Engine spool-down time vs. real aircraft.

bkthunder

Since I bought the Harrier, I noticed that when chopping the power (after a vertical landing) the spool down time seems much longer than according to the many RL videos (also, there is a very distinctive whine that is completely lacking in DCS).

Reading the manual, I found this interesting bit:

2.3.1.3 Engine Fast Deceleration Solenoid

To avoid aircraft bounce on vertical landing, DECS incorporates a fast deceleration solenoid that is armed for 1 second by the weight on wheels (WOW) switch. A rapid throttle chop will activate the fast deceleration system and immediately reduce fuel flow. For aircraft with IPPC-227 incorporated, the engine fast deceleration solenoid is disabled.

So I suspect this is not included/simulated by Razbam.

I looked for what IPPC-227 is but couldn't find it, maybe Razbam can shed some light on this and confirm if / when this feature will be implemented?

Thanks,

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

IPPC-227 FDS = Interim Power Plant Change - 227 Fast Deceleration Solenoid.

I'm finding documents mentioning it as far back as 2006. I'm assuming given how long it's been since 2006 and the fact that your flight manual excerpt even mentions it that it's been implemented in the real jet.

https://www.dacis.com/budget/_budget_pdf/FY07/PROC/N/0514.pdf

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention.

It's quite a basic part of how the Harrier engine works and has a great effect on the realism of vertical landings. In fact, what I have to do now is to wait a few seconds with nozzles fully forward and brakes set until the engine spools down enough, to avoid moving forward when I touch down.

In real life, the engine spools down very quickly and the pilot can rotate the nozzles back as soon as he is safely on the ground.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I bet they are like "shit, no idea the Harrier had such a feature, let alone how to implement it...better pretend we didn't see this":P

• 1 month later...

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...