Reporting results of 1070 upgrade

My specs below , for interpretation of results . Nothing in this post is meant as gospel , i am merely reporting test observations on my system .

Let me begin by saying that i was fairly happy with the performance of my previous 3gb 1060 . Flying solo in the Caucasus , i was able to maintain Vsync (so important to Tir) everywhere and at any altitude and maneuver state , with only very minimal concessions to eye candy . As i spend 95% of my VFR time very low , the only problem I had with the graphics was the constant flickering/shimmering , which drove me crazy ! When considering upgrades , at @headwarp's suggestion , i downloaded Afterburner to get good data . I had ass-umed that it would only work for MSI cards . Wrong again ! The tests showed that while the 1060 was doing as i wished , it had no headroom at all , with the GPU showing continuously at 97-98 % . It was also using some of my ram for video sharing .

Following the installation of the 1070 , i ran very extensive tests to max the graphics while keeping Vsync unbreakable . I am now running the same settings as i did the 1060 , with one major difference . I now have SSAA set at 1.5 , in addition to 2x MSAA . This did away with 90% of the shimmers ! I was also able to extend the grass/clutter distance , and enable default instead of flat ground shadows , although this last i had to revert as I saw this weird ghostly straight lateral line running on the ground a few hundred yards ahead of the aircraft as i looked out 10-20 ° .

In addition , I now have about 35-40% gpu headroom , and I'm no longer using ram for video sharing . In fact , i have 50% vram headroom , as well as 50% CPU headroom . So I'm quite happy with the upgrade . Finally , these tests confirmed what i had earlier found with the 1060 - that contrary to what some have said , Nvidea Control Panel settings have no effect whatsoever on DCS - with the possible exception of performance vs temperature .

Oh yes , one other thing I am having a really hard time rationalising . When low (as always) and banking , when i look at the ground , there is a very-much-increased sensation of flight-enough to raise my heartrate ! Strange but true .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Glad to hear, I'm planning also one last upgrage for my old system before going to i9-9900k era. Just got 32Gb ram and next step is to replace 970 -> 1070TI. I think my CPU will be bottlenecking but I hope some improvement!

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Good luck ! By the way , if you have to reroute a cable to accommodate the new card , be sure to check for a ram module displacement next to where you unplugged the cable . Ask me how I know this :)

For my part , a 7700k and another 16 gig of ram will max the potential of this 'puter , and hopefully get me within VR range .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Interesting, I was browsing around my local online shop here and found MSI GTX 1070 ti Armor for US$ 330. It only been used (not for mining according to the seller) for 4 months and still has 2 year warranty periode. Do you guys think its a good deal?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Youtuber "Tech Deals" compared 7 1070's , and did not recommend the Armour . Ebay has listed several new 1070's at $350 or less the past few weeks . I took a chance (after exercising all due diligence) and bought one new from a reseller on Ebay (VIP Outlet) for $310 . Glad i did.

Edited by Svsmokey

In my country price for a new GTX 1070 ti roughly around US$ 480 due to shipping cost and vat. But I get your point. I'm still not sure want to upgrade because my 1060 quite good for 1080p.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

The 1060 is an unsung hero . It is really all one needs for 1080p , especially the 6gb version . That Ti price is not too far off the US median of $450 . Maybe VAT is not as bad as I've been led to believe !

Edited by Svsmokey

I'll wait the Black Friday next week, maybe we'll see good discounts :thumbup:

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Saw one yesterday in germany, Media Markt, for 440,-€, 1070ti

The Zotac 1080ti was roughly 800€

still a bit steep

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

At the time i bought the PC , DCS was 1.5 . Everything has changed since then . So more memory , graphics upgrade , DCS on SSD . Will also upgrade CPU and add even more memory in the future ,

But first , i'm thinking of a cockpit upgrade . Mine is the world's ugliest ! Hose clamps holding shelf brackets for the stick on some kinda weird table i can't even identify , raw wood tacked on to the other side for a trackball mount , and the keyboard emplaced via literally duct tape and bailing wire ! None too comfortable , either .

Thinking of a Volair or a Monstertech full pit , suggestions welcome .

Almost called a fish slap , but thought "maybe he is commiserating..."

Edited by Svsmokey

I recently spent 2 weeks, using a mission with the Harrier, trying to track down an intermittent fault in my GTX 970, which kept crashing to a black screen (with sound). The fault turned out to be nothing to do with the card (it was perfectly OK), but I had already bought an EGVA GTX 1070 to replace it, so a comparison using the same mission, was now available.

Default high settings plus 1.5 SSAA. Vert sync fast. Kutaisi/Kvitiri. Attack ground targets and helos in mountains, return for vert landing.

On runway. 970 - 30 fps. 1070 - 74 fps. GPU 100%.

Over target 40 fps 70 fps

At height 70 fps 120 fps

The 1070 registered 6890 Vram 6050 RAM 17900 page file. No stuttering.

The 970 was always on the ceiling with both.

The 970 was perfectly OK for my single missions, but the 1070 is clearly more capable and I'm very pleased with it.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Good to hear !

• 2 weeks later...
My specs below , for interpretation of results . Nothing in this post is meant as gospel , i am merely reporting test observations on my system .

Let me begin by saying that i was fairly happy with the performance of my previous 3gb 1060 . Flying solo in the Caucasus , i was able to maintain Vsync (so important to Tir) everywhere and at any altitude and maneuver state , with only very minimal concessions to eye candy . As i spend 95% of my VFR time very low , the only problem I had with the graphics was the constant flickering/shimmering , which drove me crazy ! When considering upgrades , at @headwarp's suggestion , i downloaded Afterburner to get good data . I had ass-umed that it would only work for MSI cards . Wrong again ! The tests showed that while the 1060 was doing as i wished , it had no headroom at all , with the GPU showing continuously at 97-98 % . It was also using some of my ram for video sharing .

Following the installation of the 1070 , i ran very extensive tests to max the graphics while keeping Vsync unbreakable . I am now running the same settings as i did the 1060 , with one major difference . I now have SSAA set at 1.5 , in addition to 2x MSAA . This did away with 90% of the shimmers ! I was also able to extend the grass/clutter distance , and enable default instead of flat ground shadows , although this last i had to revert as I saw this weird ghostly straight lateral line running on the ground a few hundred yards ahead of the aircraft as i looked out 10-20 ° .

In addition , I now have about 35-40% gpu headroom , and I'm no longer using ram for video sharing . In fact , i have 50% vram headroom , as well as 50% CPU headroom . So I'm quite happy with the upgrade . Finally , these tests confirmed what i had earlier found with the 1060 - that contrary to what some have said , Nvidea Control Panel settings have no effect whatsoever on DCS - with the possible exception of performance vs temperature .

Oh yes , one other thing I am having a really hard time rationalising . When low (as always) and banking , when i look at the ground , there is a very-much-increased sensation of flight-enough to raise my heartrate ! Strange but true .

Very good info:thumbup:, thanks for sharing !