DCS World 2.5.x Terrain Texture Tiles - Page 29 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #281
Captain Orso

Pedro is right. If you copy a mod into \DCS it overwrites the original files -- they will be lost, and the only way to get them back is to do a repair.

When you then allow an update to run, all the mod files you have installed will be moved to \DCS\_BackupX .

OvGME and JSGME programs are Generic Mod Enablers, which allow you to actually manage the mods you wish to use.

Basically, when you configure a GME to manage a mod, they also manage the original installation files. So when you tell it to implement a mod consisting of for example \DCS\Mod\tech\some_files before the mod file 'some_files' is copied into \DCS the original 'some_file' is copied to a safe place, and only then is the mod file copied into \DCS .

You can later tell the GME to remove the mod, in which case the mod file(s) are removed and the original files are moved back into their original locations.

This is all done with simple clicks in the GME, and all this power and safety is absolutely free

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #282
dresoccer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Pedro= View Post
If you just copying mod files into the DCS subfolders without making a backup instead of using proper manager, you have absolutely no control especially after each update
that's true. however most mods these days go in the <user>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\ folder so updates don't affect them. but some mods still have to go in the main DCS folder, and those are affected. then during update DCS will realize those aren't supposed to be there and stick them all in the $backup folder. it works for me
Old 10-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #283
=Pedro=

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresoccer4 View Post
that's true. however most mods these days go in the <user>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\ folder so updates don't affect them. but some mods still have to go in the main DCS folder, and those are affected. then during update DCS will realize those aren't supposed to be there and stick them all in the $backup folder. it works for me
Fair enough