CF-105 Avro "Arrow"

SC86

I know the Avro Arrow never made it into service, it was cancelled by the Canadian government due to costs and useless Bomarc missles, but it would be awesome to see it in this game. There could be some fictional campaigns and such. The specifications for this plane were monstrous for the era, some say it could have outclassed some 4th generation fighters/interceptors in some areas.

Here is a video documentary on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sFRiacvNYo&t=2433s

First Flight:

Though a Yank , i have to say that what happened to the Arrow was a most unsavory debacle . Not only the program ending on such false premises , and the destruction of all airframes in a fit of pique , but the dissolution of a great company , and the ensuing loss of talent to the nation , will forever leave a foul taste in the mouth of anyone who is aware of the history .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Though a Yank , i have to say that what happened to the Arrow was a most unsavory debacle . Not only the program ending on such false premises , and the destruction of all air frames in a fit of pique , but the dissolution of a great company , and the ensuing loss of talent to the nation , will forever leave a foul taste in the mouth of anyone who is aware of the history .

even as a cancuk,

i think the arrow was overrated. Basically what Canada would have gotten would be a radarless, over-sized F102 delta dart, with the craptastic Aim4 Falcon missile, but 4 years later and at 2-3 times the projected cost ( if it entered service) most fellow Canadians let patriotism cloud rational analysis. Whilst it did have some innovative designs from its inception It would have been obsolete if it entered service in 1959 of the year it was cancelled.

The real hurt of the cancellation of the arrow was not the loss of some Legendary would be plane, but the brain drain of Canada's Defense Aerospace industry, and thus being reliant on the US for military aviation.

Immediately this following opinion is in hindsight ; given Canada relatively meager Defense Budget for a 1st world Nato member, The sort of plane that canadian industry should have designed an in house inexpensive lightweight tactical fighter akin to the Northrop F-5. And if said industry Did exit today I could certainly see that eventually gravitate to building fighters like Swedish Gripen for that very reason.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

It is difficult to asess the caapabilities of an aircraft in such an early state of development , but we certainly do agree about the loss of aerospace talent to the nation .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Anyone seen this guys proposition for a fifth gen arrow? I heard somewhere he got shot down and RCAF are gonna stick with Hornets for now

https://youtu.be/aP5ElnvhIm0

Of course it got shot down.

It would be impractical from both financial and technological perspective to entirely from scratch to produce airframe that was based on design philosophies that existed during the 1950s, even if you could refit it with modern avionics and weapons systems.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Anyone seen this guys proposition for a fifth gen arrow? I heard somewhere he got shot down and RCAF are gonna stick with Hornets for now

https://youtu.be/aP5ElnvhIm0

Please, just... ... just don't.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

• 6 months later...

I agree with the first part of the answer, that it would have been late, crappy missiles and radar (though if they kept going with development they could have adopted radar and better missiles. I wish I knew more about it's maneuverability, though being a 1950 Delta-ish shape I think it would have been fairly bad, also due to interceptor role.

But building an F-5 style plane I think would have been too small, not incapable, but it wouldn't have the reach cross country or out to sea, especially with some of the planes the Russians were building. Something a bit bigger and with more range I think would have been better. Even if it was just a larger F-5 with more capable engines and fuel and weight capacity.

I have seen that video many times, I think it is ambitious to build that style of 5th gen aircraft as a restart for Canada's military aviation. I'm not sure we need stealth like is seen on many of the modern aircraft. I think due to the roles we often play, guessing that we aren't usually the first air force in the combat zone. maybe the F-117, F-22, F35, B2, would be in there first. We may be able to get away with a 4th gen style body with better maneuverability and higher rated engines. but maybe I'm wrong. I think the Russians have stopped building their Su-57, though other countries are now coming out with stealthy aircraft. who knows, not I.

Though a Yank , i have to say that what happened to the Arrow was a most unsavory debacle . Not only the program ending on such false premises , and the destruction of all airframes in a fit of pique , but the dissolution of a great company , and the ensuing loss of talent to the nation , will forever leave a foul taste in the mouth of anyone who is aware of the history .

My sentiments exactly. Glad to hear good words from south of the border.

Cheers

Rotor57

My Rig; Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5_32GB RAM_GTX 1080 _X55 Rhino Throttle_TM_Warthog Flight Stick_TM Pedals_28" 4K Eyeball Bleeding Monitor::doh:

Take off is optional, landing is not::pilotfly:

FC3; CA; NTTR; P51; Spitfire; F86F; Mig15; F5; KA-50; AJS 37 Viggen; UH-1H; F18C; A10-C;M2000;AV8B-N/A;Christen Eagle;

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

No doubt that the Arrow would be an interesting aircraft to fly in DCS if it were possible. I say if it were possible because in order to make any high fidelity module for DCS all of the flight data would be required. Which unfortunately all the documentation and data was destroyed when the project was shut down.