Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

From what I remember I can read the DDI's in the hornet without issues on the odyssey. The middle map DDI is also readable but the text could be a different font to make it better. Before I jump to another HMD I still have a long way to go since I'm also waiting for reverb impressions and comparison of the rift S to the odyssey.

Seems like the S is performing well even for those that don't have a super powerful gpu and that's important.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first day with Rift S behind me. Mixed feelings. Setting the PD to 1.5 gives a really big difference compared to its predecessor. Readable DDI is not a fiction with this setting. FPS'? As for the plus. F-18, which always after landing at the airports "cut" mercilessly now holds the frames without problems. Sound, here we have a significant step backwards and not forward. Sweet Spot is small. As you look at the object standing straight ahead and move your head, stopping your sight at the object, the object begins to bend over! The bigger the movement of the head and the object is on the edge of our field of view, the more leaned it becomes. What is the inclination? a few millimeters, but it makes a lot of difference when looking around during a maneuvering fight. That in the "old" CV1 was not like that ...

Just my first impressions...

As mentioned earlier above, I have a similar feeling about sweet spot size.

What I noticed is that looking off-center at around 50% the distance towards FOV edge, the picture gets quite blurry. So e.g. in the F18, when looking straight at the hud, if I move my eyes towards an MFD, it's not tack sharp, and I have to slightly turn my head toward it to get it sharp.

I haven't yet played with IPD setting, but I don't think it will help a lot.

That said, this issue might be also present in CV1 but less noticeable as the picture was everywhere much less sharp. And I don't want to reconnect my CV1 to double check. :)

But overall, I'm more than happy with the improved picture quality.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

As mentioned earlier above, I have a similar feeling about sweet spot size.

What I noticed is that looking off-center at around 50% the distance towards FOV edge, the picture gets quite blurry. So e.g. in the F18, when looking straight at the hud, if I move my eyes towards an MFD, it's not tack sharp, and I have to slightly turn my head toward it to get it sharp.

I haven't yet played with IPD setting, but I don't think it will help a lot.

That said, this issue might be also present in CV1 but less noticeable as the picture was everywhere much less sharp. And I don't want to reconnect my CV1 to double check. :)

But overall, I'm more than happy with the improved picture quality.

Sounds to me like you guys are out of accommodated IPD range. Have you tried wiggling the headset around and seeing if the sweetspot is any better if you align the lenses perfectly for 1 eye? Unfortunately the software IPD will only fix scaling issues, if your pupils don't align with the lens then you are out of luck.

Sounds to me like you guys are out of accommodated IPD range. Have you tried wiggling the headset around and seeing if the sweetspot is any better if you align the lenses perfectly for 1 eye? Unfortunately the software IPD will only fix scaling issues, if your pupils don't align with the lens then you are out of luck.
Last time I quickly checked I measured my IPD around 65mm... so not so far from optimum for Rift S.

But I didn't have a lot of time yet to play with headset position etc. Will re-measure IPD asap and do further testing tonight.

Edited by dax

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Are you saying, 67 is to much?

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

I played with my Rift S for about 2.5 hours and really like it.

PROS: I can read all the displays without leaning forward, and that is after lowering PD to 1.0. Frame rate was slightly slower but never dropped below 40 in big missions so still strong. Everything seems more crisp, very little screen door effect. Super easy to set up. Comfortable (Rift was as well). No sensors anymore, and there was no delay in my head turns. The touch controllers work great and are feather light vs the Rift ones. Moves in and out to accommodate glasses, which is very nice.

CONS: Sound is terrible. But they have a jack to plug in earbuds, so I plugged in my Bose and sounds great now. There is a smaller sweet spot then with the Rift. Its like the Odyssey. As was mentioned a few posts ago, you have to actually turn your head to see it crisp vs keeping head straight and just moving eyes. It blurs at the edges unlike the Rift. It took me a while to find the best position. The headset is a bit heaver.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

Are you saying, 67 is to much?
According to Facebook's declarations, the fixed lens are perfect for 63.5mm IPD, and should be almost perfect for the 61.5 - 65.5 range.

Then quality degrades slowly as you're getting farther outside that range. How bad is the degradation... no idea.

There is a smaller sweet spot then with the Rift. Its like the Odyssey. As was mentioned a few posts ago, you have to actually turn your head to see it crisp vs keeping head straight and just moving eyes. It blurs at the edges unlike the Rift.

I'm then not the only one noticing this...

Updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest 430.something

Disconnected old rift boxed it up. Connected the S but it didn’t like the Inateck USB. So the setup did not find it. Switched to MB 3.0 and it took.

Setup was fast and easy. It goes through a firmware update. improvements in the setup since no external sensors. Play area setup is too easy.

Cord is longer. Only need one USB since sensors are built in.

Sound kinda sux but there is a connection for aux sound. I have some high quality ear buds I plugged in. Awesome sound now.

Head set is more comfortable to me.

There is a rubber nose piece you can easily pull off (dont need it) to be able to peek at the the keyboard. Yay!

I did not adjust PD. It seems just fine out of the box. I’m on 1.6 in DCS. Could probably increase that. I did not adjust IPD either.

When at the Oculus GUI there is a pass through feature where you can see your surroundings, just not clear though but nice feature.

I flew around for awhile in the F18. VR is awesome right?

I turned my VR settings in DCS up right much before I flew with no issues.

Cockpit looks awesome and the world looks good.

Clarity looks good, colors look good. Seems all is brighter.

There is still some SDE but not as much. Depends on background like light sky. Definitely improved and doesn't bother me really.

Tracking is solid, no issues.

I think it is a worthy upgrade.

BTW... Zuckerberg is definitely an Alien... some kind of Mutant Grey.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

So - just did three sorties with my new Rift S on Blue Flag in a Hornet.

Pro:

Visual quality much improved with the higher resolution and move to RGB stripe. I can indeed 'read everything'. Spotting seems easier now as well.

Cons:

Audio. Just sucks. Plain crap. When I'm flying my Hornet I don't want to hear the fish tank in my room. Iplugged in some clip ons I had and it's now better, but now there is another thing to faff with and cables to tangle. The person who 'okayed' the audio on the Rift S made a colossal cock up, no other way of looking at it.

I had a couple of individual frames of 'noise' like a colour tv snow - not a problem really if a bit jarring.

Tracking however... I sit low on the floor in a home made simpit - Rift kept dropping me back down at inconvenient times... not good.

On the whole I think I'll keep the upgrade in the expectation of improved software - simply because of the resolution upgrade.

So - just did three sorties with my new Rift S on Blue Flag in a Hornet.

Pro:

Visual quality much improved with the higher resolution and move to RGB stripe. I can indeed 'read everything'. Spotting seems easier now as well.

Cons:

Audio. Just sucks. Plain crap. When I'm flying my Hornet I don't want to hear the fish tank in my room. Iplugged in some clip ons I had and it's now better, but now there is another thing to faff with and cables to tangle. The person who 'okayed' the audio on the Rift S made a colossal cock up, no other way of looking at it.

I had a couple of individual frames of 'noise' like a colour tv snow - not a problem really if a bit jarring.

Tracking however... I sit low on the floor in a home made simpit - Rift kept dropping me back down at inconvenient times... not good.

On the whole I think I'll keep the upgrade in the expectation of improved software - simply because of the resolution upgrade.

You have plenty of lights on in your room?

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Im very excited to receive mine today. When I tried the original Rift I remember the SDE inability to read cockpit info was a total let down, made things unplayable for me. I hope this will change my mind about VR so I can avoid having to buy another TrackIR setup, or waiting till September for the Valve Index

Ugggggh. Yall are going to make me go buy this thing. I was trying to hold off for a couple of months at least. My bday is coming up next week so I'll tell the wife what I want. :)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Ugggggh. Yall are going to make me go buy this thing. I was trying to hold off for a couple of months at least. My bday is coming up next week so I'll tell the wife what I want. :)

go down to Best Buy and buy it! ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I played with my Rift S for about 2.5 hours and really like it.

PROS: I can read all the displays without leaning forward, and that is after lowering PD to 1.0. Frame rate was slightly slower but never dropped below 40 in big missions so still strong. Everything seems more crisp, very little screen door effect. Super easy to set up. Comfortable (Rift was as well). No sensors anymore, and there was no delay in my head turns. The touch controllers work great and are feather light vs the Rift ones. Moves in and out to accommodate glasses, which is very nice.

CONS: Sound is terrible. But they have a jack to plug in earbuds, so I plugged in my Bose and sounds great now. There is a smaller sweet spot then with the Rift. Its like the Odyssey. As was mentioned a few posts ago, you have to actually turn your head to see it crisp vs keeping head straight and just moving eyes. It blurs at the edges unlike the Rift. It took me a while to find the best position. The headset is a bit heaver.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

I think you really need to press it more against your face. The screen needs to be as close to your eyes as possible. Everyone reviewer i've heard reports a much bigger sweetspot... unless you wear it not tight enough..

With my IPD of 70mm I can't say i'm not dissapointed at the FOV reduction using the Rift S, seems like I lost around 10° on each side compared to my Rift. It seems that the edge of the screen is very blurry too. It took just about as much time tinkering with the headset than setting up sensors which sort of negates there ease of use selling point for me at least.

The sound is also awful, but I was expecting that and there is an audio jack so I anticipated the problem.

I still won't be sending mine back though, the readability increase and easier spotting make up for those issues, which are still a shame, but i'll get used to them I guess.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm then not the only one noticing this...

I guess this is based on your ipd. By design the sweet spot must be larger to accommodate the full range of ipd measurement. I would guess if you're on the edge of this, then it would be smaller. Mine is 65, and sweet spot seems quite large to me, where I don't really have to get the fitting perfect.

Coming from the original Vive its no honeymoon period for me as its simply the fact that i can now read the dials and switchs in the planes with no issues at all. No leaning to within a few inches to check them out. The only plane that I struggled with last night was the Tomcat but I think that is just made to look old and worn out.

There is a clean label mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

But what I would recommend is this cockpit re-skin:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

It makes all labels more readable and slightly bigger, I like it a lot actually.

There is a clean label mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

But what I would recommend is this cockpit re-skin:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

It makes all labels more readable and slightly bigger, I like it a lot actually.

Nice mods especially Brickdust’s F14 cockpit, but currently neither pass MP IC. Bricks will soon though I believe.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

With my IPD of 70mm I can't say i'm not dissapointed at the FOV reduction using the Rift S, seems like I lost around 10° on each side compared to my Rift. It seems that the edge of the screen is very blurry too. It took just about as much time tinkering with the headset than setting up sensors which sort of negates there ease of use selling point for me at least.

I have found a good position to make it less blurry on edges. Like someone suggested here, I made it a bit tighter and also pushed it down against my nose. Seems to work best. After a couple more hours of using it today, I still highly recommend.

I have found a good position to make it less blurry on edges. Like someone suggested here, I made it a bit tighter and also pushed it down against my nose. Seems to work best. After a couple more hours of using it today, I still highly recommend.
Same for me.

I tightened a bit more and put the lenses as close as possible to my eyes and it helped slightly enlarging the sweet spot.

My ipd is about 70mm, so I stopped by Microsoft store today to test Rift S. The long story short is - you can't go against physics, if your ipd is not 63.5 then it won't match to the one on the headset. What I did is the following: closed my left eye, moved hmd slightly around to make sure the sweet spot is at a center for my right eye - a perfect picture. Then closed the right eye, opened the left one, and see how far the sweet spot is off from the center. Yeah, I guess for those with exact 63.5 it is perfect, for anybody else it is worse. How worse - depends on how far yours is off. Basically, for those with the higher numbers the sweet spot moves towards the nose, and for anything less than 63.5 it goes outwards.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

okay okay, i can't take it anymore. I just placed my order for one at a BestBuy 20 miles from here (only one that still had them in stock). I should get it in less than a hour. Full report forthcoming.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64