Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

Yes but there will still be something after them. My guess is a Japanese rival for the corsair.

True, and a japanese rival is likely. Hasn't Rudel posted a very close up picture of the engine of a Zero or was that something else?

And thanks for bringing this thread back on actual speculation on what might be a future LNS aircraft based on facts we know so far. Not like all the wishlist guys who hijack this thread to just post their wishes.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Zero as Opponent for F-4U Corsair? doesnt want to sit in a Zero and hope the Corsair Pilot is bad enough to go in turn fight. More valid good looking Plane would be J2M Raiden with his Mitsubishi Kasei Engine with 1850 HP, compare with A6M5 Zero with 1100 HP against 2000 HP Double Wasp :(

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

This is not a wishlist thread. It is a speculation thread.

#learnthedifference

Thank you

speculation

ˌspɛkjʊˈleɪʃn/

noun

noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations

1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"
    synonyms:conjecture, theorizing, hypothesizing, supposition, guesswork; Moretalk;
    theory, hypothesis, thesis, postulation, guess, surmise, opinion, notion;
    prediction, forecast;
    informalguesstimate
    "his resignation fuelled speculation of an imminent cabinet reshuffle"

To be pedantic...

Speculation requires some basis but not necessarily evidence. The basis of many speculative posts here has become "what could we possibly be getting some time in the future?".

The problem with this thread is not "speculation or not". The OP asked a specific question about the MiG25. All other aircraft speculations are therefore way off topic.

But who cares? It passes the time.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

speculation

ˌspɛkjʊˈleɪʃn/

noun

noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations

1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"
    synonyms:conjecture, theorizing, hypothesizing, supposition, guesswork; Moretalk;
    theory, hypothesis, thesis, postulation, guess, surmise, opinion, notion;
    prediction, forecast;
    informalguesstimate
    "his resignation fuelled speculation of an imminent cabinet reshuffle"

To be pedantic...

Speculation requires some basis but not necessarily evidence. The basis of many speculative posts here has become "what could we possibly be getting some time in the future?".

The problem with this thread is not "speculation or not". The OP asked a specific question about the MiG25. All other aircraft speculations are therefore way off topic.

But who cares? It passes the time.

Your're right when you refer to the OP. The thread is so old, that I've totally forgotten about the OP. I only keep seeing the topic "Next aircraft speculation" all the time.

Anyways, stating "I want this and that" is still wishing and not speculating :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

This Picture hard to tell but hey could be realy also a Radial Engine from the J2M Raiden anway looking foward also to each WW2 Modul we get also Wildcat from VEAO should be perfect match up for the Zero

25333995296_fbd9e6be06_o.jpg

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Think I remember seeing a hellcat in the background of their website, maybe I saw it somewhere else but I think it was Leathnecks site.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Think I remember seeing a hellcat in the background of their website, maybe I saw it somewhere else but I think it was Leathnecks site.

Yes, it was. But IIRC they confirmed that it has nothing to do with their developments.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, it was. But IIRC they confirmed that it has nothing to do with their developments.

Ok, that's a shame.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 2 weeks later...
...also Wildcat from VEAO should be perfect match up for the Zero

That very much depends on the versions of each plane we get. If LNS are working on a Zero, I would assume it would be facing the F4U-1D which, to be anywhere close to being competitive would mean it would have to be an A6M5 or A6M7. The early war A6M2 will be lambs to the slaughter against the likes of a Corsair so a F4F-3 or F4F-4 Wildcat would be a competitive opponent for the early version of the Zero but will be outclassed by the likes of an A6M5. Similarly, if we get a FM-2 Wildcat, it should eat an A6M2 for lunch and go back for seconds when flown by similarly skilled pilots.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

That very much depends on the versions of each plane we get. If LNS are working on a Zero, I would assume it would be facing the F4U-1D which, to be anywhere close to being competitive would mean it would have to be an A6M5 or A6M7. The early war A6M2 will be lambs to the slaughter against the likes of a Corsair so a F4F-3 or F4F-4 Wildcat would be a competitive opponent for the early version of the Zero but will be outclassed by the likes of an A6M5. Similarly, if we get a FM-2 Wildcat, it should eat an A6M2 for lunch and go back for seconds when flown by similarly skilled pilots.

The Planes of Fame Air Museum owns and operates the only authentic Mitsubishi A6M5 Zeke in the World, out of Chino, California. The team should consider looking into that particular Zero, given that she is probably as close to the real deal as we can get, the team may be able to get detailed performance data on her, the team may be able to give her a very close look over, and the A6M5 is a type of Zero that would be a pretty good match for the F4F-4, F4U-1D, and P40F, etc. :thumbup: MJ

Edited by mjmorrow

Planes of Fame A6M5 is as close as it gets to real Zero, indeed. But you wont get as much in detailed performance mjmorrow, they (as any other flying museum) never run their aircraft at full power or even close to that, they also rarely if every perform complicated aerobatics that put more stress on airframe. Their goal is to preserve history which means they show as much as possible as long as it wont affect those birds - very expensive birds if I may add.

Though for overall flight characteristics it might be a good idea to ask them, I know Steve Hinton used to fly Zero quite a bit and liked it so they could call Chino guys.

The other bunch that is currently in process of building A6M3 model 32 from a scratch, are Legend Flyers guys (albeit their Zero wont have original engine, supposedly it was too expensive):

It will take them probably another year or two to complete it.

But if you want a Zero to match F4U-1D than I have a bad news, there is no such Zero. Between 2000-5000 meters A6M5 can be capable and overall has a better rate of climb and time to altitude but in general its outclassed. If that would be 1943 F4U-1 then it would be a pretty good match, but late 1944 F4U-1D is a different story. You might want N1K2-J or J2M3 for that one.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

The Japanese doctrine before the War was build light maneuverable Aircraft.

Buy the Time they facing heavy Fighters like Hellcat and Corsair there doctrine was build on Flying Performance Zero was simpley outclassed (flown in there Strengs of course and Pilot Skill)

Dont know what Version of the Wildcat they devlop, but was thinking about normal Version F4-3 somthing smilar to the zero where the Pilot Skills make difference far more intressting.

A6M5 max Power of 1130 HP compare to the Double Wasp of the Corsair with 2000 HP thats not slightly difference thats to different Worlds.

First comparable Fighters was like Hiromachi said with a new Generation of Engines Homare 21 or Mitsubishi Kinsei as example, was J2M Raiden 1800 HP

N1K Shiden 2000 HP KI-84 Hayate 2000 HP KI-100 and this Engines was still lacking of Evolutions like charger for good medium to high Altitude Power output.

On the Time Frame for Iwo Jima there was only Zero's station on the Island because of there good Range, (you have first to reach Iwo) that should be insane slaughter for the Corsairs :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

The Japanese doctrine before the War was build light maneuverable Aircraft.

Buy the Time they facing heavy Fighters like Hellcat and Corsair there doctrine was build on Flying Performance Zero was simpley outclassed (flown in there Strengs of course and Pilot Skill)

Dont know what Version of the Wildcat they devlop, but was thinking about normal Version F4-3 somthing smilar to the zero where the Pilot Skills make difference far more intressting.

A6M5 max Power of 1130 HP compare to the Double Wasp of the Corsair with 2000 HP thats not slightly difference thats to different Worlds.

First comparable Fighters was like Hiromachi said with a new Generation of Engines Homare 21 or Mitsubishi Kinsei as example, was J2M Raiden 1800 HP

N1K Shiden 2000 HP KI-84 Hayate 2000 HP KI-100 and this Engines was still lacking of Evolutions like charger for good medium to high Altitude Power output.

On the Time Frame for Iwo Jima there was only Zero's station on the Island because of there good Range, (you have first to reach Iwo) that should be insane slaughter for the Corsairs :huh:

I didn't say the Zero is competitive with the Corsair as even the last versions were quite clearly not. My point was that the version of the Wildcat and of the Zero would have to be both early war versions (F4F3/F4F-4 and A6M2) to be competitive with each other. LNS is making a F4U-1D for certain and the most competitive version of the Zero (which has not been confirmed in any case) to face it is the A6M5. I agree that other late war IJA or IJN fighters would be better suited to combating the Corsair.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Well, if you want a realistic and immersive scenario than A6M2, F4F-4 and F2A-3 make a good competition. Wildcat will be on lower end of performance but can make that up with other characteristics easily.

Zero could actually be competitive with Corsair and Hellcat if decision would be to stick to 1943 variants (so no water injection for R-2800 dash 8 and dash 10), but as noted, LNS is making F4U-1D so not much room is left.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

No idea how aircraft would fair against Corsair but in general J2M3 was considered most capable Japanese aircraft with fair maneuverability (enhanced by combat flaps), very good rate of climb and overall performance. And you have four 20 mm cannons with 200 rounds per gun so thats a lot of firepower and firing time.

Roll rate was found to be a bit worse than in P-51 and test pilot claimed it to be inferior machine, though he never tried to push it to the limits.

No idea how aircraft would fair against Corsair but in general J2M3 was considered most capable Japanese aircraft with fair maneuverability (enhanced by combat flaps), very good rate of climb and overall performance. And you have four 20 mm cannons with 200 rounds per gun so thats a lot of firepower and firing time.

Roll rate was found to be a bit worse than in P-51 and test pilot claimed it to be inferior machine, though he never tried to push it to the limits.

I only know from IL-2 1946 but in there the Raiden was something like a 109 and I think flew with a rip-off DB engine. My favourite back then was the Ki-84 Frank. It will be really interesting if in the future ED/partners go down those roads.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I think you might be confusing it with Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien, that one was powered by Ha-40 engine which was to a large degree a license copy of Db 601 Aa.

Raiden is powered by a massive and unique radial engine, with extended propeller shaft to match the conical shape of the nose. But to a certain degree you are correct, it would be in many ways 109 - high rate of climb, decent speed, good maneuverability, good stall characteristics. It was a fun bird to fly in.

Any modernized MiG-21, MiG-23MF or 98, MiG-25, MiG-31 or SU-22

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

THRUSTMASTER TFRP + T.Flight Hotas X / TrackIR 5