sound speculation extreme thread

rogonaut

I have seen many times how these planes stayed on ground unable to start an engine. Prepared and tested for the show. Some engines start as right as the prop begins to rotate, some - from several attemps, being primed and flaming. Too many factors involved.

that exactly what i ment thos dcs's p-51 starts like champ everytime

those engines starts like this very random

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I have seen many times how these planes stayed on ground unable to start an engine. Prepared and tested for the show. Some engines start as right as the prop begins to rotate, some - from several attemps, being primed and flaming. Too many factors involved.
So this is why when the DCS Mustang starts, it does the same thing every time (no overeager kick before making a solid catch, rough running at first, failure of the engine to make a solid catch when the mixture is moved to run)? There are too many variables that dictate if an engine start is rough/smooth/temperamental, so it is not represented in DCS?

I'm not talking about sounds in this immediate question. Just starting dynamics.

Thanks for the reply above, Yo Yo.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

yeap this youtube pick wasnt at good quality.

but what is killing me that after engine starts running it taking power too easy even at cold weather engine revs way to quickly. i saw one merlin start up irl and hundreds at youtube all of them arent firing so perfectly at cold engine

not mention that cracking thorttle isnt required to start up engine in dcs :)

for one side fuel system is so bad so many leaks that it cant shut down properly and at the same time fuel system is so perfect that engine starts in cold like a champ :)

i like over primig effect in spit very very :)

sound samples are probably well done what dcs's sounds need is tunning them

I guess you mean because you have seen so in any other simulation out there, right? :thumbup:

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I guess you mean because you have seen so in any other simulation out there, right? :thumbup:

S!

seen what ???

flames from exhaust after over priming engine ?? ask any p-51 or spit pilot then

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

i just like very much how they modeled i-16 whne you starting up engine is very luggish in throttle response and you can see that rpm going up during warm up with throttle constant position that is sweet

seen what ???

flames from exhaust after over priming engine ?? ask any p-51 or spit pilot then

Nope, flames on overpriming are there already. I mean those sounds effects you ask for because DCS is so bad without them :lol: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Nope, flames on overpriming are there already. I mean those sounds effects you ask for because DCS is so bad without them :lol: .

S!

im not asking for sound effects but actualy i would turn up exhaust stacks detonations while engine is at high rpm with throttle cut off or very close to it.

im asking for normal behavior during starting up or shuting down engine

and add gun ports visle at landing approach

preaty loud do you think ??
Edited by grafspee

yo-yo said that engine's magnetos aret designed to provide spark at low rpm. like during engine cranking by electric starter. And that p-51 have battery feed booster coil for ignition system right ?? engaged with starter switch in cocpit to privide power to ignition distribution system.

so what is going on when i switch mixture to cut off position engine reacting to this instantious which is not right by me than when engine is closing to 200rpm sudden burst of ignition appeare reving engine above 200rpm then cut off rpm start droping whnen about to hit 200rpm engine come back to life and this can happen couple of time sometimes i losing hope that engien will stop at all in this magical loop.

and everything is happening at very low rpm where magnetos should not produce spark anymore so question is does p-51 has automatic system which engage this coil booster when rpm drop too low to avoid engine stop firing ?? is this a thing ?? if not what is going on then ??

Nope, flames on overpriming are there already. I mean those sounds effects you ask for because DCS is so bad without them .

S!

Spitfire has overpriming flames, Mustang does not.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

I've been to the FHCAM Luftwaffe Fly Day a couple of times now (fortunately live about an hour away from Paine Field/KPAE) and it's always a treat to see and hear the collection in the air. Their 190A5 has been a reliable performer every time, so expect to experience it this August. Here's the announcement:

https://flyingheritage.org/Visit/Events/Luftwaffe-Fly-Day.aspx

Edited by flyingfed

im not asking for sound effects but actualy i would turn up exhaust stacks detonations while engine is at high rpm with throttle cut off or very close to it.

im asking for normal behavior during starting up or shuting down engine

and add gun ports visle at landing approach

preaty loud do you think ??
I say again, I guess you want all of that because you've seen those already in all of the other so detailed simulators out there, right? :lol: I mean, it's like you wonder why there is no such so obvious and easy to model details already in a 7 years old module, right? I think you better buy a real p-51 instead of a game module we got at 15$ some years ago if you want to hear those :smilewink: .

S!

I say again, I guess you want all of that because you've seen those already in all of the other so detailed simulators out there, right? :lol: I mean, it's like you wonder why there is no such so obvious and easy to model details already in a 7 years old module, right? I think you better buy a real p-51 instead of a game module we got at 15$ some years ago if you want to hear those :smilewink: .

S!

i play only dcs so no i dont hear them in difrent sims

Edited by grafspee

I thought this was about sound? Not a dick measuring contest of who knows what’s right. Point being sound is important in a sim, and thus far the warbirds have been lacking until modders have fixed it. Hopefully the A8 will be different but I highly doubt it.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

• ED Team
Hopefully the A8 will be different but I highly doubt it.

Well actually, in the trailer, the very first scene with the flyby is audio straight from the actual recording of that flyby. It's a step up in terms of audio-fidelity (I think at least) for the prop airplanes, so I wanted to include it in the video. :)

Well actually, in the trailer, the very first scene with the flyby is audio straight from the actual recording of that flyby. It's a step up in terms of audio-fidelity (I think at least) for the prop airplanes, so I wanted to include it in the video. :)

holy crap really!? thats what i wanted to hear, i thought its just a trailer with edited sound to it - it sounded amazingly real.

thats some superb sound right there:thumbup:

hurray!

holy crap really!? thats what i wanted to hear, i thought its just a trailer with edited sound to it - it sounded amazingly real.

thats some superb sound right there:thumbup:

hurray!

Remember he said beginning of trailer not the whole thing. Hard to hear anyway with all that music...

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

its quite hard to aquire real flyby sound of K-4 and D-9 :(

IMHO even the cannons today sounds bad in Su-25, mirage etc. Like one and the same sound file on all.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Remember he said beginning of trailer not the whole thing. Hard to hear anyway with all that music...
It sounded very good... Espescially the flybye sound at the start, there was no music then and u could hear it very well.
Edited by rogonaut

Music is better than no music.