No afterburner during Take-off?

Strikeeagle345

When did the " No afterburner on Take-off roll or launching on the carrier" start? If i am not mistaken, the A models usually used AB in both cases. However, when the switch to the GE F110 came, the rule was instated due to how powerful they were and the small rudder on the cat was unable to counter AB in the even of a compressor stall / engine failure.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I think it was also due to the JBDs being unable to withstand the punishment of the F110s in full afterburner.

I think...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think so, because A/B is prohibited for field takeoff too. I expect it's probably to do with the wide spacing of the powerful engines leading to a loss of control if you lost an engine, but that's a guess.

Deja-vu!:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225172

(there's details in there, so I'm not just linking because it's a dupe topic)

holy balls, well the forum search failed me:doh:

Well, my main questions was, the A model could use burner on the CAT and on the field as it had no restriction. Really thats all I was trying to verify.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

At Mill power with the f110 engines, that is approximately stage 1 or stage 2 in the tf30. there is not enough water authority at slow speeds to control a y'all condition if one engine was the flame out while on afterburner takeoff on the f110.

At sea level at low speeds the TF30, a pair is approximately 35k lbs whereas the F110 is around 47k lbs. with that cited that is a big difference in force.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

At Mill power with the f110 engines, that is approximately stage 1 or stage 2 in the tf30. there is not enough water authority at slow speeds to control a y'all condition if one engine was the flame out while on afterburner takeoff on the f110.

At sea level at low speeds the TF30, a pair is approximately 35k lbs whereas the F110 is around 47k lbs. with that cited that is a big difference in force.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spell check is humorous on this one. :smilewink:

The static, installed thrust was around 17,200-17,800 at SL, but the TF30 picked up 30% more thrust at Mach .90 due to ram effect and the remarkable efficiency of the intake design.

Viewpoints are my own.

The static, installed thrust was around 17,200-17,800 at SL, but the TF30 picked up 30% more thrust at Mach .90 due to ram effect and the remarkable efficiency of the intake design.

yeah, its pretty good. Auto-correct did not do so well.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Whoever even remotely relies on spell checks these times totally failed studying his language. Whereever I come across those "features", I disable them at once as I still have a brain that can do the job well enough dealwithit.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Whoever even remotely relies on spell checks these times totally failed studying his language. Whereever I come across those "features", I disable them at once as I still have a brain that can do the job well enough dealwithit.png

WOW! MY GOD! CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?!?!? PLEASE!

Whoever even remotely relies on spell checks these times totally failed studying his language. Whereever I come across those "features", I disable them at once as I still have a brain that can do the job well enough

It isn’t spell check per se, it’s typing errors on tiny on screen keyboards.

Viewpoints are my own.

It isn’t spell check per se, it’s typing errors on tiny on screen keyboards.

That's a factor though. Personally I try not to use that wherever possible, and if I write something on a mobile, I always have it in landscape orientation which helps a lot already. But I've never ever seen someone else doing so as of yet, and literally everyone is walking around in the streets typing on their mobiles nowadays...

Most prevalent factor probably is that most people just don't take their time to spell check themselves anymore. But well, not even professionals do that anymore. Time is money.

And no matter what, it still will happen, and it can happen to anyone - errare humanum est rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Well i do since i have dyslexia, not that i can not read or type but i use google a lot of the time to help, but everyone is different so lets not put us all in the same basket.

Glad you have a brain that does the job well enough, so do i but it's just wired a little different.

:)

The F-14 has a RATS system (Reduced Arrestment Thrust System) but it's used for carrier landing and is enabled with weight on either main wheel and tail hook down. So not in use for cat shots. In either case it's also overriden by selecting afterburner.

But that still doesn't mean that you should select afterburner before the cat shot! ;-)

Its prohibited during take off / wave offs because if you lose an engine at those times, the YAW produced from a single engine in AB would be more than the combined control surfaces can counter.

it was already cutting close with the TF30s, YAW Induced spins from Asymmetric thrust was a big issue with the Tomcat, just ask Nick Bradshaw. :-)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs