North Atlantic and Norwegian sea

gorma

How about an ‘80s map containing elements of say the arctic ocean and norwegian sea/barents sea for some nato/soviet carrier/fleet operations?

Nice idea, mate. Would surely buy that stuff.

• Like 1

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

How about an ‘80s map containing elements of say the arctic ocean and norwegian sea/barents sea for some nato/soviet carrier/fleet operations?

Your getting warm........I believe the soon released free map will be Murmansk. A very important WWII location, and Cold War flash point.

Do you really think he would announce who guessed the location? Release the location ahead of schedule? Read all the posts. I appears that people have suggested pretty much every location on earth, where WWII was fought.

No, but in that thread Post #9 suggests "...Kola..."

And then in Post #10, Wags replies: "... I have not seen a single person correctly guess it."

So it seems that Kola at least is crossed off the list of potential locations, no?

The thing is, its my understanding that anything to the West of Murmansk, isnt Kola. So when people say Kola is not the map, they might be entirely truthful in that. But it doesn't necessarily mean its not North Cape.

I hope it is. It would be a near perfect map for DCS as things stand.

+1

Has been discussed here already: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200319

Yeah, a map centered around this area would be perfect.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The thing is, its my understanding that anything to the West of Murmansk, isnt Kola. So when people say Kola is not the map, they might be entirely truthful in that. But it doesn't necessarily mean its not North Cape.

I hope it is. It would be a near perfect map for DCS as things stand.

I hope you are right. It would indeed be a great map for dcs...

• 2 months later...

I highly support this idea. Here are 8 reasons why:

1. You get 4 countries in a fairly small area: Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. Lots of potential scenarios.

2. It has a lot of ocean for blue water carrier operations, in a very important strategic area, both historically and currently.

3. It is one of the borders between the NATO and the old Warsaw Pact. Endless ideas for Cold War scenarios or Cold War gone hot.

4. You have operators (current or historical) of planes that we have (or almost have) in DCS now: F-16 and UH-1 (Norway), F/A-18 (Finland), Viggen (Sweden), and ofcourse a bunch of russian planes and helicopters of different eras.

5. The airfields in Northern Norway, like Bodø and Bardufoss has been (and still are) host to a LOT of different NATO countries during exercises, so you can easily add most NATO plane types to the area in a scenario.

6. Harsh landscapes with mountains, valleys, fjords and lots of ice and snow in the winter. This makes it very interesting and challenging to fly in.

7. Midnight sun and polar night giving some tactical issues when fighting in the middle of summer or the middle of winter.

8. Size seems possible, compared to other DCS maps: There is about 790 km from Bodø to Murmansk. Compared to the Caucasus map, there is about 720 km from Anapa to Tblisi.

I hope this will happen one day. It would be a perfect map in my opinion. :pilotfly:

This is EXACTLY my thoughts as well.

I highly support this idea. Here are 8 reasons why:

1. You get 4 countries in a fairly small area: Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. Lots of potential scenarios.

2. It has a lot of ocean for blue water carrier operations, in a very important strategic area, both historically and currently.

3. It is one of the borders between the NATO and the old Warsaw Pact. Endless ideas for Cold War scenarios or Cold War gone hot.

4. You have operators (current or historical) of planes that we have (or almost have) in DCS now: F-16 and UH-1 (Norway), F/A-18 (Finland), Viggen (Sweden), and ofcourse a bunch of russian planes and helicopters of different eras.

5. The airfields in Northern Norway, like Bodø and Bardufoss has been (and still are) host to a LOT of different NATO countries during exercises, so you can easily add most NATO plane types to the area in a scenario.

6. Harsh landscapes with mountains, valleys, fjords and lots of ice and snow in the winter. This makes it very interesting and challenging to fly in.

7. Midnight sun and polar night giving some tactical issues when fighting in the middle of summer or the middle of winter.

8. Size seems possible, compared to other DCS maps: There is about 790 km from Bodø to Murmansk. Compared to the Caucasus map, there is about 720 km from Anapa to Tblisi.

I hope this will happen one day. It would be a perfect map in my opinion. :pilotfly:

As I said when I also suggested this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200319

This would really be a good map to showcase DCS graphics with fjords, mountains, valleys and great plains, rivers and lakes, vast forests and wilderness, as well as plenty of ocean to do carrier ops in.

If the map contained Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia/Soviet, there would be plenty of scenarios that could play out. I think that the map should cover from the northernmost parts of mainland Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia, and at least as far south as Bodø, as this is an important fighter base.

The bigger the better of course, and most of it is wilderness, so it would not be as tedious to make as for example downtown Dubai or Las Vegas with hundreds of landmarks and unique buildings. Create some of the most prominent buildings and bridges in the cities and the vast wilderness in between would consist of mountains, rivers, roads and trees, mainly.

It's an exotic location, with polar night and biting cold or winter storms in the winter, and midnight sun and beautiful sights in the summer.

The terrain in the mentioned area is very varied, and you do get a lot of "bang for the buck" in terms of interesting locations to fly and fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As I said when I also suggested this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200319

This would really be a good map to showcase DCS graphics with fjords, mountains, valleys and great plains, rivers and lakes, vast forests and wilderness, as well as plenty of ocean to do carrier ops in.

If the map contained Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia/Soviet, there would be plenty of scenarios that could play out. I think that the map should cover from the northernmost parts of mainland Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia, and at least as far south as Bodø, as this is an important fighter base.

The bigger the better of course, and most of it is wilderness, so it would not be as tedious to make as for example downtown Dubai or Las Vegas with hundreds of landmarks and unique buildings. Create some of the most prominent buildings and bridges in the cities and the vast wilderness in between would consist of mountains, rivers, roads and trees, mainly.

It's an exotic location, with polar night and biting cold or winter storms in the winter, and midnight sun and beautiful sights in the summer.

The terrain in the mentioned area is very varied, and you do get a lot of "bang for the buck" in terms of interesting locations to fly and fight.

If you would extend it just a little more south of Bodø you would also get the war-base at Jokkmokk in Sweden. That would be awesome. But I can settle for just Kiruna and Pajala Airports and a bit of road somewhere, I just want a bit of Sweden for my Viggen.

I totaly understand what you mean with biting cold and exotic, I guess you mean something like this

(Taped in the north of Sweden, Viggens out of F21 at Luleå)

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...