Eurofighter relative flight performance, feat. Gero Finke - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #51
jaguara5

Have you guys flown a bfm fight against a mirage 2000?
jaguara5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #52
Hummingbird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusAM View Post
Well so the limited AOA should not be a big issue if the Typhoon pilot manages to avoid slow flight?Then having a good speed sustainment seems an advantage to me in this aspect as if both planes are at very slow speed (for example vs an Hornet) in a guns-only situation (no iris-t and no aim-9x) the Typhoon could have serious troubles...did i get the picture?
Well it might not even be a problem at low speeds, where Gero mentions the Typhoon will still eat the Hornet. Reason for that is that a lower wing loading also requires a lower AoA to generate the same amount of lift.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #53
VirusAM

Send a message via MSN to VirusAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Well it might not even be a problem at low speeds, where Gero mentions the Typhoon will still eat the Hornet. Reason for that is that a lower wing loading also requires a lower AoA to generate the same amount of lift.

Fair but still the Hornet can point its nose (guns) where the Typhoon cannot at these speed.
So my point is better to avoid the adversary (few) advantages and try to not get slow.
And yes I know the ef2000 has thrust to spare and can easily accelerate...but still there are other good fighters out there (rafale, su35, f22) which won’t forgive a Typhoon pilot mistake (and viceversa).
Joystick grips: Winwing F18, TM F-16
Throttles: Winwing Super Taurus
Hardware: MFG Crosswind Rudder, 4 Thrustmaster Cougar MFD, Logitech G13
VR:Valve Index
VirusAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #54
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etirion View Post
https://youtu.be/CnqV69es0bo?t=1140 about the F18
Like True Grit have said, they'll do their best to get it as accurate as possible, engineering it from the data they can get and airshow performance/public sims and so on, and then use their large experience with the real thing to get it to feel right.
Just wait and see, its a while out anyways, once you gotta put some money down, I'm sure we'll know much more about the flight model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I don't know if it is also written down in this forum but Wags(ED) himself told so in one of the (Fighter Pilot Podcast?) interviews he did. So yeah, it is officially admitted that parts of FM/systems/wepaons are altered from RL performance/capabilitys.
Edit: hah, Etirion has it even with a timestamp
Interesting. Wags was referring to the polar charts. I believe that in the end it's a complaint not much on what the hornet can do aerodynamically but on how it can perform from the point of view of the maneuvering computer. If it were to be only from the aerodynamic perspective it would not make sense because as I said before it's possible to use reverse engineering, so i don't think so, but if this were to be the case ED should specify it in big letters.
This is because a 1:1 reproduction is feasible if allowed, contrary to what "someone" here on the forum said, so it would be necessary to specify when it is known at least for when regarding the fm, what is 1:1 and what no, as FM is often advertised as a 1:1 copy of cards....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupra View Post
all the weapons envelopes, ranges and data, radar function and data, ECM stuff, flight models, target pods and so on are not the real ones...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Yes: https://youtu.be/CnqV69es0bo?t=1050
Sorry to shatter your dreams. I too wish DCS would be 100% accurate (maybe except the dying part). It's not possible unfortunately.
I'm talking about the FM. It's obvious that weapons, avionics, ecm etc ... cannot be disclosed if classified. It's not so obvious for the FM. As far as I am concerned the important thing is that it's credible from the arodynamic and physical point of view, for what concerns the FLCS is another matter, but,i repeat, if the censorship were to be relevant to the point that the things doesn't match even using formulas, charts, CFDs and other stuffs, then it is not good and they have to specify it otherwise they are peddling a 1:1 FM equal to the cards when it is not.

However, I am waiting for an official response from the TrueGrit as some users on the forum say that the sensations of the pilots and not the cards are important, in spite of the "realistic flight simulation"
Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #55
Etirion

This is what TITS (TrueGrit2) had to say to someone asking a similar question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit2 View Post
The EM diagramms are classified, but it will be very very very close to them.
So, we will present the BFM-Beast, the Typhoon really is
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...08#post4449308
Etirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #56
Hummingbird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusAM View Post
Fair but still the Hornet can point its nose (guns) where the Typhoon cannot at these speed.
So my point is better to avoid the adversary (few) advantages and try to not get slow.
And yes I know the ef2000 has thrust to spare and can easily accelerate...but still there are other good fighters out there (rafale, su35, f22) which won’t forgive a Typhoon pilot mistake (and viceversa).
My point was that what the EF lacks in available AoA, it makes up for in actual lift to push the nose around, due to the low wing loading. It's the same reason the M2000 is also so dangerous in a slow speed scissors vs a Hornet, despite having only about half the AoA available - the low wing loading allows it the extra rate to make up for the lack of AoA.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #57
Southernbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert View Post
Wait a sec, let me understand. The data are classified and that is why it clearly cannot be distributed to the public, but in the end it will be legally possible to create the exact FM of the Eurofighter in the sim or will it be modified to protect classified data?
If this is the case, this module should no longer be considered as a study level sim, and consequently, in addition to reporting the fact, a lower price should be applied.
U know ED was using Limiter information from NASA for the Viper for the longest time right? because of that the thing kicks in at 5gs and its only since a friend of mine gave them the proper documents are they going to change it. The FMs of these planes are as correct as the Typhoon is going to be to their IRL versions

Last edited by Southernbear; 09-16-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Southernbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:33 AM   #58
coduster

Many thanks for the info - so much the better to get it straight from a person with your experience!

I never really knew that much about Typhoon or Raptor (both after my service time), and didn't really care about Typhoon until hearing more about it from you and your team.

Previously, my most eagerly awaited DCS "dream plane" was the upcoming F-15E, and I never even bother ed wishing for a Raptor. Now that I'm learning about Typhoon, it seems like I might just have a new favorite aircraft.

Thanks for all you've done in your career, and also for bringing just a small taste of the fun part to the rest of us!
coduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #59
Steph21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coduster View Post
didn't really care about Typhoon until hearing more about it from you and your team
Same here. I've been reading a lot about it since it has been announced and i am discovering a lot of great capabilities and features.

Also very confident in the high fidelity of the product with all the Typhoon knowledge available in TG team, and partnership they have.
Steph21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #60
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert View Post
I'm talking about the FM.
And so does Wags in the link I provided you...

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote