jumpy tail wheel...

Under certain circumstances, usually while taxiing in the K-4, and specially when I forget to pull the stick all the way back, it's usual to experience a strange bumpiness when I apply wheel brakes.

The tail rises, and a series of tailwheel bounces begins, sometimes diverging towards higher amplitudes, and as if there was no inertia / dampening around the CoR... It starts jumping wildly on it's tail ....

Have any of you experienced the same ?

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I dont have the same problem and have never heard of that. Maybe you brake to hard or taxi to quickly?

Yes, and I have adjusted my toe brake curves to minimize it, but that's not the question here.

What I meant with the OP is that once it starts bouncing, it behaves in a weird way. The tail jumps at a pace that doesn't seem right, and there's practically no dampening.

Yes I know what your describing as on a few occasions the tail has bounced oddly due to quick and heavy breaking at low speed ! it's in a manner that would not be replicated in real life ? if it were to do it at all it should only be 1 time not 3 or 4 times with increasing force ,It almost feels like something would snap due to banging down. I don't think you could call it a bug I think it's just a unique set of circumstances ?

Edited by Combat Wombat

Yes I know what your describing as on a few occasions the tail has bounced oddly due to quick and heavy breaking at low speed ! it's in a manner that would not be replicated in real life ? if it were to do it at all it should only be 1 time not 3 or 4 times with increasing force ,It almost feels like something would snap due to banging down. I don't think you could call it a bug I think it's just a unique set of circumstances ?

Yep - that's exactly it - couldn't find a better way to describe it :-)

Right now I notice it really a lot. For health reasons I'm not able to use pedal brakes any more so I'd to set a Joystick button as brakes. Even using button the smoothest I can (many short brakes) 109 bounces like mad so taxi is a really tough matter. Of course all the way stick back. I don't know if the real thing is like that but it's weird.

Not only the bounce is there, but now while using "button brakes" I'm not able to right turn the 109 on ground at all. I know an only button means both brakes but still she should respond even a bit while full right pedal is depressed. I play tail wheel lock on/off but still it's impossible to me right turn the 109 without right brake push :(. I know mine is a particular condition, but it's frustrating now.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Forgot to mention, my situation is something out of usual but funny thing is I still can taxi P-51 or Dora without further notice.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Forgot to mention, my situation is something out of usual but funny thing is I still can taxi P-51 or Dora without further notice.

S!

I hope you can get better, or over it ( your health problem ) as soon as possible Ala13!

Having to use a button for toe brakes is difficult, but a friend from India uses exactly the same method, with no rudder pedals, and he is slowly mastering even the Mig-21 :-)

Well, trying to reproduce it this morning, on the latest 1.5.3, I couldn't ?

Has it been fixed ?

P.S.: Confirmed, and somehow embarrassing because I made the OP... I have tried to get those wild tail wheel jumps / bumps, using all sets of loads, offline, and couldn't reproduce the effect I've been experiencing when taxiing the K4 at the ACG Server BllodAndWinter / BloodAnSummer maps.... ???? Might it be server based ? How / Why ?

Edited by jcomm
Further testing revealed the bumpiness is gone in release 1.5.3...

I hope you can get better, or over it ( your health problem ) as soon as possible Ala13!

Having to use a button for toe brakes is difficult, but a friend from India uses exactly the same method, with no rudder pedals, and he is slowly mastering even the Mig-21 :-)

Thanks mate!! :smilewink: Anyway it won't get better, if something will get worst so I'll try to learn ASAP.

No changes in 1.5.3 for me since yesterday I tried. I just went quick mission, ramp start, but I doubt weather conditions can change that bounce. Try using keyboard brake just in case.

S!

Braking in the 109 is completely ****ed at the moment last I checked. 10 Km/h and apply full wheel brakes; you'll do a god damn front flip.

In 1.5.3 the brakes are OK, you can brake Bf 109 hard on lading that don't flip - still more sensible in Mustang.

Braking with buttons - joy trigger both, T-Rudder (rudder) axis right/left. ;)

Something is wrong.. Going slowly over transitions between grass and pavement results in a huge jump of the tail, and sometimes during landing your tail will go crazy.. Sure, bumping a bit is normal, but gaining height from each jump untill the tailwheel eventually brakes is a tad bit insane.. Been like this since release..

Something is wrong.. Going slowly over transitions between grass and pavement results in a huge jump of the tail, and sometimes during landing your tail will go crazy.. Sure, bumping a bit is normal, but gaining height from each jump untill the tailwheel eventually brakes is a tad bit insane.. Been like this since release..

Although we know, from our RL experience that in some aircraft, weird and really embarrassing tail bumps can happen and ruin an otherwise great day of thermalling :-)

Anyway, when I started the thread I ws exactly referring to that observation of yours, but ever since I posted the thread and tried again to reproduce what was easy to reproduce in previous versions, I couldn't, under any circumstance including a wide range of fuel and amno loads.

Only thing I didn't yet do was using the keyboard as Alla suggests.

I have also set my toe brakes to an 80% damped curve...

Edited by jcomm