Easy to land - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
freemind_fly

Default Easy to land

I find the P-47 quite easy to bring to takeoff and land compared to the P-51D. Can someone elaborate a bit? Is it the shorter tail and wider landing gear? Or just CG more favourable? Or simply the flight model?

How is the Spitfire in comparison?
freemind_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
BuzzU
Veteran

I think the Spitfire is the hardest.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Northstar98

Funnily enough, though there might be other reasons for it, I find the P-47 absolutely impossible for me to land the P-47.

This is a good representation of the noise I make when landing the P-47

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cHQdNq
Northstar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
rrohde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
I think the Spitfire is the hardest.
Then you haven't tried the I-16

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Gear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:15 AM   #5
BuzzU
Veteran

You're right. I had enough of that plane in IL2.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
LeCuvier

I find the Jug extremely well-behaved in general and that includes take-off and landing. It might be a bit easier than the Mustang, although I've never found the Mustang hard to land. The Spit feels certainly more difficult due to the "strange" way you steer on the ground (like the Mig-21), and the Bf-109 also seems more difficult to land - to me it always feels as if she was creating her own cross-wind. The worst of all certainly is the I-16, but if you can take off and land the Ishak you can do it with any other taildragger. "Think Russian!"
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Art-J
Veteran

The Jug is on the somewhat difficult side for me as far as landings are concerned, but that's only because of abysmal forward visibility, when you have to get into a bit of a nose-up attitude even during approach to maintain low sink rate. Steep, curved approaches only help so much. It's worse even than 190 A8 in this regard, but of course, just requires getting used to.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
RodBorza

Strangely enough I disagree with all the posts above. I guess piloting is a very personal and individual experience.

Anyway, landing for me is:
1) P47 is the hardest
2) P-51 was the hardest, but I've trained this to exhaustion now I can fly it;
3) Spitfire was always the easiest.

The Jug in particular was impossible for me until they've released the first patch. That changed everything.

As a general rule, for the three birds, I use this: 120 knots/mph on approach and in landing config, using throttle to maintain descent rate to -500 ~ -1000 fpm. And never, never ever cutting the throttle as crossing runway threshold, but maintaning the throttle at -500 fpm before touchdown. The Mustang taught me to touch softly as its undercarriage is made of glass.
In the Jug you can use a little more of abuse, as it is more rugged and can handle a hard landing (after the patch, before, it had a glass undercarriage too).

Once at the runway threshold, roundout, don't flare, and let the bird touch down softly. Once on the ground, cut the throttle and let it roll down the runway filed.

All aproaches I start at 1,000 ft above field elevation, the only exception is the Jug to which I use 500 feet as instructed in the manual. The Jug likes to be down low.

YouTube: SloppyDog
RodBorza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #9
Swagger897

I've read and viewed conflicting reports about flying the P47 and that's the first to say to come in low. Most I've seen have been about starting high and slow when on final and crabbing to have a runway picture.

Personally I find it easy to do either standard pattern work or the crab approach and kicking the tail back in line before a 3 point landing. I think however that the struts lack any sort of dampening and the aircraft bottoms out far too easily. I've tested this with a power on and power off approach and both end in the same result where the struts simply just collapse. The only way to grease a 3 point I've found is to continue to fly the aircraft all the way until lift is completely lost at a steady rate.
Swagger897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
dvt12

Flaps certainly make a huge difference in the 47 too! And keeping an eye on your peripherals as you round out!
dvt12 is offline   Reply With Quote