MiG 21 DCS 2.5

Shibbyland

Hi All,

Posted here to get maximum coverage from the community. I’m considering buying the MiG 21 instead of the M2000, mostly because I’m after an older fighter still capable of high speed.

I’m just a bit confused about the MiG being early access. I could be wrong but it looks like developer support for the MiG isn’t quite the same as some of the other modules. What’s left for them to do prior to full release and for those of you who’ve had the module for a while, are you confident there will be a full release?

I only play single player so getting wasted by BVR aircraft online isn’t a concern for me.

Cheers

Better head over to the MiG-21 section and have a read.

My 0.02$, don't even consider buying it. Go for the Mirage, it's in a much better state and Razbam is actively (even if slowly) adding things and fixing / updating it.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

My 0.02$, don't even consider buying it. Go for the Mirage.

For me it's the opposite since the Mirage is a modern FBW airplane it's very easy (and hence a bit boring) to fly like the F/A-18.

The MiG21 on the other hand has a lot of character and e.g. landing the MiG21 does need attention. It's more immersive IMO.

Completeness? Well, e.g. the Viggen is still not finished, the F-5 still has bugs etc. and nobody knows if the devs will complete their planes to 100% or even consider further fixing.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I find the FBW aircraft really weird in DCS. The trimming is bizarre at times, the F18 sort of wallows around at times. Have decided against the MiG, I do feel it’s one of the more interesting modules but having done a bit of reading it just doesn’t seem to have the same level of developer support that the other modules do and that’s really important in a game like DCS which is always evolving.

I fly both, find both 100% usable, and love both!!! As said by BBRZ, the Mig 21 has a lot of personality (aged cockpit, old switchology, airframe and poweeplant that will require you some care), while the M2000 is more "technical" and efficient! You can't go wrong with any....

Hi All,

Posted here to get maximum coverage from the community. I’m considering buying the MiG 21 instead of the M2000, mostly because I’m after an older fighter still capable of high speed.

I’m just a bit confused about the MiG being early access. I could be wrong but it looks like developer support for the MiG isn’t quite the same as some of the other modules. What’s left for them to do prior to full release and for those of you who’ve had the module for a while, are you confident there will be a full release?

I only play single player so getting wasted by BVR aircraft online isn’t a concern for me.

Cheers

I can't believe the MiG is marked as early access! I believe it was the first 3rd party module released...

I have both the MiG-21 and the M2K. The MiG is the only module I wish I'd never bought. As bkthunder suggested, maybe you should go to the subforum, and I suggest you check out the bug tracker to get some idea of the features that aren't as they should be. Even though this bird is marked as early access I wouldn't expect features to be added to it.

By contrast the M2K is probably my favorite module, but the aspects I love might make you dislike it. The Mirage can feel like a very modern plane (I think someone said it's supposed to be circa 1987) with its full HUD, INS navigation, autopilot designed to minimize pilot workload, modernish radar and BVR capability - to me that's a good thing, but if you're looking for an older fighter it might not be right for you.

If you're looking for a fun fighter with speed to burn and you're happy enough to learn and apply its modern systems, I'd definitely suggest you go with the Mirage. If you are more inclined to go for something older, before you buy the MiG I'd suggest you take a look at the

F-5 Tiger II. In the little time I've spent flying it I haven't had the same impression of speed that I did in the MiG, but it's a beautifully simulated contemporary of the MiG 21 that was used to imitate it in Red Flag exercises. If you do want to go for the MiG-21 it's probably worth taking a look at the subforum so you're going into it knowing what to expect.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

For me it's the opposite since the Mirage is a modern FBW airplane it's very easy (and hence a bit boring) to fly like the F/A-18.

The MiG21 on the other hand has a lot of character and e.g. landing the MiG21 does need attention. It's more immersive IMO.

Completeness? Well, e.g. the Viggen is still not finished, the F-5 still has bugs etc. and nobody knows if the devs will complete their planes to 100% or even consider further fixing.

Buy Mig-15bis;)

MiG 21 DCS 2.5

In my humble opinion the MiG-21 is one of the finest and most beautiful modules you could get for DCS.

I do have both modules as well, but that vintage analogue rocket is just rock & roll and gives me kicks!

In therms of visual art and fidelity the MiG is still the benchmark for me. It’s just a beautifully made module with a fantastic attention to detail. The Viggen and Hornet came pretty close to it and I am looking forward to seeing the new Tomcat.

Flying this interceptor from the 60s is enormous fun and I find that just navigation around the map, starting and landing are as much enjoyable as it can get. The fidelity of the FM is great and it gives me the impression of actually feeling the aircraft while flying.

Choosing between the MIG and the Mirage to me is more of a question of what you want to do. Modern MultiRole vs old Interceptor/Fighter.

In any case you can enjoy both!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check out my channel

So strange to hear people complaining about the MiG21, it's just about the only aircraft i fly. Reasons why?

It's non FBW, which means it feels good to fly.

It's got character, gentle on the controls, exciting landing, getting performance out of the aircraft requires skill and experience and that is satisfying.

It's capable if flown properly.

If FBW and active missiles is your thing, it's not for you. If flying and fightin is your thing then get it, it's beautiful.

Not sure about the Mirage it's been a long time since i flew it, but it used to have a pretty bad flight model, and that sucks the fun out of it. Not sure if Razbam have fixed it, or if they are capable of the high quality fm Dcs is known for. It left a bad taste in my mouth and i still need to be convinced they are capable of a quality fm.

MiG 15 is cool but it's really not what I'm looking for. It's as above, the reason I'm interested in the MiG 21 is that it's got that old school feel but still has missiles and a basic RADAR so even though it's hard, it's still possible to take on the modern aircraft. I think I'll wait for a sale, the full price is too much for something with mixed reviews. As I say, its between the MiG and the M2000 as they both interest me for different reasons, but I've got the F/A 18 and I don't see the M2000 offering anything I can't already get from the Hornet.

The Tomcat supposedly isn't too far away and I know I'm getting that.

Between the MiG-21 and the Mirage 2000 (I have both) I would go for the MiG hands down. Especially if you have the Hornet already.

The MiG-21 is unique in the combination of old fashioned technology with serious capability. Although I don't have the F-5 (yet).

There are some issues with the present MiG-21 module (mainly due to DCS itself constantly evolving, I think) and support by the devs has maybe not been that fantastic lately but don't let that distract you too much: the MiG-21 is absolutely flyable and enjoyable at this point.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Hi All,

Cheers

I have all the modules. Of all of them, only two have a special appeal, namely the Black Shark and the Mig 21. One goes slow and low, the other is exactly the opposite! You will not go faster or higher in anything else, the Mig 21 is very fast! Both are lethal in the right hands.

Only the Mig 21 has that feeling that your in the aircraft to either kill or be killed. You can die just as easily by bad piloting as you can by "enemy" ordinance.

Its a real pilots machine. It's unforgiving, with no FBW to help. Try yank and bank in this aircraft and it will bite you! Forget all the PC stuff, this is a man's aircraft!:smilewink:

In the latest DCS 2.5.3 release version, it's an almost perfect aircraft sim. Earlier DCS World versions had a few bugs, but in the latest DCS the Mig 21 shines. I love it, because it commands respect and requires skill and expertise to fly and fight in it. Every flight's conclusion leaves you with a memory!

Finally, you can do CAS in it. This baby will be in and out of the FEBA before the enemy has time to jump in their foxholes!

Happy days!:thumbup:

Edited by Accipiter
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I had to make a difficult choice of what module to get with my budget, and I really chose correctly with the MiG 21! It's the kind of aircraft that can punch pretty well above its weight class, so long as you aircraft duel honorably and not just get wiped from existence by an AIM-120. The variety of load-outs allow for you to be a truly multirole little rocketship. From UPK gunpods that just copy your own internal cannon can give you double the ammunition onboard, to unguided rockets and bombs. obviously you sacrifice a lot of manuverability and speed for everything strapped to your pylons, but it's great doing both.

Don't get me wrong, it's a tricky aircraft to use, despite how simple the aircraft's systems are to begin with. You will die a LOT while trying to land, and the Direction Finding radio compass will be quite a pain in the butt. Not to mention, get ready for accidental flameouts, wing stalls, and other shennanigans.

I'd say, go for it! Be the supersonic pile of rivets you always wanted to be!

All the people who like the MiG seem to like it for exactly the reasons I want it haha. All the people who say don’t buy it, say so for the exact reasons I’m being cautious. I’ll likely see what the tomcat announcement is and go from there. I don’t play much multiplayer, what’s the campaign for the MiG like?

The campaign is bugged on my side at least mission 1 and 2 are in the wrong order but someone did an update for the campaign in the user files. Sadly there are not many missions out there for the mig21. The worst bug for me are the behavior of the missiles since a couple of updates, u can't really use anything except for the r60s. I really hope some things get sorted because the mig21 is also my favorite module so far and it's a long wait for the mig19, mig23 and f4e.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

You can still use them but they are not performing as well as they should. There is a thread somewhere in the bug section. But i have to say that i didn't tried them since the last 2 or 3 updates. I am always on the open beta if something gets improved on one of the modules i am flying at the moment. But for me it seems that the R13M doesn't have quite the range it should have. But most of my experience is from multiplayer. I still get a lot of joy out of the module don't get me wrong here, its just a bit boring over time when u have 4 stores and use it only for the same missile type. I would like to sneak up on a an enemy which is flying straight and down it with an r13m from a greater distance. It's a bit annoying when u have to crawl up on 2km so that your r60 will hit :)

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

All the people who like the MiG seem to like it for exactly the reasons I want it haha. All the people who say don’t buy it, say so for the exact reasons I’m being cautious. I’ll likely see what the tomcat announcement is and go from there. I don’t play much multiplayer, what’s the campaign for the MiG like?

That's because these people are talking about two completely different things. The people that say don't buy it are doing so because the module is flawed and simply not a study sim.

Other people love it because "it's great fun" or "it's not fly-by-wire and the textures are nice, YAY!" Ace Combat is great fun too you know?

Try before you buy makes all the sense in the world to me, especially when a single module is now more expensive than a full flight-sim used to be.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

What is it you've seen in the module which makes it not a study sim? I've watched a lot of the videos available and although that doesn't give you a feel for it, it seemed like the aircraft had plenty of systems implemented. I wouldn't expect it to have quite the detail of the A10 or F18 because it's just a much more basic aircraft by comparison. You'd kind of hope with the age of the aircraft they'd have more resources available to them to better model systems but I've never owned a module from these developers so I'm not sure what to expect from them.

As for the handling of the aircraft, having never flown a MiG 21 I wouldn't have a clue about whether that's accurate or not. I'm a reasonably judge of what does and doesn't feel right in flight sims in a more generic sense but I'd be surprised if they've made this aircraft a complete fantasy machine.

From all the responses I've had on this post here's my understanding.

-The MiG is fun

-It fits that slot between the warbirds and the modern jets

-It's got a different feel to it than the other aircraft in terms of flight, engine management and take off or landing.

-It's not well supported in comparison to other modules

-It's missiles are a bit rubbish

-It's been in early access for four years...not a good sign.

People seem to be saying the module is pretty good but it has some bugs and the developers aren't so quick to get rid of them.

Would love to know what aspects of the module itself you don't like. What modules do you see as study sims?

It's as you say, these modules are so expensive and you can't try them out before you buy so I like to see what other people think. It's not like a steam game where you can just get a refund and the exchange rate at the moment is terrible where I'm at so I'd hate to spend all that money and go oh yea this one does suck I'll never play it.

What is it you've seen in the module which makes it not a study sim?

A small list, not that I am not already repeating what was written again and again:

-ASP completly different in behaviour than the real world, including arcade style CCIP mode for bombing

-SPO-10 not giving direction on lock, as opposed to the real thing

-All missiles except the R-60 and R-60M are broken and not just underperforming as you say

-Hard coded 2G limit in stall condition

-NPP broken

-DA-200 broken

-Jammer broken

So if half of the procedures described in the real world manual are just not working, because systems are either broken or modelled incorrectly, then yes, this is not a study sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well that’s pretty much exactly what I was asking and I don’t think anybody has explicitly mentioned that number of systems being incorrect or broken. There’s been one mention of missiles underperforming and some direction to go to the sub forums for bugs but they are either outdated or branch off into leathernecks own bug reporting forum and I don’t know about everybody else but I certainly don’t have the time or inclination to trawl through all that. Easier to ask those who have the module to clarify the scattered information available especially if they’ve had the module throughout its development.