Normandy Cold Start instant action mission

mx22

Not complaining, but why would Cold Start instant action on Normandy map be done at an early morning time with heavy ground fog? Once airborne, ground is covered in fog making finding your way back to the airfield a challenge.

P.S. I'm in VR, so perhaps things are a bit different on monitor...

can you change the time ; before taking off ?

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

Sure I can change weather settings, but... what was creator's idea for this mission? Just to turn the engine on and enjoy the outside view? Would planes in real life (during WW2 period) fly in fog conditions such as in the mission?

P.S. FW190 Cold Start quick mission also starts from this same airfield, but during later time in the day and with less fog - still less then ideal IMO for a quick mission, but at least it's possible to do a visual approach.

OP, thanks for asking. I've been curious too, (and flying VR as well).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Sure I can change weather settings, but... what was creator's idea for this mission? Just to turn the engine on and enjoy the outside view? Would planes in real life (during WW2 period) fly in fog conditions such as in the mission?

No they wouldn't.

But mechanics used to ground run the engines at dawn or even before the dawn for final checks and keeping them warm before upcoming morning operations. You can imagine doing the same ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well, hopefully developers will see this thread and perhaps will consider changing mission parameters.

P.S. Again, my only gripe with this quick mission is that it is labeled as Cold Start under Quick Start menu - this is where new players will most likely go to hone their skills from starting the airplane to taxing, taking off and possibly trying to land. This mission makes it an overly complicated task.

P.P.S. Better yet, rename current mission and add simple navigation route with a couple of waypoints and landing on a different airfield to challenge navigation skills of the more advanced users - I would quiet enjoy flying this.