I quit - View problem

HoYa

First of let me just say that I freaking LOVE this sim. I fly in VR, and the inability to look behind you in the P51 is simply maddening. I literally can’t check six because the look back key looks forward on the left side of nose. A simple fix would make this sim plane AMAZING but as soon as you loose sight of the bandit it’s done.

I hope they fix this simple task one day and I can return to the mustang....

Use VR view reset in HOTAS.

Look at right, reset, look at your left (over your six).

Hassle but that is way to cheat....

Real pilots didn't check their six either in combat, as it was as difficult as it is in VR.

That is why you have a wingman that does check your six and you check his six. Why you perform turns randomly to check your sixes together.

In combat the wingman is there to keep your six free, and you lead to keep your wingman six free.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

What Fri said

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

What is this guy even talking about? If he's playing in VR, checking his six is as simple as twisting around, unless there's something funky about the VR camera. If the seat is in the way or something... well, yeah, solid objects do that sometimes. If he's complaining about having to twist around... then why are you playing in VR? That's kind of the point. 1 to 1 scale and all that.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Let me tell you what I’m talking about. The seat I have makes it very difficult, as well as health issues I have to just “twist around.

As far as the wingman issue and the “that’s the way it was done” posts, this is a game. I just wanna play it and enjoy it.

My point is, if I can check 6 in the F15 and the A10a, why is the p51 excluded from this view, while all others are provided. Heck even arcade view is accessible ! But looking behind you, no way. This is infuriating and makes no sense...

Let me tell you what I’m talking about. The seat I have makes it very difficult, as well as health issues I have to just “twist around.

As far as the wingman issue and the “that’s the way it was done” posts, this is a game. I just wanna play it and enjoy it.

My point is, if I can check 6 in the F15 and the A10a, why is the p51 excluded from this view, while all others are provided. Heck even arcade view is accessible ! But looking behind you, no way. This is infuriating and makes no sense...

Actually this is Sim Game, when pilot is tighten to sit in very narrow cockpit you will not able to turn 180 to check your 6 w/o trouble.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

In reality, many pilots loosened their shoulder straps specifically so that they could turn their upper body to ease looking behind.

And no, in VR it doesn't work like you think, because of viewing limitations.

Firstly you have to understand that most VR goggles have a fairly narrow FOV. You can turn your head to help alleviate that, but much of what you do in the Real-World™ is to turn your eyes in addition to turning your head. In fact, if your turned only your head, but not your eyes, it would be very unnatural and awkward. Because of VR's narrow FOV, turning your eyes only has your looking into blurriness and/or darkness.

You can turn your head about 90° to the side. While seated, you can turn your upper body about another 45° while remaining seated. And then you can turn your eyes about another 45-50°. This is how I learned to back a car many years ago, include throwing your right arm over the seatback (yeah it was that long ago) to stabilize the over-the-should look.

Even if your gaming seat will allow for this method, you still cannot turn your eyes to get that last 45-50°.

I use a swivel chair, but there's no room for swiveling it more than 10-15°, maybe 20.

So there is either stretch-and-strain to look back, or get your wingman to do it for your.

VR is progressing and there are already goggles with much wider FOV's than Oculus CV1's.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• ED Team

I struggle with checking my six in VR, think I am getting to old :)

I use my mirror a lot in the P-51.

I will take a look at the views.

Screen_191230_131414.thumb.jpg.a620b675e5273865b9462c2414a5b7f0.jpg

Screen_191230_131418.thumb.jpg.b2472067d249f15eae908a31e1aad4d2.jpg

Screen_191230_131548.thumb.jpg.9c3f563b79d6310caba0aac7403a9d72.jpg

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
I think everyone is missing the freaking point,

EVERY PLANE IN DCS HAS A LOOK BACK BUTTON,

THE P51 LOOK BACK BUTTON, DOESNT LOOK BACK.

NEEDS FIXING, PERIOD.....

Can you tell me which key combination you are using in other aircraft for this?

I will look into it.

edit: do you mean LShift F4?

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The P-51 is way too awesome to just give up on it. There is a solution for everything, so there must be one for your problem. I think the key combo you are refering to is LShift-F4, right?

LShift-F4 in the P-51 indeed lets you see past the left side of the nose. It is very easy to alter this view with RShift+RControl+Num4, Num6, Num2, Num8, Num* and Num-. When you find the view you desire you can save it with RAlt + Num0.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

• ED Team

Hi all,

I have reported the LShift F4 view issue.

Thanks

Because of VR's narrow FOV, turning your eyes only has your looking into blurriness and/or darkness.

Maybe some day VR will get eye tracking.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I agree with BIGNEWY! QUOTE: "I struggle with checking my six in VR, think I am getting to old!" Me too brother!

Additionally, checking your six in almost any modern fighter requires you to look over your left and right shoulder and maneuver 10-20 degrees in that direction. Anything behind your Three-To-Nine Line can kill you and if looking left, roll left and pull a little, do the same in opposite for the right and check your six often. I wish I had a good wingman to dust off bandits on my six here...had to fix the situation myself.

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having a good wingman is awesome for checking your 6, especially in a multiple aircraft dogfight, had a couple instances where we were out numbered 2 to 1 and survived just because we kept calling out hostile positions and adjusting to let friendly get lead on them.

For the spitfire turning and using the mirror are the best options, I'm 19 and in vr even I struggle to check my 6 however that seems to be just how the aircraft was designed. Mustangs canopy provided much better rear ward visibility.

Beyond turning, looking, mirrors and wing man the mustang has rear facing radar.

Do take Into consideration that it can detect the ground.

I dont fly a p51 irl but do fly a T34. I also fly vr in DCS. 90 degree field of view or whatever, in actual flying whether maneuvering in a dogfight or not, you have to wrench your ass around to see behind you, that’s why you see grip handles on fighters. It’s physical work. This is captured quite nicely in dcs vr.. (I did make some handles in my brain cockpit to replicate the handles in the cockpit and they work great.)

Los