I Have Questions

DowntownSIX

I've got a bit of a WWII itch and being a Brit the Spitfire is the obvious choice. There are a few options out there to scratch said itch but I'm invested in the DCS "ecosystem" and it remains my first choice. That said, jumping into anything in DCS is expensive so I'd like to get some opinions before making the leap.

Content

Content is a bit thin on the ground in general for DCS - to get the most from the Spitfire do I need Normandy and the WWII Assets Pack or can I enjoy it on Caucasus/Nevada/Persian Gulf?

Multiplayer

It seems the introduction of the Persian Gulf map has divided the online community even further; I've been checking Burning Skies the past few days and the player count is never above single digits - is MP off the table for war birds now?

Cockpit Pilot Model

Does it have one? I've tried the search function and a manual search of this sub forum and found no mention - I'm sure there is but its a real deal breaker for me in VR.

Cheers!

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

The wwii assest pack is nice, but not strictly necessary unless you're doing ground attack.

Burning skies has been boasting low numbers as of late, but hopefully it'll pick up once the novelty of PG and the f-18 wear off a bit.

We're also going to see some new wwii modules down the pipeline, so that'll pick up wwii MP activity as well.

It does, Right-shift P to bring it up IIRC.

Perfect mate, I really appreciate the reply. I'll grab the Spitfire and learn the ropes in Caucasus and maybe pick up Normandy and the Asset Pack down the line.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I've got a bit of a WWII itch and being a Brit the Spitfire is the obvious choice. There are a few options out there to scratch said itch but I'm invested in the DCS "ecosystem" and it remains my first choice. That said, jumping into anything in DCS is expensive so I'd like to get some opinions before making the leap.

Content

Content is a bit thin on the ground in general for DCS - to get the most from the Spitfire do I need Normandy and the WWII Assets Pack or can I enjoy it on Caucasus/Nevada/Persian Gulf?

Multiplayer

It seems the introduction of the Persian Gulf map has divided the online community even further; I've been checking Burning Skies the past few days and the player count is never above single digits - is MP off the table for war birds now?

Cockpit Pilot Model

Does it have one? I've tried the search function and a manual search of this sub forum and found no mention - I'm sure there is but its a real deal breaker for me in VR.

Cheers!

“Divided the online community even further”. Options are great, but you do reach a point at which no option has enough support to draw interest. Then, people move to a different sim.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Right now, the WWII is in development.. In a couple of years it will get to where ED advertised it a few years ago. Meanwhile, we're grinding on what we have.. good and bad.

Happy flights!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

What do you mean by "Cockpit Pilot Model"? Do you mean a visible pilot while you are inside the cockpit?

You can turn the visible pilot on/off (off per default), with RShift-P, per default. It's that in the P-51 and Spitfire at any rate.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

What do you mean by "Cockpit Pilot Model"? Do you mean a visible pilot while you are inside the cockpit?

You can turn the visible pilot on/off (off per default), with RShift-P, per default. It's that in the P-51 and Spitfire at any rate.

Yep, that's what I meant. I know the key bind, it's just not all modules have a pilot model yet.

Thanks to all for the replies!