windows 10 64bit

• 3 months later...
I had the same stuttering problem show up about 2 or 3 days after I started running 2.5 on everything maxed out. The fix was to wipe my SSD drive, reinstall windows, Do a full download of 2.5 from DCS, and new installs of Teamspeak, SRS, VoiceAttack and Tacview. Now it is smooth and gorgeous at Max settings. I think my SSD was full and completely disorganized.
I also did a wipe of ssd and reinstalled everything and the performance was great for one week then back with the studers WTF. Eagle dynamics plz. Do something for us this game is awesome and I want to try new modules but at those prices for the kind of performance issues we Are all experiencing I.D.K FIX THE ISSUE

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had DCS on this PC for years and years on other PC's, never done a full wipe? I've done a few clean, repairs on updates and also cleaned out these folders so DCS rebuilds them.

C:\Users\(Your user name)\Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2

C:\Users\(Your user name)\Saved Games\DCS\fxo

DO THIS WHEN THE BETA UPDATES

DCS is not tied into windows so....No need to wipe, I keep a full copy on an external drive, copy and paste anywhere (Even multiple copies anywhere Version 1,2,3,4 etc). You only need to deactivate the modules and backup save game folder for bindings before copying DCS to a new PC etc.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

performance issues we Are all experiencing I.D.K FIX THE ISSUE

Nope, not "all of us" are experiencing performance issues. DCS runs buttery smooth for me (except for the problems that were introduced with 2.5.2 Updates 3/4/5 but those were fixed in subsequent updates), and I don't hear anyone in VNAO complaining, and quite a lot of us fly exclusively in VR.

The vast majority of stuttering can be fixed by optimising your PC, which is not ED's job, but your own:

- use the latest BIOS with proper settings;

- use the latest drivers for your hardware;

- keep your SSD(-s) properly trimmed;

- make sure every partition has at least 20% free space;

- use a programme to clean your SSD of temporary files/bloatware/... or do it manually;

- set up your page file properly, according to your PC's hardware;

- adjust the core affinity for DCS.exe;

- don't set the graphics options in DCS to unrealistic levels for your hardware;

There are plenty of guides here on the forums and on the Web in general that can be consulted.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Nope, not "all of us" are experiencing performance issues. DCS runs buttery smooth for me (except for the problems that were introduced with 2.5.2 Updates 3/4/5 but those were fixed in subsequent updates), and I don't hear anyone in VNAO complaining, and quite a lot of us fly exclusively in VR.

The vast majority of stuttering can be fixed by optimising your PC, which is not ED's job, but your own:

- use the latest BIOS with proper settings;

- use the latest drivers for your hardware;

- keep your SSD(-s) properly trimmed;

- make sure every partition has at least 20% free space;

- use a programme to clean your SSD of temporary files/bloatware/... or do it manually;

- set up your page file properly, according to your PC's hardware;

- don't set the graphics options in DCS to unrealistic levels for your hardware;

...So have you done all that and now you flying 90fps...? it does help never the less but certainly not sorting out performance!!!

As stated in numerous other threads, not 90 fps no, but a stutter-free 45+ even when flying at low altitude, with pretty decent settings. That's good enough for me, until we get Vulkan.

I know of only 1 person who has a solid 90 fps in VR, and that's with a 2nd graphics card and much lower settings than I am using. Both of which I am not willing to do.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

Lord the only time you will see 90 fps is above 10,000ft, otherwise have it locked at 45 with asw. I solved most of my problems with my new build and updating to 32 gb of ram

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Since we have the same cpu, which cores do you set in your affinity settings for DCS.exe?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I've done a few clean, repairs on updates and also cleaned out these folders so DCS rebuilds them.

C:\Users\(Your user name)\Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2

C:\Users\(Your user name)\Saved Games\DCS\fxo

DO THIS WHEN THE BETA UPDATES

This, whenever i have had stuttering post update, deleting or clearing those two folders sorted it.

As stated in numerous other threads, not 90 fps no, but a stutter-free 45+ even when flying at low altitude, with pretty decent settings. That's good enough for me, until we get Vulkan.

I know of only 1 person who has a solid 90 fps in VR, and that's with a 2nd graphics card and much lower settings than I am using. Both of which I am not willing to do.

45 it`s second best, Async creates visual distorted jelly like artifacts. Not great really. Better hardware will help but where is Vulcan and the optimisations we been promised? Little has been done in that department in the last few months and performance tends to degrade rather than increase with subsequent patches. Hope the devs are reading this forums and hope situation will improve. I am on a 1080Ti and 7700 oc at 4.9, 16 Gb DDR4

45 it`s second best, Async creates visual distorted jelly like artifacts. Not great really. Better hardware will help but where is Vulcan and the optimisations we been promised? Little has been done in that department in the last few months and performance tends to degrade rather than increase with subsequent patches. Hope the devs are reading this forums and hope situation will improve. I am on a 1080Ti and 7700 oc at 4.9, 16 Gb DDR4

So am I and DCS runs great and no artifacts on my build... 1.5 million lines of code to go through and reorganize for Vulcan can take some time (Years it's been worked on). I'm seeing benefits now in sim.

If you consider that DCS was never designed for VR from the ground up and is no tiny little app like in the VR stores, it's quite an achievement to have what we have in DCS. It would easy be the "largest" and "fastest" playable VR experience you can have these days.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Since we have the same cpu, which cores do you set in your affinity settings for DCS.exe?

All of them. I don't know if this is optimal, but it works for me.

Spoiler

All of them. I don't know if this is optimal, but it works for me.

Ok thank you.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 2 months later...