1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

Okay, guys, thanks a whole lot! I understand now. If I understand the picture with the original post correctly, my 1.5 won't auto update, I'll get an option?

If you're interested in running 2.5 open beta you should be able to update 1.5 stable to 1.5 open beta - and then obviously to 2.5 OB when it comes out. Search on the forum how to do this but IIRC it takes as much as running the updater with approporiate args.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're interested in running 2.5 open beta you should be able to update 1.5 stable to 1.5 open beta - and then obviously to 2.5 OB when it comes out. Search on the forum how to do this but IIRC it takes as much as running the updater with approporiate args.

Yes, the full command is: DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

See here for more info: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

No need. You will be prompted to keep 1.5.8 or not when installing 2.5 stable. If you do, a new folder DCS_1.5 (or similar) will be created in your save games and all old content of DCS will be moved there while DCS folder will be for 2.5. And your 1.5.8 will stay.

Better again... so it's even simpler... a transiction to DCS 2.5 well done.. :thumbup:

Just one more thing.. I planned to change my SSD HD and have a 512 SSD dedicated to DCS World 2.5 and future versions.

Which is the better way to upgrade to 2.5 version and at the same time change the HD?

Can You or others tell the right "check list" of procedures to do this simultaneous change?

1) It's better first to update to DCS 2.5 staying in the same HD and than, when finished, move the new DCS 2.5 folder to the new HD

2) or Move the version 1.5.8. and 2.2 to the new HD before and then do the upgrade to the DCS World 2.5?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

Better again... so it's even simpler... a transiction to DCS 2.5 well done.. :thumbup:

Just one more thing.. I planned to change my SSD HD and have a 512 SSD dedicated to DCS World 2.5 and future versions.

Which is the better way to upgrade to 2.5 version and at the same time change the HD?

Can You or others tell the right "check list" of procedures to do this simultaneous change?

1) It's better first to update to DCS 2.5 staying in the same HD and than, when finished, move the new DCS 2.5 folder to the new HD

2) or Move the version 1.5.8. and 2.2 to the new HD before and then do the upgrade to the DCS World 2.5?

3) Keep everything as it is and use the seperate installer to install 2.5 to the new SSD. The installer will make use of the 2.2 installation to reduce download size.

If you manually move a version to a different partition or drive you need to make manual adjustments in the windows registry to define where DCS is installed:

Just in case, the updater seeks for the installed versions in the registry, the paths are expected to be in:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha"

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World OpenBeta"

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World"

string value "Path".

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

3) Keep everything as it is and use the seperate installer to install 2.5 to the new SSD. The installer will make use of the 2.2 installation to reduce download size.

If you manually move a version to a different partition or drive you need to make manual adjustments in the windows registry to define where DCS is installed:

Option 3... wonderfull.. You have been quick to response as a AGM-88... :thumbup:

So for example if I have the global ED folder with inside DCS 1.5.8, DCS 1.5.8. Beta and DCS 2.2.0 Alpha in HD "D" (old HD) I have to use the installer of DCS 2.5 in the new HD (for example "E") and it will create a new ED folder in this new HD with inside the DCS 2.5 at the same time it will copy the data of DCS 2.2.0 to avoid too much download... it's correct? Done this I can delete the old ED folder in HD "D" I imagine..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

Option 3... wonderfull.. You have been quick to response as a AGM-88... :thumbup:

So for example if I have the global ED folder with inside DCS 1.5.8, DCS 1.5.8. Beta and DCS 2.2.0 Alpha in HD "D" (old HD) I have to use the installer of DCS 2.5 in the new HD (for example "E") and it will create a new ED folder in this new HD with inside the DCS 2.5 at the same time it will copy the data of DCS 2.2.0 to avoid too much download... it's correct? Done this I can delete the old ED folder in HD "D" I imagine..

Yes, that's how it should work. But didn't you say you will get a SSD (Solid State Drive)? Because that's something different than a HDD (Hard Disk Drive), which you are talking about now.

Tornado3 small.jpg

That should work in theory, although reverting can cause issues in practice (especially if there is such a big difference between the versions). I would rather recommend to make a fresh installation of 1.5 Stable and just remove 2.2.

Another alternative would be to switch from 1.5 OB to 1.5 Stable and then use the seperate installer to install 2.5, using the the existing files from 2.2.

Edit:

Use this command to revert:

I would use the installer as described but it doesn't sound like the installer will be available on release of 2.5 unless I have that wrong?

Why would there be problems in reverting from 2.2 to 1.5? Doesn't DCS verify all files?I would need to rename my saved games dcs folder.

Yes, that's how it should work. But didn't you say you will get a SSD (Solid State Drive)? Because that's something different than a HDD (Hard Disk Drive), which you are talking about now.

My writing error .. I mean that now I have DCS World in a standard HD because my current SSD does not have enough space.

So, since DCS World is my favorite "world", I will get a very fast SSD M2, so I will get the best out of this wonderful DCS World. :joystick:

You have been very precious with your information.. thank you very much.. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would use the installer as described but it doesn't sound like the installer will be available on release of 2.5 unless I have that wrong?

Why would there be problems in reverting from 2.2 to 1.5? Doesn't DCS verify all files?I would need to rename my saved games dcs folder.

Yes, the files wouldn't be a problem, but there will be different settings available in DCS 1.5 than there are in 2.5 (graphic, controls, ...) and as they are stored in the saved games folder they might cause troubles then. So yes, the saved games folder of DCS should be deleted or at least renamed to avoid such problems.

My writing error .. I mean that now I have DCS World in a standard HD because my current SSD does not have enough space.

So, since DCS World is my favorite "world", I will get a very fast SSD M2, so I will get the best out of this wonderful DCS World. :joystick:

You have been very precious with your information.. thank you very much.. :smilewink:

Alright, I'm glad I could help. I'm also running DCS on a M2 SSD and it works great :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

i want to do clean install of 2.5 stable in release date because i never installed open beta of dcs. but i have some questions.

if i uninstall dcs (1.5.8 ) from control panel and after that delete the main dcs installation folder (in C/program files), then will this remove activation of modules after install the 2.5 version? since their files are in registry

and will 2.5 come with new system of activation for all modules?

Others, *please* speak up if what I say here isn't right...

FlankerMan, if you don't want three installations at once I suggest you follow the steps below. Please note that these steps involve downloading the game twice because that is the only way you can get 2.5 asap without using elevated command prompt commands. If you'd rather wait for the game and just download it once say so and I'll modify these instructions.

1. Keep checkingthis page for a DCS World 2.5 open beta installer from 1 February. When it is available, download it.

2. Go to Steam, right click on DCS World and select "Uninstall", the second last option.

3. Run the 2.5 open beta installer, this will download of the game so it may take some time (for me it will probably take two days ).

4. When the install is complete, launch the game and confirm that you have your Su-27 and the NTTR map available. If the game asks to download these let it do so, it shouldn't be a large download. When you have confirmed that NTTR and the Su-27 are available proceed to step 5.

5. Uninstall DCS World 2.2. Start checking this page again from 08 February for a DCS World 2.5 installer that does *not* say "open beta" - please be careful with this. Once it is available download and run the installer.

6. Launch DCS World 2.5 - again, not the open beta - and check you have access to your

Su-27 and NTTR. Once you have access to those you can delete DCS World 2.5 open beta.

Hi if I understand from 1 february is ready 2.5 beta version and from 8 february is ready 2.5 stable version, I have on my pc only the 2.2 open beta then I can wait for 8 february and update to 2.5 stalbe version directly then bypass the 2.5 beta version?

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

This is simply information overload

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

^^^^^:megalol::music_whistling::thumbup::smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

DCS is trying to make the upgrade path simple but life does make it harder. My current situation is that I have 1.58 stable on a regular HD and 2.2 alpha on an SSD drive that has only 48GB free of 111GB. I have nothing on the SSD drive except for 2.2.

I want to end up with 1.5.8 Final on my regular HD and 2.5 final on my SSD drive.

I don't think there will be enough room on my SSD drive to have both 2.5 and 2.2 installed before 2.5 deletes 2.2 (i assume that the deletion will not occur until 2.5 is fully installed), so my solution is either to buy a bigger SSD drive or delete the Nevada terrain from 2.2, then install 2.5, let it delete 2.2 and then reinstall the Nevada terrain. Even with the method, I am not sure my SSD is big enough for both Nevada and the new Caucasus terrain. Comments?

My other question is that I want my existing 1.58 stable to go to1.58 final on my regular HD, but not install 2.5 on that drive, but on my SSD drive. Hopefully, I will be given that option.

For some unknown reason, my wife refuses to discuss these important issues.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I think I'm going to go the start from from scratch route..

Delete everything and start fresh. That way, if something goes wrong like the game not responding or something, I'll know it's not because of something that got copied over. I'll just keep my logbook and Hotas / rudder pedal configs.

Longer DL time is of no consequence to me if I can get a running program.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

Myself I'm gonna try to to use the mklink functions to make the PC think that 1.5 and 2.2 are installed in the SSD folders while they're actually on the HDD, and hopefully then it will still be smart enough to copy the files over for the 2.5 SSD installation.

Since it overwrites 1.5 it might end up installing in the linked HDD location, but that's easy enough to move to the SSD once it's complete.

Even with the method, I am not sure my SSD is big enough for both Nevada and the new Caucasus terrain. Comments?

Depending on vague estimation from BigNewy, or more detailed one in other part of the forum from Chizh, 2.5 with everything installed will take bewteen 100-ish and 113 GB (don't know if they count official campaigns or not), so even if you don't own all modules, you'll be running out of space (mind you, SSDs don't like to be stuffed full, for performance and longetivity reasons).

Edit - ah, you don't own Normandy? That's minus 9 gigs then. Still not much space saved.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Depending on vague estimation from BigNewy, or more detailed one in other part of the forum from Chizh, 2.5 with everything installed will take bewteen 100-ish and 113 GB (don't know if they count official campaigns or not), so even if you don't own all modules, you'll be running out of space (mind you, SSDs don't like to be stuffed full, for performance and longetivity reasons).
What about 2.5 with just caucasus and nevada plus mirage and huey?

Will that be below 100gb?

Enviado desde mi Moto Z Play mediante Tapatalk

You always get an option, where you are asked if you want to update or not. For every update. That's how it always was. It never just updates without asking.

Um, actually, that's true for my Standalone (2.2), but my Steam 1.5.8 stable (not OB) auto-updates. I can't even turn the auto-update on, I can just switch it to updating sooner than everybody else, or to updating only when I turn DCS on (which would at least stall it until I want to play 1.5). Please correct me if I'm wrong, it could be that for this much of a transition it'll ask me.

To make it super-duper clear, I don't have the OB, I don't really care about the OB, I just want the stable release version, and I want it for Standalone, even though my 1.5 is Steam.

The 2.2.0 Open Alpha and 1.5.8 Release will remain at this stage so you can continue to play online with those still using 1.5.8 or 1.2.2.

Did you mean 2.2?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Um, actually, that's true for my Standalone (2.2), but my Steam 1.5.8 stable (not OB) auto-updates. I can't even turn the auto-update on, I can just switch it to updating sooner than everybody else, or to updating only when I turn DCS on (which would at least stall it until I want to play 1.5). Please correct me if I'm wrong, it could be that for this much of a transition it'll ask me.

To make it super-duper clear, I don't have the OB, I don't really care about the OB, I just want the stable release version, and I want it for Standalone, even though my 1.5 is Steam.

I was talking about the non-steam version. Steam does indeed auto update all its games.

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's all good man, same goes, just uninstall your Steam installation, download and install 2.5 stable (*not* the open beta) when it becomes available and you can then delete your 2.2 installation.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Sobe ,Brother I'm in the very same boat on all accounts! I'm just hope'n for the best..:thumbup::megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: