Strange roll oscillations

Maulkin

I have been trying to learn how to dogfight in the Bf-109 and it has been a real struggle. It seems that I easily enter into a rolling oscillation (despite holding my controls steady) making it impossible to turn with a P-51D. I have been keeping my speed above 300km/h so I have no idea what I am doing wrong. It gets so bad at some points that I can get no response from the controls. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Check the settings for BF109 in misc options.. the auto rudder, aileron.. etc.

I don't imply I'm a ace or smth :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

i have the same issue with the new patchversion.

as far as i see it, its a matter of "clean flying" ... means - keep the ball centred.

sometimes and in certain flightattitudes you even have to "over-rudder" a little to stay "on rails" and be able to get the shot.

take these advices from a somewhat "slightly above average" 109driver :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

Sounds like you might be pulling too hard and stalling.

Sadly they removed the warning buffet in 1.5.4 so it's kinda guesswork figuring out how hard you can pull before she starts rolling.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I would agree with the stalling but the way it oscillates is almost like a loose aileron flapping around and less like a stall.

I confirmed that auto rudder is disabled, and take-off assistance, aileron trim and rudder trim are set to zero.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

With confirmed bug of slats being inoperative after latest patch (and God knows what more), I wouldn't pay too much attention to roll behaviour during turns now, as it most likely will drastically change again with the next update in two weeks or so.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Sadly it is pretty much unflyable in this state :(

--Maulkin

Did you try checking the deadzones of your joystick? Sometimes spikes in potmeters can cause sudden virtual stick displacements, even if the RL joystick is held steady.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

I used CTRL-ENTER to monitor my input and it was rock steady

--Maulkin

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the Bf109, and first found it almost impossible to fly... As described, ossilating sudden rolls made it realy hard too handle...

Found my issue tho :doh:

Was so eager to get it airborn that i just assigned the most relevant axis and keys to go :pilotfly:

But when i looked, as deffault all my "joysticks" were assignet to the same tasks, therefore my rudder brake pedals was assigned too roll to, instead of left/right brake...

Cleaned up the controll axis chart, and the rolls dissapered :music_whistling:

(Guessing i twinkeled my thoes just now and then, as the problems was'nt consistent )

Now its not impossible, just hard to fly! Didnt try it before the latest patch, but i hope im having the same issues as everyone else, and that the slats and FM will get better on the next uppdate... Could bee me, not suited to fly a Messerschmitt tho :joystick:

I did not have have multiple axis assigned. This was happening without even moving the controls once I entered into the oscillation state.

Does anyone know if the update 1.5.4.57013.162 fixed the issue?

I saw in the notes that "Wing slat will be animated" but does not sound like it did anything to the flight model.

--Maulkin

I can confirm. I was wondering the same thing and question the "animated" patch note. but its pretty much back to old stability now with working slats.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Awesome! Thanks guys!

--Maulkin

I just tried it out now and wow what a difference! It will still snap-roll on you if you get the speed down too low but that happens in a predictable way. The strange oscillations are gone. I am wondering if this is simply a placebo or if there was something changed in the flight model somehow.

--Maulkin

Afaik working slats are the only difference

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

I was able to just reproduce it using version 2.0.3.56503. I don't know if the ver 2.0 Alpha is up to the same baseline as the full release version or not. Track of this is attached. In the track you will see me enter into this strange rolling oscillations and despite my control surfaces being almost static (in a left hand turn but ailerons deflected right, elevators down and rudder almost neutral) this oscillations persist. My velocity also appears pretty steady I think.

Bf109_rolling_oscillations.trk

Edited by Maulkin

--Maulkin

2.0 hasn't had an update since the one that 'broke' the slats. I'd assume since it's already fixed in release that it will be fixed in the next 2.0 patch whenever that might be.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I will test again on the release version

--Maulkin

• ED Team
With confirmed bug of slats being inoperative after latest patch (and God knows what more), I wouldn't pay too much attention to roll behaviour during turns now, as it most likely will drastically change again with the next update in two weeks or so.

Hoping that fix will make the next patch.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png